RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

diesels on the lot

14K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  ph363 
#1 ·
Just read the toronto sun paper dealer advertizing 2 eco diesels on lot and 5 in transit ones on the lot 1 laramie priced at 55,280 and the other doesn't say model but priced at 37,370 must be sxt

#3 ·
I keep looking at all my local dealers to see if any on the lot or in transit. Nada. I am also looking in the railyards. One of my trips, I will have 1500 diesels.

#6 ·
Keep in mind that a lot of dealers have it set up that when a vehicle hits their inventory, it automatically goes up on their website. So a lot of the vehicles in transit may be sold orders. My vehicle shows up on cars.com and my dealers website. Just an FYI.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I highly doubt that these are customer ordered vehicles. These are probably the ones that they started to make the third week of January that were for the dealer's to demo or at least I hope. Besides they only had around 400 customer orders. People get confused when they say 8000 ordered the beginning of February as these were dealer's ordering them for their inventory and not customer orders.

#10 ·
Funny thing, I emailed a Toronto dealership yesterday to find out if their $13k discount on Laramie was available with the diesel, they emailed me this morning saying they had one and the discount applied, I assumed it was just another ploy to get me in the door, but maybe it wasn't, lol

#13 ·
One of my local dealers has one on the way! I do check at least 8 different local dealers. Actually, one is where my hotel is where work stores me until my train home is ready.

#14 ·
I received this as a PDF in an email last last week from a dealership in Phoenix, AZ area. There are six that they sent me. Look carefully at the order dates. How did the dealership order them on this date (one was actually ordered sooner) when ordering wasn't open until Feb?

LARRY H. MILLER DODGE RAM AVONDALE
10101 W. PAPAGO FREEWAY Priced Order Confirmation (POC)
AVONDALE, AZ 853235306
Date Printed: 2014-03-05 1:35 PM VIN: 1C6RR6LM6ES286700 Quantity: 01
Estimated Ship Date: 2014-03-06 1:00 AM VON: U2535215 Status: E - Framing
Date Ordered: 2014-01-14 12:00 AM
Sold to: Ship to:
LARRY H. MILLER DODGE RAM AVONDALE
(45604) LARRY H. MILLER DODGE RAM AVONDALE (45604)
10101 W. PAPAGO FREEWAY 10101 W. PAPAGO FREEWAY
AVONDALE, AZ 853235306 AVONDALE, AZ 853235306
Vehicle: 2014 1500 SLT CREW CAB 4X2 (140 in WB 5 FT 7 IN box) (DS1H98)
Sales Code Description MSRP(USD) FWP(USD)
Model: DS1H98 1500 SLT CREW CAB 4X2 (140 in WB 5 FT 7 IN box) 35,445 32,853
Package: 28Z Customer Preferred Package 28Z 730 621
EXF 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel Engine 4,000 3,400
DFD 8-Spd Auto 8HP70 Trans (Buy) 500 425
Paint/Seat/Trim: PS2 Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat 0 0
APA Monotone Paint 0 0
*MJ Premium Cloth Bucket Seats 250 213
-X8 Black/Diesel Gray 0 0
Options: RA3 Uconnect 8.4A AM/FM/BT/Access 505 429
NAS 50 State Emissions 0 0
ADA Luxury Group 560 476
YG4 5.5 Additional Gallons of Diesel 0 21
Discounts: 39J Group Discount 0 0
Destination Fees: 1,195 1,195
HB: 1,260 Total Price: 43,185 39,633
FFP: 39,312
EP: 37,726
Order Type: Retail PSP Month/Week:
Scheduling Priority: 4-Dealer Order Build Priority: 01

#15 ·
Thats funny because when I ordered my truck it showed a build priority of 99. I though ordered trucks got priority.

#18 ·
As of this morning... a couple semi-local dealers show a truck on the lot, and a few more show them in transit.

The funny thing is.... all the crew cabs are "Laramie" trim (+$53k) All the bighorns are all quad cabs.(dam it)

#21 ·
Pittsburgh PA.

Hummm.... I have my location in my profile. Don't know why it's not public.

#22 ·
For people in Eastern Ontario, one black eco diesel quad cab 4x4 slt model arrived at Belleville Chrysler today.

Belleville Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram | Ontario New & Used Car Dealer Serving Campbellford, Cobourg, Trenton ON Its not up on the web site yet however my friend and also a salesman there sent me pictures from his cell phone. If your in the area and want to go and drive it ask for Scott Manley. He worked for me for 10 years in another type of business, he will help you out.

Here are the cell pictures.

View attachment 124

View attachment 125

Sam

#26 ·
Mini review here.

I was only able to coax 19.6 mpg out of the one I test drove today. It was an SLT CC with 6'4" bed and 3.55s. Only drove about 10-12 miles. If it had warmed up longer and it wasn't so cold out it might have helped. I got exactly the same number in a quad cab ST with Pentastar in the same conditions.

It wasn't as peppy as the Pentastar, and the shifts could have been better. Under harder accel the engine could use to shift a little sooner, it get's really flat in the upper rpm. It also felt quite a bit 'bigger' than the Pentastar, likely due to the extra 500-700 lbs of body/hardware. It was a pretty odd truck they ordered in, pretty much a stripped SLT with buckets.

Other things that surprised me is it was plenty obvious it was a diesel, it sounded all diesel with plenty of vibration which could be felt through the wheel at idle. Based on the reviews I expected quieter, but maybe it had something to do with them all driving Laramies. It sounded like a diesel inside too.

That's all for now, time to ponder....

#28 ·
I have put over a hundred miles on my truck now and cant really comment on performance high in the revs, but I can say that my truck is whisper quiet. When its first started on cold mornings, you can hear a little timing rattle, but after that the fuel pump can be heard over the engine. When driving, I can faintly hear the turbo spooling every once and a while, but I have never heard any engine noise or felt any vibrations - it is as smooth as glass. Its orders of magnitude quieter than my buddies 2014 laramie with a hemi, both inside and out.

I havent noticed and hard shifts either. The truck does seem to have a dead spot off idle at certain times but its nothing out of the ordinary for an auto trans. I picked my truck up from a dealer in Louisville and drove it back to Indy on a 65 degree day, the evic read 27.8mpg average for the trip.

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks for the review.

A few things......

1) How cold was it? The colder weather will bring out the "Rattle" in a diesel.

2) Have you owned a diesel truck before? My 5.9 Cummins sounded like an old school bus. Partly because, a lot of those busses used the Cummins ISB engine. BUT, my point is... that engine was CRAZY loud, and I would have to turn off the engine to be able talk on a drive-though speaker. BUT... to be 100% perfectly honest... Diesel guys like me WANT to hear, and feel the engine. If it's too mute... I'd be disappointed.

3) Reflecting on #2... Diesel engines are never peppy like gas. My last Cummins was turned up a bit, and I would still have to mash it down to get to go. But the torque always put a grin on my face. So your comments don't surprise me. (feeling flat, and not peppy)

4) Since you are saying the truck was 500~700 heavier... it may not have been a good comparison. You are right, adding a CC, and other parts make the truck heavier. To get a better feel... you may want to take a Pentastar out in the same chassis/body configuration.

Anyway.... where the diesel will shine is... if you took that truck which felt a little lack-luster, and put a 5000 Lb trailer behind it.... I'm sure it would drive exactly the same, whereas, the Pentastar would feel like it was dragging an anchor. Also... it seems to me, a lot of guys are trying to compare the new diesel to the Pentastar engine. And, you really can't. Utility wise, it needs compared to the Hemi engine. And that's where this engine shines. It tows like the hemi, but gets the MPG of the Pentastar. (actually better MPG)

I almost forgot.....

The new ZF trans has fuzzy logic, and will change it's shift pattern to suit the owner. So, the rough shifting has to be overlooked until it goes though it's learning.

#29 ·
Ya just to be clear the shifts weren't hard, I just felt the timing was off. I'm coming from a diesel car too vs. you coming from a diesel truck so are senses are probably tuned quite a bit different :) I would like to see how it is after a thorough warm up and in nicer weather however I only have that weather half the year, so I would definitely need to plug this vehicle in when at home. I'm going to take the quad cab they have on the lot for a spin tomorrow and see if it's any different.

#34 ·
PH I agree, I would probably drive the truck a month or so before making any decisions. Removing the foam let's a little sound out, but again, folks back in the 80s, when GM made bad diesels, and my family had several of them, folks complained about the noise and sound.

This motor, when I took the test drive in the jeep, it sounded like a diesel for sure on the cold start, but once it warmed up, the motor was very quiet... you could feel it more than hear it... .

Again PH, congrats, the truck looks sharp. I was thnking of the 2 tone gold with tan trim, I may go with white and gold trim. White looks good. My brother's 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins is white. Easy to clean, and always looks pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.