RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I've got a 2020 Rebel with 18,700 miles and found a 4 inch diameter spot of oil on the ground under the engine compartment the other day. After doing some investigating, it looks like it's coming from the transfer case output shaft on the right side. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't find any leaks (but the service advisor also said they were looking for red fluid). It looked to me like it was a very slow leak. I did spray the underside last fall with fluid film, but I don't see that stuff being as viscous as what was on the ground.

My question is, what color is the transfer case fluid? The stuff around the seal and on the ground looks to be clear, but it has that really pungent ATF smell.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm confused, first you say "differential output shaft", then later you say transfer case. Can you clarify what you mean by differential output shaft? In my mind, a differential output shaft would be more commonly known as an axle (or CV axle) as this is the output from the differential. But this would have nothing to do with the transfer case. Are you maybe talking about the front driveshaft? I say front because you mention the leak is under the engine compartment.

And I'm sorry, I don't know what color the transfer case fluid is, but I know the trans fluid is clear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologize, I did mean transfer case, not differential. Thanks for pointing that out. I edited the post to reflect that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts