RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a rookie when it comes to diesel engines. With the vast experience that is on this sight, I looking for information and tricks on the day to day driving and all seasons. For example, I pick my daughter up from work and I have to wait 5 minutes for her to get out. Do I shut the diesel down or let it run while I wait? At what temperature outside do I start it and let it idle before I use it? How long should it run? I did read the hint about the timer for the engine block heater in winter. Please share your experience with a diesel.
Thanks, Blesch

·
Registered
231 Posts
I live in California, but bought the block heater in case I hit the mountains during the winter. I have attempted to warm my engine up 10-15 minutes prior to my drive to work in the morning, but it just doesnt seem to get warm enough to make it worth while. My engine still doesnt reach operating temperature with the warm up. I just take it easy on the interstate until it gets to operating temperature. Its been 50-55 degrees in the morning here so its not really cold at all. I dont let it idle either because it causes the DPF to fill up with additional soot. That will just cause you to go into a regeneration mode and use up more fuel. I will only be idling when I go towing and need to cool down my turbo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When you warm it up for 10-15 minutes isnt that idling or is there a difference? I am too going to be new to diesels so I am clueless

1 - 3 of 3 Posts