RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of researching a new Ecodiesel purchase. Where I am from (in Michigan), I can buy a Big Horn Ecodiesel for $40,665 and a Hemi with all the same options for $32,760. I plan on putting around 10-12,000 miles per year and keeping it for 10 years. It will be used for a lawn business in the summer, commute back and forth to work in the other seasons and occasionally pull a 4000 lb boat to the lake. At what final number do you say, maybe the Hemi is the way to go?
Thank you for your replies,
Blesch

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Something is NOT right with those prices. Go to another dealer. They are the same truck with that engine price difference and another $500 for a beefier transmission.

·
Registered
334 Posts
They have some incentives now which do not apply to the diesel. Also some models have restrictions like the 20" wheels on the outdoorsman or bighorn and bucket seats. Also the diesel can be 3350 more than the hemi depending upon which transmission is behind it. Those numbers are not unbelievable. That said I would check somewhere else.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bleach, I costed out a hemi vs an Ecodiesel, and for the cost differential in Pennsylvania, and driving 12,000 miles, the hemi was about 200 dollars more in fuel...

What you have to realize, is a lot of folks on the site have owned diesels in the past, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and want a diesel because they prefer the features of a diesel engine.... low RPM torque, good economy, longevity.... and it's a diesel, plus resale.

Sounds like a gas motor would work for you. For me, spending over 40K on a truck... and having owned a Duramax and a Cummins, it's either diesel or nothing... that's not to impugn the quality of the Hemi 5.7, it's just a choice, and this diesel with the 8 speed is, and will be a great package.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That cost difference looks a little extreme but I understand the thinking. I have been going back and forth for similar reasons too. One thing I would like to know is the life expectancy of a gas engine. Would the Hemi be toast at 150K miles? If so, if you plan to keep the truck till the end, a diesel might pay off. I have 2 Ford 7.3 diesels and one is at 265K mile and the engine still runs as new. No oil use, starts in cold weather. Point is if you plan on using the truck forever, the diesel would most likely more than pay for itself in the very long haul. Any other opinions on this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Marsman, are you saying there are fanatics in our midst? lol

Bleach, I costed out a hemi vs an Ecodiesel, and for the cost differential in Pennsylvania, and driving 12,000 miles, the hemi was about 200 dollars more in fuel...

What you have to realize, is a lot of folks on the site have owned diesels in the past, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and want a diesel because they prefer the features of a diesel engine.... low RPM torque, good economy, longevity.... and it's a diesel, plus resale.

Sounds like a gas motor would work for you. For me, spending over 40K on a truck... and having owned a Duramax and a Cummins, it's either diesel or nothing... that's not to impugn the quality of the Hemi 5.7, it's just a choice, and this diesel with the 8 speed is, and will be a great package.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the replies. I currently have the 2005 Ram Hemi without any issues to date. My intial plan was to buy the Ecodiesel but the price difference had me thinking and comparing.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
My 2003 ram1500 with a hemi has 461632 on it.... and yes that isn't a mistype! mind you its pretty much fucked now...

·
Registered
281 Posts
WTF! Not too shabby for a gasser! Just walk away and be proud... And buy an ED. Crap! We hope to get that many miles out of our diesels.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I already order my ecodiesel on march 12th.... it's been done since april 2nd sitting in the conner yard awaiting shipping....I'm very proud of the old girl, I just ran a 313 long trip with it yesturday to come up to the farm....its making some aweful noises though, I really need that new truck soon!

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Friend is currently running his Chevrolet 8 cylinder gasser he bought new. Just passed 310,000 miles. There have been lots of repairs but the engine is still running with a minimum of problems today.

·
Registered
555 Posts
As stated by others - I would double check the price on the Diesel. Should not be that much more (unless there is an extra incentive on Gas that I am not aware of). Sounds like your biggest concern is economy - i.e. will you recover what you paid on the diesel to be worth it. For myself I ran the fuel numbers, using combined mileage - 1 set for the Hemi, and 1 set for the Diesel (based on posts coming out now, it actually looks like my numbers were too low - which is great for me since I ordered a diesel..lol).

For me - I would pay off the diesel upgrade in about 4.5 years, just in fuel savings alone. While diesel is more expensive than gas - I would also be filling up less then I would be gas (worked out to 1.5 weeks for Gas that I would have to fill up, compared to every 2 weeks for diesel). When towing gets added to the mix, the numbers get even better. The diesel barely changes - loses maybe 2 to 3 mpg. The Hemi loses almost 10 mpg when towing (from what I understand cylinder deactivation does not enable when towing, which makes sense - but also explains the fuel numbers).

Anyway - I am biased towards diesel. Not that I don't like the Hemi - I just like the idea of a Diesel better.

From your mileage estimates, you may even pay off the diesel faster. However - I was also only paying about $2500 more for for a Diesel truck, compared to Gas. The spread you are seeing between Gas Truck/Diesel Truck has to be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

That's the best way of looking at this new truck....

There are so many threads (on other boards) saying how you will never recover the costs. But, if I'm coming from a 2500 (about $10k more) AND... if I'm not really towing to the cap of the 3/4 ton... then this new truck is a BARGIN !!!!

As far as the price spread... I think the dealer is swaying your purchase. I bet he as a bunch of Hemi's... and NO ecodiesels on the lot. SO... if you order one, he has no idea what the rebates will be 2~3 months from now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I went to the dealer today to put together a configuration preview for a Big Horn Ecodiesel and Hemi. The Eco came in at $40,241 and the Hemi was $35.241. I left saying I would make a decision as soon as my 2005 Hemi sold. I recieved a phone call from a potential buyer on the way home. The Hemi sold and I called to order the Ecodiesel. FYI: They had a white Big Horn Ecodiesel on the lot for sale.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd recommend going to the EPA's website fueleconomy.gov and click find a car, then use the compare side by side tool. I used it to compare both the hemi and ED. It even gives you the option to Personalize by choosing miles driven per year, % of city driving vs highway, and entering fuel prices in your area. Then it gives you the annual fuel cost to drive each vehicle. With my personalized figures I stand to save $1300/yr by going with the Ecodiesel instead of the hemi. Over the 10 years I plan on keeping it I stand to save an estimated $13000 in fuel costs. That's huge! Add to that the higher resale for the Diesel and it's a no brainier for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts