RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering the difference between the 2 generations and if it is only programming. I have probably read it somewhere here but couldn't find the info with the search function. I have a Gen 1 2015 with 40k miles. It's a long story, but I got approval for new engine in my 2015 barely under the powertrain warranty. I was assuming it is a Gen 2 engine being installed, but asking the service advisor over the phone was a waste of time.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,679 Posts
Not sure where your coming up with this 1stGen engine, unless of course you have a prototype Cadillac.
The 2ndGen EcoDiesel is what's installed in the DS body trucks(Gen4 2014-2018, 19C, 20C). There have been some part number revisions of which those have been posted about in various posts on this forum.
The 3rdGen EcoDiesel engine is found in the DT body trucks(Gen5 2020- ), those engines are not backwards compatible without modifications and a dealership wouldn't be doing the install. That's probably why the service advisor was clueless about what you were inquiring about.

·
Registered
265 Posts
+1 on Crash's gen 1/2/3 comments. and there is no way a dealer would be putting a gen 3 engine in your truck.

As for the differences between the gen 2 and gen 3, there are many. IIRC 85% of the gen 3 is new compared to the gen 2. known changes are a new turbo and heads. the gen 2 uses only high pressure EGR, the gen 3 uses high pressure EGR and a new low pressure EGR system. the gen 3 also has pressure sensors in the cylinders to monitor combustion pressure as the engine runs, my understanding is that these are built into the glow plug, which means the glow plugs are also new.

I don't think it has been confirmed, but many speculate that they beefed up the bottom end to fix the issues the gen 2 had with premature bottom end failures. this could be a new crank, new bearings and/or possibly changes to the block.

given that the compression ratio changed, and that they changed the heads, it is likely that they also changed the pistons. and since the peak torque is now lower in the rpm range, they likely changed the cam as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I doubt they changed anything in the bottom end as the change in the grade of oil took care of the bottom end bearings going bad due to the 30 grade oil not having strong enough film strength. Notice that FCA stayed with the 40 grade oil with the new GEN3 ecodiesel, it is far more likely that in order to get more fuel economy out of the ecodisel they had to revise the friction points which the main one is the pistons/rings, the cam was clearly changed to achieve the high HP and torque numbers and to achieve the torque at a lower RPM. The EGR system was changed and as noted in your post if they include some sensor into the glow plugs that would be new, and they would have to use a new intake system and new heads. Pretty much all the 85% new is confined to the upper end of the engine and the emissions system it uses.

The engine block, crankshaft, rods and bearings would account for the remaining 15% that did not change.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Crash68 can you even buy a 2020 Classic with a Diesel engine, I was on the RAM site a few days ago and could not find a build for a 2020 classic that would include the GEN2 ecodiesel, if you want an ecodiesel in 2020 and beyond you have to order the Gen 5 truck with the GEN3 ecodiesel. I think 2019 was the last year in a RAM for the GEN2 ecodiesel and that would be in the classic Laramie model.

·
Registered
245 Posts
3DHawkeye,

You would get a a GEN2 engine in your truck, the new engine is the GEN3 and would not be backwards compatible due to all the changes they made to it and the different emissions components it uses plus your trucks ECM would not have the capability of controlling all the new sensors of the GEN3 ecodiesel engine.

The first ecodiesel was designed to go into a Cadillac when GM owned an interest in VM but that was dropped and FCA purchased an interest in VM and took that engine and called it the ecodiesel and made what ever changes they deemed necessary and that engine became known as the GEN2 ecodiesel, there really was never a GEN1 ecodiesel, the 2019 new body style Rams started using the GEN3 ecodiesel engine in 2020, the new body style 2019 RAM did not have an ecodiesel option.

You could by a 2019 RAM Classic with the GEN2 ecodiesel engine which they labeled as the 2019 RAM 1500 Classic Laramie, this is the old body style RAM. I believe 2020 is the last year for the Classic body style.

There are only three models left of the RAM Classic for the 2020 model year and they are the Tradesman, Express and the Warlock and none of the three can be ordered with an ecodiesel engine.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I doubt they changed anything in the bottom end as the change in the grade of oil took care of the bottom end bearings going bad due to the 30 grade oil not having strong enough film strength.
This isn't completely true. There are many accounts of bottom end bearings going bad on ED's that ran T6 5w-40 their whole life, it isn't a 100% oil weight issue.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This isn't completely true. There are many accounts of bottom end bearings going bad on ED's that ran T6 5w-40 their whole life, it isn't a 100% oil weight issue.
Except the ones that all came from the factory with 5W-30 and was in there for about 10,000 miles . Probably some of the most crucial miles on an engine.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes it is definitely not a 100% Oil issue, that's why the 2020 (G3 engine) is so different. The Chief engineer himself on a video said over 70% of the engine was redesigned. That says a lot right there.

G1/G2 engines have a flaw, that being said, many owners (of the G1/G2's) have gotten 150K to even 350K (Vern) on that engine build. They are not crappy engines, just flawed in the bottom end somehow. Keep that oil fresh(er), no matter what!

My service advisor has talked to master techs. She tells me doing oil changes between 5k - 8k religiously with the best diesel oil (*Rotella) is your best bet to avoid the BOTTOM END CATASTROPHIC FAILURE. So far it has worked for me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Continuing on the Gen 1 point: I assume that was the engine installed in the diesel Maserati's and Euro version of the Chrysler 300C?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Continuing on the Gen 1 point: I assume that was the engine installed in the diesel Maserati's and Euro version of the Chrysler 300C?
Gen 1 never made it public it was the redesigned version of this engine for north america. It was going to be put into cadillac sedans.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
The engine used in north America is named the L630 the version used in the Maserati is the A630 hp. Its basically the same engine with a bigger turbo and different exhaust manifolds, probably has a better calibration as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure where your coming up with this 1stGen engine, unless of course you have a prototype Cadillac.
The 2ndGen EcoDiesel is what's installed in the DS body trucks(Gen4 2014-2018, 19C, 20C). There have been some part number revisions of which those have been posted about in various posts on this forum.
The 3rdGen EcoDiesel engine is found in the DT body trucks(Gen5 2020- ), those engines are not backwards compatible without modifications and a dealership wouldn't be doing the install. That's probably why the service advisor was clueless about what you were inquiring about.
I had my engine replaced in Nov. 2018. There IS something different about the new engine. But I am not sure what that might be. It just runs better. I have about 25,000 miles on the new engine.
Truck is at 78,000. You seem to be well versed on these engines so i directed this to you but will take anyone's opinion. What would be the difference between the original built in Dec 2015 and this engine built in Oct. 2018? Also, I am totally stock with it all updates dones. currently waiting on parts for yet another recall. Although I am still under warranty, would you go ahead with a GDE tune or wait until the warranty runs out in about 3 years? Or is the GDE tune not that much of an advantage anyway? I will greatly appreciate your input.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,679 Posts
I I am totally stock with it all updates dones. currently waiting on parts for yet another recall. Although I am still under warranty, would you go ahead with a GDE tune or wait until the warranty runs out in about 3 years? Or is the GDE tune not that much of an advantage anyway? I will greatly appreciate your input.
GDE put the time in to revamp the stock tune, cleaning it up and making performance and driveability improvements.
With the new EPA tune you can reload the stock tune if your truck needs to go in for service. Some guys don't even wait to get out of the dealer parking lot to reload the tune...lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts