RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the front suspension parts on and ED equipped truck are different than those used with a hemi motor? I only ask as the ED is some 200lbs heavier than the hemi, and I am wondering of dodge bothered to beef up the springs/bushings/shocks to better handle the extra weight and resist premature wear?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The ED is only 50#'s heavier(motor alone), that being said it still very well may, I'm not sure

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if it did. The Jeep CRDs use a different front differential than the gassers. They needed it offset a bit more to make room for the engine. That is why it is a little more difficult to lift a CRD than a gasser. You got more angle on the CV Joint.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
And they did find 150 extra pounds of GVWR for the EcoDiesel over the Hemis. It does make me wonder what the limiting piece is on the weight rating.

·
Registered
196 Posts
On one of the sites I recall a post saying heavier motor mounts and either an additional cross member or heavier existing one. There could be a small change in spring rates.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't forget all the extra weight that comes from the exhaust system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Does anyone know if the front suspension parts on and ED equipped truck are different than those used with a hemi motor? I only ask as the ED is some 200lbs heavier than the hemi, and I am wondering of dodge bothered to beef up the springs/bushings/shocks to better handle the extra weight and resist premature wear?
I don't think the suspension is different. To accommodate the extra weight they modified the frame, motor mounts and transmission mounts, and added a front cross member.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts