RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty much made up my mind on a '15 Laramie Crew 6-4 bed. I love the look of the longhorn but I really don't want that monster center console tHats obligatory with that package. You get the same buckets with the "bench" option as you would with the console and I love the comfort of the fold down center console and the option of a 6th passenger. Chrysler: offer bench in limited and longhorn models!
Now the engine choice. I've driven both and I've done the math and as much as I want the efficiency of this diesel, it just doesn't add up!?!
1) seat of the pants power. I drove a 3.92 hemi with an 8 speed...it's a rocket! You need to put it in 4 wheel and turn off the trac ctl to get it to hook up. The eco diesel reminds me of my friends VW Jetta TDI. No snap off the line, a heavy front end & 12' more stopping distance 60-0....don't think it fits my personality.

2) no rambox option. 6-4 Rambox adds too much dead weight to the truck and therefore can't be ordered with the ED in this configuration. What does that tell you?

3) Predicted reliability & resale. This engine was designed by GM and Fiat, this is NOT A CUMMINS or a Cat. The resale value of the truck with largely depend on how reliable the powertrains are in these heavy trucks after the 100,000 mile warranty has expired. We have no statistical data and It's 3.0 liters, and how many mechanics really know how to work on them and what do they charge per hour? The 5.7L hemi has been around over 10 years and we all know people with 200,000 + miles on their hemi's that don't burn oil and still burn the tires.

4) Cost. $2850 up front and about $350 per year more in maintenance and urea driving 20,000 miles. Gas $2.56/gal. Diesel $3.16/gal. That's today Exxon up the street. All this cost to pick up 5 MPG?? Even the optimists (I'm being kind) that say they're getting 30..... Please help me I'm just not seeing the $avings.

5) towing. This is the one place the ED shines. If I were spending 50% of my driving towing a 6000 lb trailer I'd go ED. I'm more like 3%. As far as hauling cargo and light trailers, even with a ton in the back, the hemi only suffers a few mpgs.

So help me out here all you people that went for the eco diesel. Is this another Dodge Magnum novelty that will wear off or am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
It sounds like you have considered all the right things and have already made up your own mind to go with the Hemi. The overall costs are not that different in the long term, unless you are towing or doing long trips. I would suggest buying what you like the best. My only reason for getting the Ecodiesel is because I particularly like diesels, even though, for my use, it is more expensive.

·
Registered
216 Posts
4) Cost. $2850 up front and about $350 per year more in maintenance and urea driving 20,000 miles. Gas $2.56/gal. Diesel $3.16/gal. That's today Exxon up the street. All this cost to pick up 5 MPG?? Even the optimists (I'm being kind) that say they're getting 30..... Please help me I'm just not seeing the $avings.

So help me out here all you people that went for the eco diesel. Is this another Dodge Magnum novelty that will wear off or am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Do you think you'll be able to get 20mpg regularly with the Hemi?

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
At the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself, obviously. For me, I can tell you that I always wanted a diesel, but wanting is not enough for me. The 2500 or 3500 trucks are made for work. I couldn’t justify buying a truck that I had no use for just because I wanted the diesel. So getting into a diesel in a 1500 truck was very appealing.

Secondly, I had to stop driving a pickup a few years ago because I simply couldn’t afford the fuel costs compared with other options available to fill my needs. I missed having a truck. My wife missed having a truck…. Heck, my dogs missed having a truck. The best I ever did was about 17mpg in the last 3 trucks that I owned. I’m getting at least 24 mpg on every tankful so far with the 3D and that’s hand calculated. I had 1 tank that went 26.3 mpg. That’s about 50% better mileage – I am thrilled to be able to drive a truck again, and we recently bought a new travel trailer, so it will be great for that, too.

The only downside I have with the truck is the limited payload and reduced towing compared to the competition. I have towed over 7Klbs. like it wasn’t there, so I’m guessing that it can do a bit better than it’s rated for. I have the 3.55 axle rated at 7850lbs. towing. We’re looking at possibly upgrading the trailer in a couple years and we’re looking at trailers that will likely dress out around 8500 lbs. I’m not worried about that with this truck

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. My 2011 with the 5 speed got 15.8 overall. I'm hoping the 8 speed will get me 17. Does that seem reasonable?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Go with the Hemi, messman. I went through the same exercise as you have, and the bottom line for me is...I like diesel. If you don't already "get" diesel, stick with the Hemi, like so many others, and stop weekly for fuel. No muss, no fuss, no changes in your everyday life for the most part.

I like 700+ MPG on a fill up when road tripping, and almost 600 miles when commuting. I like the torque and its delivery. I have zero need to drive my truck fast (I have a sports car for that). I want comfort, economy, ability and uniqueness. The EcoDiesel is the right fit for me, but then again, I've owned diesel cars before (and we still have a diesel car as my wife's everyday driver).

In 5 years, when these trucks are up for resale and Toyota, Nissan and GM all have mid-size and full-size pickups with light duty diesel son the roads here (all planned, I might add), your concerns about who will work on them, longevity, resale prices, etc. will all be moot. In the meantime, I'll stick with seeing 31 MPG every time I drive from Seattle to Vancouver or Portland. The Hemi will never come close. ;)

And there's the rub. I'm not in this for absolute power. If I was, the GM twins with their big numbers would have earned my dollars, or maybe a Hemi, but honestly, I see so many around, it kills me to think of being part of the pack - but that's a personal issue I have. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I didn't buy the ED to have a fast car or "rocket"; my 10 second Grand National is for that. That said, I'm consistenly getting 6-10 mpg better than my old Silverado 5.3 liter and enjoying every minute of driving the truck.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like whatever I am driving to have plenty of power on tap. I would call the ED adequate not fast. I won't bring my LS5 Chevelle out in the winter due to salt in New England. Ram should just drop Eco from the name. I read somewhere that break even is 140,000 miles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No. My 2011 with the 5 speed got 15.8 overall. I'm hoping the 8 speed will get me 17. Does that seem reasonable?
That sounds reasonable:) I would love a Hemi but I know if the power is there I'll use it and the mpg will drop.:eek::p
I like whatever I am driving to have plenty of power on tap. I would call the ED adequate not fast. I won't bring my LS5 Chevelle out in the winter due to salt in New England. Ram should just drop Eco from the name. I read somewhere that break even is 140,000 miles.
The break even point can be all over the place depending on what factors are taken account and there are many more than just fuel and maintenance costs.

Currently, around here diesel is cheaper than gas.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I might be wrong here, but diesels tend to outlast gasoline motors in terms of long term reliability. Maintainance is more expensive...

That being said, do you do a lot of hwy driving? If so, are you keeping the vehicle for a long period of time? Of so I would seriously consider the diesel.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds reasonable:) I would love a Hemi but I know if the power is there I'll use it and the mpg will drop.:eek::p

The break even point can be all over the place depending on what factors are taken account and there are many more than just fuel and maintenance costs.

Currently, around here diesel is cheaper than gas.
This comes from TRUCK TREND
Break Even Point: 142,600 miles
Based on AAA’s current national fuel price averages of $3.43 per gallon of gasoline and $3.80 per gallon of diesel. Ram 1500 Hemi V-8 has an average EPA fuel economy of 18 mpg combined, and the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel V-6 has an average EPA fuel economy of 23 mpg combined.

Read more: Ram Tough Dilemma: Hemi vs. EcoDiesel

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
This comes from TRUCK TREND
Break Even Point: 142,600 miles
Based on AAA’s current national fuel price averages of $3.43 per gallon of gasoline and $3.80 per gallon of diesel. Ram 1500 Hemi V-8 has an average EPA fuel economy of 18 mpg combined, and the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel V-6 has an average EPA fuel economy of 23 mpg combined.

Read more: Ram Tough Dilemma: Hemi vs. EcoDiesel

You've clearly done your research, and it appears the EcoDiesel isn't for you. At least it seems clear to me. So far your posts have all been data against buying the EcoDiesel.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You've clearly done your research, and it appears the EcoDiesel isn't for you. At least it seems clear to me. So far your posts have all been data against buying the EcoDiesel.
I have done the research and found that truck trend article which is fairly non bias, but I have not completely decided and have an open mind. I know overall I will get 16 or 17 mpg in the hemi and I have a fairly heavy foot. What can I expect in the ED? A friend has a reg cab 8' bed 4x4 ED he bought for a parts runner. Although he got 30mpg once on a 200 mile flat highway trip once, he's averaging 22-23 overall. Does that seem average?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Diesel is long term thinking and investment. You'll kick yourself in a couple of months when the price of gas skyrockets. IMO.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live in Massachusetts. The liberals up here hate diesel fuel and tax the **it out of it. Reparations I think lol. It's always going to be .55-.60 cents higher than 87 gas here .....unless I pump my home heating oil. New thread!!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I live in Massachusetts. The liberals up here hate diesel fuel and tax the **it out of it. Reparations I think lol. It's always going to be .55-.60 cents higher than 87 gas here .....unless I pump my home heating oil. New thread!!!!
Dude... I'm in Canada. You don't know nothing about being taxed my friend. To me that's just another justification for the 3D. At a minimum 30% more efficient I figure that's also a 30% tax saving.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dude... I'm in Canada. You don't know nothing about being taxed my friend. To me that's just another justification for the 3D. At a minimum 30% more efficient I figure that's also a 30% tax saving.
Agreed but you get free healthcare lol. But diesel is cheaper than gas up there no? Mass taxes diesel at a higher rate.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Gas around Toronto is roughly about $1/Litre or slightly less now (haven't been looking). Diesel at my last fill up was $1.10/Litre but the price varies up too +/- 10 cents depending what gas retailer. Diesel was cheaper before the price of gas started to decline earlier this fall.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts