RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 709 Posts

·
Vendor
1,197 Posts
24 engine failures on this forum alone is disconcerting. You could most likely triple that number or more when looking at the entire fleet. It boils down to quality control failures in the engine assembly plant. The engine design itself is not bad, just some poor execution in the plant as they try to pump out more product than ever. The real issue will be what happens when a customer fails the lower end after the warranty period is up? FCA can't claim ignorance or normal wear/tear with all the low mileage failures.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
24 engine failures on this forum alone is disconcerting. You could most likely triple that number or more when looking at the entire fleet. It boils down to quality control failures in the engine assembly plant. The engine design itself is not bad, just some poor execution in the plant as they try to pump out more product than ever. The real issue will be what happens when a customer fails the lower end after the warranty period is up? FCA can't claim ignorance or normal wear/tear with all the low mileage failures.
X2.. Yes was just going to post the same, (Great minds think alike) Most engine makers like to hit 1 engine per 1000 on bottom end failure Per 100,000 miles (catastrophic failure) I just received my last oil results and My hard material levels have level off, this is good News for Me, Why BC My ED spec's are good, the + & - TQ spec's tolerance's are met. If to tight you get lots off high levels of wear materials during the 1st 4-5K miles, after that they level off, then Bam they sky rocket, BC it was to tight and wear is occurring. If loose they just keep climbing, If they continue to decline and level off the + & - tolerance's were met.

I've built extreme engines , spent Hrs in the TQ labs around here MN / IA and have some Idea on failed occurrences, In other words Seen lots of blow ups, tore it down and found out WHY.

Ram won't be able to keep a lid on this for much longer, Someone will tear the power plant down and disclose WHY.

Ram luck out on Me ED BC if it fails I will tear it down Myself and disclose what I found, The only option Ram would have is buy back at terms - Mileage ( I think its fair to pay mileage)

·
Registered
1 Posts
It boils down to quality control failures in the engine assembly plant. The engine design itself is not bad, just some poor execution in the plant as they try to pump out more product than ever. The real issue will be what happens when a customer fails the lower end after the warranty period is up? FCA can't claim ignorance or normal wear/tear with all the low mileage failures.
OK where does this come from? Was there a press release that I missed, or did you pull that out of thin air? I thought we could all agree that it is bad design issues, not our faults nor the fault of some blue-collar workers. The parts that make up the engines are made to tight tolerances, if not show some proof that the assembly of those parts are at fault!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone with the GDE tune installed reported or experienced a catastrophic failure? Just wondering if so, if they had any pushback from the dealer or FCA? Maybe GDE could chime in on if the ECM inspection/replacement would be a standard inspection protocol item when an engine comes in and needs replaced??

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
OK where does this come from? Was there a press release that I missed, or did you pull that out of thin air? I thought we could all agree that it is bad design issues, not our faults nor the fault of some blue

You mean where did you come from...the design is robust, Show Me we all agreed document.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Sounds like a troll...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Has anyone with the GDE tune installed reported or experienced a catastrophic failure? Just wondering if so, if they had any pushback from the dealer or FCA? Maybe GDE could chime in on if the ECM inspection/replacement would be a standard inspection protocol item when an engine comes in and needs replaced??
I know of one guy in this forum that had installed a GDE tuned ECM not long before a catastrophic failure. He's getting a new engine - still waiting on parts the last I heard. I think he knew someone at the dealership pretty well. Not sure if that was a factor, though. I'm fairly sure I read another post in this forum where someone mentioned they were already running with a new engine after a failure of the original with a GDE tune. I'm in no way implying the GDE tune had anything to do with the failures - just saying I've seen two people that had catastrophic failures while running the GDE tune.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Ibengston, I had MY ED at extreme HP levels that max out the turbo, NO GDE tune is going to come close to this level of HP. Now if we are talking burn down holes and drop valves then the tuning would be the most likely cause, all of the failure to date are bottom end or exchanger failures, The connection between GDE and the failures is tantamount to I'm the father of your children and I never met your Wife , just to illustrate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know of one guy in this forum that had installed a GDE tuned ECM not long before a catastrophic failure. He's getting a new engine - still waiting on parts the last I heard. I think he knew someone at the dealership pretty well. Not sure if that was a factor, though. I'm fairly sure I read another post in this forum where someone mentioned they were already running with a new engine after a failure of the original with a GDE tune. I'm in no way implying the GDE tune had anything to do with the failures - just saying I've seen two people that had catastrophic failures while running the GDE tune.
That's sort of the info I was looking for. If anyone has any more examples of GDE or otherwise tuned trucks that have catastrophically failed and engines were still replaced it would be good to know. GDE offers to let you keep the stock ECM but IMHO if your engine grenades while driving as most failures seem to have done, then swapping out your stock ECM is going to be pointless since the mileage will not match up to the truck. I'm just trying to find out if in the worst case I had the tune and my engine fails, is it part of a standard diagnostic procedure at a dealer to dig into the ECM??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ibengston, I had MY ED at extreme HP levels that max out the turbo, NO GDE tune is going to come close to this level of HP. Now if we are talking burn down holes and drop valves then the tuning would be the most likely cause, all of the failure to date are bottom end or exchanger failures, The connection between GDE and the failures is tantamount to I'm the father of your children and I never met your Wife , just to illustrate.
TCDiesel, I *think* I get the point you're trying to make that a tune is not the cause given the track record of bottom end failures, it seems to be a design issue....the analogy you made is a new one for me, but I get it and of nothing else I've learned something new today...the warranty denial seems to be my biggest holdback on the tune, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what the odds are that its going to be detected if something big happens like the need for a new engine replacement.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Truckman323 , I hear YA ,but its this type of internet fear is so misleading, just the indication is defaming, I won't stand by this type of trash, I've seen it before and its like gangrene, and it will spread unless good knowledgeable people stand up and cut it off.

I post this when owners have questions about factory warranty.

Factory Warranty
‘Maybe I can clear this UP, GM All makers Must meet the certification REQUIRED by Federal Law. The instant YOU delete ON/OFF road use (The only exception to this law is Race or off road competition) GM or your Dealer cannot (legally) even repair the Vehicle if it has State Plates.
Enforcement is the issue, Many times action is NOT taken when the warranty is voided, This is the parties involved discretion, MAKE NO mistake YOUR warranty is voided the instant you make defeat or delete steps to any component that’s needed to meet the certification.
Enforcement is the major part of any Law, if No enforcement then it’s a statement, if the parties involved decided to enforce the law it is now binding and absolute.

Your warranty cannot be Voided on all component's that have NO bridge or connection, Example NEW radio cannot void suspension components, but it sure can void ALL electronic communications. Enforcement is the key Part of any law or warranty. When disagreement's arise they are generally decide By arbitration or Judge.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If warranty important to you leave OEM.

When this all unfolds (The failures) I'm confident that the failures will be related to production and operations management is/was the problem.

·
Registered
733 Posts
OK where does this come from? Was there a press release that I missed, or did you pull that out of thin air? I thought we could all agree that it is bad design issues, not our faults nor the fault of some blue-collar workers. The parts that make up the engines are made to tight tolerances, if not show some proof that the assembly of those parts are at fault!
Union guy?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Truckman323 , I hear YA ,but its this type of internet fear is so misleading, just the indication is defaming, I won't stand by this type of trash, I've seen it before and its like gangrene, and it will spread unless good knowledgeable people stand up and cut it off.

I post this when owners have questions about factory warranty.

Factory Warranty
‘Maybe I can clear this UP, GM All makers Must meet the certification REQUIRED by Federal Law. The instant YOU delete ON/OFF road use (The only exception to this law is Race or off road competition) GM or your Dealer cannot (legally) even repair the Vehicle if it has State Plates.
Enforcement is the issue, Many times action is NOT taken when the warranty is voided, This is the parties involved discretion, MAKE NO mistake YOUR warranty is voided the instant you make defeat or delete steps to any component that’s needed to meet the certification.
Enforcement is the major part of any Law, if No enforcement then it’s a statement, if the parties involved decided to enforce the law it is now binding and absolute.

Your warranty cannot be Voided on all component's that have NO bridge or connection, Example NEW radio cannot void suspension components, but it sure can void ALL electronic communications. Enforcement is the key Part of any law or warranty. When disagreement's arise they are generally decide By arbitration or Judge.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If warranty important to you leave OEM.

When this all unfolds (The failures) I'm confident that the failures will be related to production and operations management is/was the problem.
Point taken. Don't put on a tune then hope there's a chance of warranty support.

Now if anyone else has any input to my precious question, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
2015 ecodiesel. Drove it 10 months 32,000 miles and then a pulsing sound like a old powerstroke.
I have a very trained ear and I ID the noise as rod knock. The dealer told me they can't fix it until it fails.
I drove it another 1000 miles and it scattered on acceleration. I towed the truck back to the original dealer and had them buy it back from me.
I am a Hemi guy again in a 2016 Longhorn Limited. I loved the 30 mpg of the diesel but Chrysler needs a few more years to work the bugs out.
WOW, a knocking motor according to the Dealer is NOT failed, Here's another example of the poor handling by RAM, This engine was in the early stages of catastrophic failure, instead of R?R the engine to find the cause they wait until the carnage is so bad its extremely difficult to detect what fail 1st.

What scattered? this sounds like the maybe cam gear failure......a bent rod or bottom end failure 1st, certainly would have went BOOM within 1000 miles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Add mine to the list. New long block approved under warranty yesterday. FCA won't admit what cause the failure to me. Not impressed
Build date and mileage? Driving conditions when it failed?

1 - 20 of 709 Posts