RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing my research online from the various articles posted by vehicle media it appears that there are two different colors of coolant available. Some of the pictures show an orange coolant, but my truck has purple coolant. Is the orange coolant part of the heavy duty coolant and the purple the the maximum duty coolant? I have the tow package on mine and thought that would be the reasoning between the two different listings on the build sheets. Can anyone confirm or deny this thought?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The purple coolant is what is called HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) coolant. As far as I know, most if not all OEM's are moving toward the new stuff and all the 2014 Rams (gas v6, v8, diesel) should be using the purple stuff. If your coolant is HOAT, then continue using that because if you mix it with the orange, it will create sludge in your coolant system.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
From my understanding.... they may be getting away from HOAT. (The red stuff from before) The new is OAT. (purple) Some people were having a real issue with a rotten, dead rat smell from the Red stuff. They said it was a reaction from the sulfur cured rubber hose, and the HOAT. But... it was a random issue.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Now what?

Is it HOAT or OAT? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
592 Posts
See if this helps...

:)

Attachments

Reactions: m1lkman

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Informative article. No purple discussed.

Maybe purple is the kool-aid color for some cult wanting to thin it's ranks? I do know that pieces of deer meat, soaked in the green stuff, thins the ranks of coyotes.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The color is irrelevant now. Back in the day... they all settled on the green color. But now... there are mixes of colors and tech.

I just verified... the new purple is an OAT antifreeze. Basically, it gets rid of the silicates, and a few other compounds, that they think is causing the reaction, and the stink.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Informative article. No purple discussed.

Maybe purple is the kool-aid color for some cult wanting to thin it's ranks? I do know that pieces of deer meat, soaked in the green stuff, thins the ranks of coyotes.
Kinda... in the first part where it says just about every color know is used these days.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts