RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 ED 125,000 km, suddenly developed an "old cummins" sound at idle and under 1500 rpm. It becomes more pronounced in drive. It goes away at cruising speed. During a cold start, (winter) it sounds very much like my '99 cummins did and quiets down to a dull roar when warming up. It sounds like it coming from the driver side. I suspect an injector is faulty. it is not an internal engine knock, it is a diesel knock/rattle. I can't find any further diagnostic information, nor replacement procedure anywhere. it does not have any codes.

I'm not sure if my OBDii computer can show any issues in this regard.

Any help would appreciated.

C

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you plug it in for a couple hours before starting, bet it gets much quieter. Also try a cetane improver additive in your fuel. My bulk diesel supplier says winter diesel has a lower cetane. I noticed mine got louder after I tuned with GDE at 5,000 miles , now at 102,000 miles and it hasn't blown up, yet....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I noticed mine got louder after having the AEM installed. It could also be the winter fuel as someone else mentioned or a combination of the two.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I usually plug mine in and its a non issue. This weekend i was at my Inlaws all day with the truck sitting in the 30's. At night when i cranked it up it sounded like someone was shaking a tin can full of nuts and bolts under the hood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's not cold enough for that. Although it will get a bit noisier when cold, (this is my 3rd winter with it) This is isolated to one side and will rattle even when fully warmed up. It has had diesel fuel treatment religiously and regular filter changes.
I noticed mine got louder after having the AEM installed. It could also be the winter fuel as someone else mentioned or a combination of the two.
It started mid tank.

I was thinking maybe it started leaking pressure and is not atomizing properly.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hi: podhauler... I've been "Rattled" by to many things with this truck. The other day it started wheezing on deceleration or when changing gears. I hope it's not headed to the chopping block!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
It's not cold enough for that. Although it will get a bit noisier when cold, (this is my 3rd winter with it) This is isolated to one side and will rattle even when fully warmed up. It has had diesel fuel treatment religiously and regular filter changes.

It started mid tank.

I was thinking maybe it started leaking pressure and is not atomizing properly.
On mine you can hear the HPFP on the passenger side when you start it. You can also hear it if you drive by a concrete barrier or fence etc. with the windows down. it is more pronounced in the cold.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My 2016 is louder cold as well I'm thinking it is the HPFP. Winter and Arctic fuel have higher cetane ratings basically more Kerosene content, diesels usually run quieter on winter and Arctic fuel probably less ignition delay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back to the original post, Podhauler, you know your truck and if you say it sounds different it is worth checking out. You have owned the thing for 3 years, you know when it sounds different. The commit about starting at half tank, I would check your fuel filter for water and contamination. Its easy and low cost. Cold fuel might not flow as well if the filter is a little clogged.

I would also check the primary lift pump in the tank, are you getting enough pressure to the HPFP. Those two items should be easy enough to check and verify.

After that, use a screwdriver or automotive stethoscope to help you find the new noise.

I had a to replace a fuel sender on an older vehicle one time. I could not get one for diesel and had to use a gasoline version. Everything was the same except for the pickup sock. During the winter, fuel thickens a bit and it caused a restriction. My solution was to remove the sock.

Good luck

Brian

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hot Shot Diesel Extreme will help with the noise, have you checked the exhaust flange bolts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I'll find out tomorrow! I think my EGR cooler just let go I think...

Lost power and steam was coming from the air box. Smelled like coolant.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If it had you'd be in flames, the tic was a bearing on the crankshaft seizing, and slowing down the comedy until it seized.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
If it had you'd be in flames, the tic was a bearing on the crankshaft seizing, and slowing down the comedy until it seized.
Do you actually believe that wow. If the engine is getting feed coolant it can and often well cause a tick or knock when cold. If it was a main issue it would get worse as it warmed up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts