RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
That was an interesting video and the Gm guy was pretty good. I sure wish the interviewer knew more about modern diesel engines and could have and would have asked some of the more salient questions. In particular I would like to hear the answer to a question that goes something like the following --:'you have indicated the only significant increased maintenance required for the diesel engine is the fuel filter change. THe emissions controls sure seem very complex. Can you comment about the longevity of the emissions system and the associated sensor? How does this compare to the maintenance and service life of a gasoline engine emissions system? What is the length of warranty for the various parts of the emissions system?

FOr me, the bugaboo with a diesel with today's emissions systems is the viability of owning one, in the stock condition, and affording the maintenance once the warranty is up.

I guess if he had asked those questions there wouldn't have been an interview but it sure gets tiring to have automotive journalists be harvey milktoast when they get a chance to talk to the guy that knows the answers.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Clean running tune with a predicted regen interval of 400-500mi.
Perhaps I guess. OR a DPF with a much larger capacity to hold soot before regenerating?? Having never seen a regeneration notice in 78,000+ miles on my 2014 Ecodiesel I have no idea how often it regens.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was a different interview than the earlier one posted on another thread. With the many pieces of information presented, one may interest many who have speculated on the subject here. The oil life monitor.

Often I read here of people swearing their oil life is shortened from the recommended 10K or 7,5K recommendations after certain driving characteristics. Then in this interview the engineer talks of that very issue with the new GM engine. Seems the recommended oil change is 7,500 miles and the DEF tank is sized for that change interval. Then when you tow or somehow work the engine hard that oil monitor is programmed to reduce the change interval to as low as 3,000 miles or so. He also said there would be increased DEF usage to use it up at that short interval.

Man I would be quite unhappy if I had to change oil at 7,500 miles let alone half of that or less. That's a joke. Sure would like to see that oil and get an analysis after some towing. Couple that issue with the unknown of deletion or tuning and ownership is a big, "I don't know".

·
Registered
899 Posts
I didn't hear him brag about fuel efficiency other than it's better than a gasoline powered truck. I wonder what the mpg data might be.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can't recall after seeing ads for the new Chevy and haven't looked to hard at all it's bell's whistles and specs. I am guessing it's a 10 speed tranny ?

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Perhaps I guess. OR a DPF with a much larger capacity to hold soot before regenerating?? Having never seen a regeneration notice in 78,000+ miles on my 2014 Ecodiesel I have no idea how often it regens.
Generally every 75-150mi with a stock tune. 650-750 with the GDE hot tune to give you some reference. So 400-500mi isn't much soot production, hence a cleaner tune. Fewer regens also means less fuel consumption and less high-heat cycles on the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Generally every 75-150mi with a stock tune. 650-750 with the GDE hot tune to give you some reference. So 400-500mi isn't much soot production, hence a cleaner tune. Fewer regens also means less fuel consumption and fewer high-heat cycles on the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Generally every 75-150mi with a stock tune. 650-750 with the GDE hot tune to give you some reference. So 400-500mi isn't much soot production, hence a cleaner tune. Fewer regens also means less fuel consumption and fewer high-heat cycles on the exhaust.
I understand what you are saying, but without knowing the relative soot capacity of each DPF is before it requires a regen it seems to me it is hard to conclude it is a less sooty tune. Even with the same tune it would seem to me a larger soot capacity would make some sense since surely it takes extra fuel to light off the regen and burning off a greater volume each time should also safe fuel and reduce the heat stress cycles you mention.ANyhow, enough speculation on that for me. In a few months some more real info will be known.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I can't see any significant difference in surface area of the DPF between the two manufacturers. The surface area would have to more than double to get those kinds of results with a similar tune.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but without knowing the relative soot capacity of each DPF is before it requires a regen it seems to me it is hard to conclude it is a less sooty tune. Even with the same tune it would seem to me a larger soot capacity would make some sense since surely it takes extra fuel to light off the regen and burning off a greater volume each time should also safe fuel and reduce the heat stress cycles you mention.ANyhow, enough speculation on that for me. In a few months some more real info will be known.

Thanks for the info.
It’s worth noting the OEM tune starts a regen around 66% and GDE starts the process at 79-80%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
That was a different interview than the earlier one posted on another thread. With the many pieces of information presented, one may interest many who have speculated on the subject here. The oil life monitor.

Often I read here of people swearing their oil life is shortened from the recommended 10K or 7,5K recommendations after certain driving characteristics. Then in this interview the engineer talks of that very issue with the new GM engine. Seems the recommended oil change is 7,500 miles and the DEF tank is sized for that change interval. Then when you tow or somehow work the engine hard that oil monitor is programmed to reduce the change interval to as low as 3,000 miles or so. He also said there would be increased DEF usage to use it up at that short interval.

Man I would be quite unhappy if I had to change oil at 7,500 miles let alone half of that or less. That's a joke. Sure would like to see that oil and get an analysis after some towing. Couple that issue with the unknown of deletion or tuning and ownership is a big, "I don't know".
I've posted about that Cap. If you get it hot every day interval indicated is close to 10k. 3 mile one way to work will indicate closer to 3k. Does that mean it really needs to be changed? Probably not but my main point of me posting about it was to show that the truck will adjust for conditions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny enough, I do have a 3 mile drive to work, and my oil life still goes to 10k. Of course, I do also drive it to Chicago about once a month, so that may factor in. During my drive to work, the temps never get over 160. I try to take my tdi every now and then to spread the horrible trips evenly. I dont own any gasoline vehicles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts