RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"DIESEL PREHEAT PLEASE WAIT" and "SERVICE ETC"

So, this past Sunday (8 Feb 15, -20c), my wife remote starts the truck. 10 minutes later, she and the kids head off to the truck, to leave for hockey. This message was displayed in the EVIC Land vehicle Vehicle Car Gauge Speedometer (Picture was taken after)

She waited another 5 minutes, and the message went away. Goes to hockey, no problems. Halfway home (about a 40KM trip) the message is displayed again, then shut of, then came on again, then shut off, then the MIL illuminated.
She phones me at work, and asks me "WTF". I had no idea, but I said "I think a glow plug must be bad".
Monday, she takes it to our dealership, the scan it, and say its a shot glow plug. (33k km). Have to order one in, should be here in 3 days. She phones me, and tells me what the dealer says, I was a little upset, because our 08 Jeep GC CRD never had a glow plug replaced in nearly 300k, unlike our Jetta TDI, that seamed to eat them.

Anyway, my dealer calls me today, to tell me my glow plug is in. I ask him if he heard anything about the ETC re: intercoolers freezing up. He said he had just gotten a message from Chrysler a week ago or so, suggesting that Winter Fronts should be used, to help resolve the problem. I ask if Ram was covering the cost of the winter fronts, and he said he didn't think so, because Ram just came out with them, but the 2500, and 3500 Cummins come with them from factory. He said that he's sure that if WE had that problem, they (the dealership) would cover the cost of the RAM ECODIESEL Winter front.

So, this evening (11 Feb 15) my wife texts me 25km from home, the ETC (Service Electronic Throttle Control) light came on, and now is in LIMP MODE (1st gear, 60km max) (-20c). Go figure, I had just talked to the dealer about this.
She makes it home, and is one pissed off lady. I'm a little pissed too. I tell her about the conversation I had earlier with the dealer. Odd.

Tomorrow (Thursday) the truck goes in to get the "Glow Plug" installed, and now to resolve AGAIN the ETC (dealer is unaware of the Serv ETC). I'm hoping its nothing, but, deep down, I have a feeling that the INTERCOOLER is "Iced up".
Luckily, our dealership is awesome, and already lined up a loaner for us, because my wife will drop off the truck, then go to work (60km away). I will be on the phone to the dealership before my wife gets there for 0800h, and tell them whats going on now. I will ask that they check for the foam (3x pieces), check/drain ice/water in intercooler, and check/replace MAP if required. AND, IF, in fact, the intercooler is iced, to place/order the winter front. Should I ask anything else?

Will keep y'all posted.

Cheers.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Gauge Speedometer Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Car Auto part Speedometer Gauge Vehicle Car Auto part

Edit: Added pics of ETC

·
Premium Member
14,050 Posts
Good luck with it. Glad you are so calm and reasonable. Good dealer must be part of that equation.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

UPDATE:

New glow plug installed, and intercooler was frozen (iced up).
Pick our truck up tomorrow with a new winter front. They didn't have any Ram Ecodiesel Winter Fronts in stock, so I'm getting an aftermarket "knock off".

So here is my loaner
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Notice the winter grill inserts?
(2014 Ecodiesel SLT)
My dealership, as always, awesome.

Will keep ya'll posted.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

UPDATE: #2

Today was the first day that I drove the loaner around with the Winter Inserts. I drove 60km on the HWY at 110km/h, and did some stops in town. What I noticed, with the Winter inserts compared to my 3D

Loaner Truck warmed up faster (only -10c today)
Coolant temp +-10 degrees higher
Trans Temp never reached 80c
Oil Tem +-12 deg higher
I found it odd that the trans never reached 80. I told my service manager about it.....just in case.

Picked up my truck. First, I'm not a fan of the Winter front. I will shop around for some inserts. (Anyone know where I can get inserts for a Laramie?) Dealer apologized for the cover, said it's all he had in stock, besides, it was free.

Drove 40km home. Things I noticed (-10c)
temp hovered around 105c -110 (was 94-95c without front)
Trans temp normal (85-87c)
Oil Tem 107-112c (95-97c without front)

Tomorrow, the temp is suppose to drop to a high of -30c.

Dealer said I didn't have much water in my intercooler, only a few ml. Very minimal amount. His tech said that the hoses and such were "frosted on the inside" that caused my service ETC. Chrysler says winter fronts help prevent, hopefully stop this I won't be surprised if in the future, the come with the 3Ds when you buy one, like with the Cummins.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

Thats it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nemesis,

You can get those inserts from IOR.ca in Edmonton. Send them a email and they will quote you the set as well as shipping. I got it for 147$ + 25$ shipping + GST. It looks a lot more nicer than the cold front. But as it was free, I would live with it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
At what temp would put on or take off the winter front ?
When you read ''engine overheat''... Seriously, when the ambient temp stays steadily over -10C, I will remove it. Right now I can spend a day on the road at temp around -10C and it stays in a good range either coolant/oil.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would like that blanket cover just to help warm up faster even if I had to stop and open it after it warmed up we've only had a few days of cold weather and my truck didn't warm up fully before I had to park at work , I live in Texas and can only imagine how long it takes to warm up in Canada or just up north in general , brrrrr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nemesis , the intercoolet iced up , tell them to disconect the air intake & plumbing keep it warm and drain watet out ...bad design bro... get weinter cover

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
That cover is butt-hole ugly. I bet it works nice though. I had a GMC 1986 Diesel with a similar cover which worked awesome and the summer screen worked choice too.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That cover is butt-hole ugly. I bet it works nice though. I had a GMC 1986 Diesel with a similar cover which worked awesome and the summer screen worked choice too.
That's putting it nicely. I hate it, but it does the job, and it was free, so, I shouldn't complain. I will replace it with inserts before next winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts