RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a long time to make me decision on the new truck, but was finally swayed by a great article.

News: Ram 1500 diesel payoff revisited

Ended up with an EcoDiesel 1500, 4x4, Laramie Limited. I swear it was a special order that was cancelled, because it has everything! So far, daily commute of 50 miles is giving me about 25 mpg. Love the truck and being the geek that I am, I love all of the features and gadgets. Still trying to figure out everything. So far the only annoyance is that my iPhone doesn't appear to be compatible with the uconnect text feature.

Enjoying the forum here. Fun to see everyone excited about the new engine.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm glad there's an article that actually swayed someone to the ED. But here's my stance. (I know, sounding like a broken record)

1) Most of us just want a diesel, so "Payback" doesn't factor in. BUT, knowing that... look at it this way... .We save $10,000 buying an ED over buying a 2500 Cummins.

2) With simple REAL LIFE FUEL SAVINGS from my 2010 4.7L v-8 Ram 1500.... and today's prices... I'm saving $1100/yr in fuel !! That covers 2 payments a year.

Congrats on your decision.

Reactions: DataRider

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Had to forward that article to two of my Hemi friends. Both are interested now. Both tow a lot. Both are sick of the Hemi BS.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I worked it out that the per mile basis really works out in my favor. Not including any higher resale values, and I did not include maintenance. (I figured maintenance would end up about the same - I change oil in my gas engine between 4-5000 miles. I figured I would change the oil in an ED about 7500-8000 miles - roughly half as much but at a higher cost.) DEF is pretty cheap at truck stops - one close by has it at the pump at $2.79/gal., so that was not really a cost factor

To travel 10,000 miles in the ED would take just over 434 gallons of fuel (using 23mpg as an average). Diesel is $3.99 where I live, some places a little less but to be conservative I used that number. 434 X 3.99 = $1,734.78 (fuel costs for 10,000 miles)

To travel those same 10,000 miles in my Hemi powered Ram, it uses 666 gallans of fuel, averaging 15mpg combined - and this is actually being generous to my truck. I sometimes come out to 13.9 - 14.3mpg for a fill up if I do a lot of city driving. Those same 10,000 miles cost $2,366, using the cost of 87 octane at $3.55. (About 1/4 the time I use 89 octane if I am carrying a load or going to tow something, but again using the lowest number to be conservative)

So a very conservative estimate of savings of $632 in fuel for 10,000 miles. I generally travel much further than that in a year, but used that number to have a rough idea of the costs. (I used the highest costs of diesel fuel in my area and lowest current costs of gasoline in my area and what I felt were good estimates of fuel mileage)

I also noticed that the price for gasoline seems to move quite a bit more than diesel. Diesel has stayed between $3.95 - $3.99 for a very long time around here. Gasoline (87 octane) has been $3.49 to as high at $3.87 at the same station.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Anyone have any numbers while towing? My rudimentary calculations on a 4000 KM trip saved me almost $250 on one trip. Twice a year gets me $500. In 3 years with just 2 trips the payback is there. and last year there were 7 trips.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have two hemi's at work they get 13-14
I get 23-24
Pretty easy for me to decide

Diesel is 40 cents more a gallon here
Vs the cheapest gas
In my gas truck I rAn 89 or 91and got a little better mileage
So cost isn't much difference between fuel
10-15 cents a gallon

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can only compare to the 4.7 V8 that I had most recently.

4.7 V8 - 16.5 mpg average, gas is $3.63 in my area now, so 10,000 miles fuel would cost $2197.
3.0 V6 EcoD - 25.1 mpg so far, diesel averages $3.90 here so 10,000 miles fuel would cost $1553. (I actually have been getting diesel much cheaper at $3.72 but I used average numbers where I live).

A savings of $644 over my previous ride for every 10,000 miles is great. That says this diesel will pay for it's additional $4,000 cost at about 62,000 miles, which for me will be about 3 years.

I'm pleased!

Fule

·
Registered
241 Posts
I figure that I am saving between $250-300 a month in fuel with this truck over my Cummins and not driving the wife's Pilot as much. The payment on this is $10 a month cheaper than my Cummins also. I just wish that they would stick this engine in the Durango as there would be one in the garage also.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Took a long time to make me decision on the new truck, but was finally swayed by a great article.

News: Ram 1500 diesel payoff revisited

Ended up with an EcoDiesel 1500, 4x4, Laramie Limited. I swear it was a special order that was cancelled, because it has everything! So far, daily commute of 50 miles is giving me about 25 mpg. Love the truck and being the geek that I am, I love all of the features and gadgets. Still trying to figure out everything. So far the only annoyance is that my iPhone doesn't appear to be compatible with the uconnect text feature.

Enjoying the forum here. Fun to see everyone excited about the new engine.
The fuel/gasoline comparative point is supposed to be to the mid-grade unleaded price. Diesel is $3.59 at the local Exxon station. Mid grade no lead jumped to $3.69 yesterday. It completely turns the payoff time issue upside down. I am so glad to have the diesel. I too have a 4x4 Laramie loaded up. The reason you iPhone does not work with the text feature is Apple does not support this feature.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The fuel/gasoline comparative point is supposed to be to the mid-grade unleaded price. Diesel is $3.59 at the local Exxon station. Mid grade no lead jumped to $3.69 yesterday. It completely turns the payoff time issue upside down. I am so glad to have the diesel. I too have a 4x4 Laramie loaded up. The reason you iPhone does not work with the text feature is Apple does not support this feature.

Where in the Houston area are you? Were you out and about on 249 today?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only thing missing in this discussion is that at least in my area, the gas engine gets a $2000 incentive that is not available on the diesel. So the upfront cost differential is greater than the article states. If the incentives were the same for both or not available for both, the diesel would be an easy choice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm glad there's an article that actually swayed someone to the ED. But here's my stance. (I know, sounding like a broken record)

1) Most of us just want a diesel, so "Payback" doesn't factor in. BUT, knowing that... look at it this way... .We save $10,000 buying an ED over buying a 2500 Cummins.

2) With simple REAL LIFE FUEL SAVINGS from my 2010 4.7L v-8 Ram 1500.... and today's prices... I'm saving $1100/yr in fuel !! That covers 2 payments a year.

Congrats on your decision.
I agree wholeheartedly on both. I just want a diesel again as I've owned two MB prior to the AdBlue revolution. My current 1500 Sierra is very thirsty! All of us are just big kids with cash. I want what I want, this is not a necessity for me, but a simple desire to have diesel. Yep, that qualifies me as nuts.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Residual value is used to determine monthly lease payments. Maybe I'm way off but I think it makes little sense in a cost of ownership calculation. For those selling their own EDs, I'd expect values to be much more than $23k in three years.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Residual value is used to determine monthly lease payments. Maybe I'm way off but I think it makes little sense in a cost of ownership calculation. For those selling their own EDs, I'd expect values to be much more than $23k in three years.
So are you saying it is or isn't beneficial to lease a ecodiesel? I'm currently considering leasing one so I'm interested in some comparative details.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I was able to get a $2000 incentive on the diesel, plus $500 from Chrysler Finance.

My old vehicle was a Sedan (I've missed a truck) and it required premium unleaded. Diesel is 20 cents cheaper and my 25 mpg is surprising comparable. When I compare against my wife's MDX which also requires premium, my RAM is much cheaper per mile. I've not had a diesel before, so I appreciated the article's discussion about maintenance cost.

I must admit, that the initial lag off the line is a bit bothersome, but it's a small trade off.

Wasn't me near 249.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Take your iphone off of imessaging and it should work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts