RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been holding off on getting the GDE emissions compliant tune after the AEM because I didn't know if I was going to keep my truck or not. Looks like I'm keeping it and I absolutely cannot stand to drive it with the stock AEM tune any longer so I ordered it yesterday.

For those who have done it, and keep in mind I am a computer IDIOT, how difficult is this going to be for me to install? I have read through their instructions and think I can do it, but I'm just not a tech person in the slightest, like at all.

Fair warning may be some real dumb sounding questions coming at y'all next monday/tuesday lol.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I have been holding off on getting the GDE emissions compliant tune after the AEM because I didn't know if I was going to keep my truck or not. Looks like I'm keeping it and I absolutely cannot stand to drive it with the stock AEM tune any longer so I ordered it yesterday.

For those who have done it, and keep in mind I am a computer IDIOT, how difficult is this going to be for me to install? I have read through their instructions and think I can do it, but I'm just not a tech person in the slightest, like at all.

Fair warning may be some real dumb sounding questions coming at y'all next monday/tuesday lol.
MAS,

The biggest challenge is parting with a grand of your hard earned $. After that it's easier than changing your windshield wipers. Step by step instructions takes less than 10 min to install thru the OBD port under dash. Scan tool provided by GDE makes it simple and convenient. BTW I'm computer illiterate as well.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is great to hear.

I didnt have to part with quite that much as I did have their original Hot Tune before I lost it to the AEM update. The $3,075 check from the emissions BS sure made it a lot easier to swallow!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,002 Posts
you can always schedule an appointment it at the GDE shop 😁

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
My wife did all the computer work which included sending files through email and downloading the tune to the flashtool. The only thing I did was use the flashtool to load the GDE tune. We didn't have any of the potential problems (troubleshooting) that were mentioned (check engine light, etc.). With the help of my wife, the whole process was very quick and easy.

There is a method to reset the transmission so the software doesn't have to go through a relearning process. I decided to skip that step and just let my transmission relearn my driving habits. It took about 2 weeks of low mileage driving for the transmission to relearn my driving habits.

I'm planning to post a review once I do some heavy towing and get a few long distance trips under my belt. At that point, I can report the fuel mileage (loaded and unloaded), towing benefits, etc.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will look forward to reading your review. I went from the GDE original Hot Tune and averaging 28-30 mpg commuting to 22-24 commuting. Same drive etc.

It got to the point i was pizzed off enough at the truck i could tell my driving habits had changed to abusive towards the truck lol. I figured if I was going to keep it, it was worth getting the tune again. Not only is the mixed driving economy of the AEM tune abysmal compared to the original stock tune and more so the GDE hot tune, the power and performance of the truck is significantly neutered. One thing i can say is the AEM tune did its best at empty hwy at 70 + mph unless the road was absolutely flat then slower was better, but it wouldnt crawl any type of hill without downshifting. I am eagerly awaiting my tune!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Like you I'm not a computer guru. The thing that worked best for me was to pick up my phone and call GDE. They didn't treat me like I was a moron and walked me thru the process. Awesome folks! All in all it took a few more than 10 minutes but it went easy faster and easier than I anticipated. I was afraid I'd mess up and have an expensive pile of Ram to deal with. Didn't happen and I've been a happy camper ever since.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long did it take y’all to get your tune emailed back? Can you drive the truck after you read the stock tune and before you get the GDE tune installed?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
How long did it take y’all to get your tune emailed back? Can you drive the truck after you read the stock tune and before you get the GDE tune installed?
I sent GDE my stock file on a Sunday afternoon. I didn't expect him to answer my email let alone work on my tune. I didn't put a clock to it, but I'm guessing that I got an email back within an hour with my GDE EPA Compliant Tune.

You will leave the truck in the 'run' position (engine off) to do all the file loading. You can drive the truck anytime you want. The truck will always be 'stock' or 'tuned', there's no in-between. It takes about 6 minutes to load the GDE tune. Likewise, it takes about 6 minutes to flash back to stock.

Also, the flashtool acts as a scan tool. You can read and clear codes with it.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bio, I will be flashing it in my work parking lot lol so im glad i can send the email and drive it home if need be before i get the tune. Also glad the flashtool can be used as a scanner.

Can the flash tool be used as a scanner on other vehicles? Or is that a no go?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Thanks Bio, I will be flashing it in my work parking lot lol so im glad i can send the email and drive it home if need be before i get the tune.
That makes total sense. Send your stock file via email, go home, and the new file will most likely be ready to download sometime the following day.

Also glad the flashtool can be used as a scanner.
It's a really nice feature. One tool that can do everything. My only concern is leaving the scantool over night during the winter months. I probably need to reach out to GDE and ask about that.

Can the flash tool be used as a scanner on other vehicles? Or is that a no go?
That's a great question. I don't know the answer to that. I'm pretty sure that the scantool is designed for my VIN and cannot be used with another EcoDiesel. I kind of assumed that the scanner is EcoDiesel specific, but I can't verify that to be true.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the AEM with 98,000 miles and i have 100,500 this morning. Was without it for 2500 miles and a bit of time as it has been in the shop for a bit and i just didnt dive it as much since i hated driving it as poorly as it performed and with the drop in milleage.

Cant comment on how it compares to the Original Hot Tune as I havent even had it on the hwy yet, but just the spin around the block i took after loading the EPA Compliant tune i can tell it is leaps and bounds over the AEM tune.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts