RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a dealer flashes the ECM (overwriting my GDE) do they do that through the OBDII port or do they do it directly through the ports on the ECM like GDE does or something else?

I see many have good working relations with service departments. I don't know about my dealer yet as they've not seen the vehicle yet. But if I zip tie a note on my OBDII port saying not to flash the ECM, are they required to honor that? Or... are they required to honor upgrading it no matter what? I'd assume the latter as most upgrades may be safety or environmentally required by FCA or the Feds and they'd be liable if they honored my note.

·
Registered
718 Posts
When a dealer flashes the ECM (overwriting my GDE) do they do that through the OBDII port or do they do it directly through the ports on the ECM like GDE does or something else?

I see many have good working relations with service departments. I don't know about my dealer yet as they've not seen the vehicle yet. But if I zip tie a note on my OBDII port saying not to flash the ECM, are they required to honor that? Or... are they required to honor upgrading it no matter what? I'd assume the latter as most upgrades may be safety or environmentally required by FCA or the Feds and they'd be liable if they honored my note.
I don't recall the details, however, FCA is required to get a certain % of the ecodiesels "upgraded" in a specified time period. As for dealers, I don't know how much pressure is put on them to get it done.

You really have 2 options. Buy a used or new ECM and install that every time you go to the dealer. Limit trips to the dealer as much as possible because some dealers will flash the computer during and oil change. Why? Well, they think they are being helpful. Chevy, for instance, puts out new fuel injection mappings regularly for some model trucks and they often do help.

The second option is to never go back to the dealer and never get your ECM flashed again.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've had tape on my OBD port stating "do not flash" (they sell locks too) but the dealer told me they have to access it to check on what has and hasn't been done in terms of recalls. They've not flashed it when I've asked and made sure they write it on my service order. It seems like some people though have had the ECM overwritten even when they ask them not to. You never know what a mechanic might read or not read.

If you want to swap in and out, the easiest way is to not use all 4 screws on your ECM. That way there's no need to remove everything, etc.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Since the OP has a 2017, Ram, won't qualify for the tune. Get a "Tune Saver" from Geno's Garage and lock the OBD2 port. Dealer won't be able to access. I removed mine once to let them reflash a body control module, maybe something to do with the air bags, don't remember. I told my dealer that I love the truck and the performance and mpg's. Not to flash the ECM ever! At least the Tune Saver will keep them out of your ECM. Dealer already knows, folks with great running trucks , don't want their ECM's flashed, just to end up with poorer mpg and performance.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The only way to prevent molestation of the mapping on ECU A is to always ensure that ECU B is in place when an FCA service department has access.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts

ECM updates are done through the OBD2 port. A cover or other deterrent on the port does no good as the service adviser hooks up a bluetooth dongle to the port to check you into the service dept. At least mine does.

I've had good luck simply telling the SA to not update the ECM. I was pretty particular so he put a note on the service order to not update the ECM and highlighted the note. He asked, "So you have a tune"? lol. Not knowing their stance on aftermarket tuning I simply told him I liked how the truck is running and the current mileage and I don't want that to change.

·
Super Moderator
2,542 Posts
I've had good luck simply telling the SA to not update the ECM. I was pretty particular so he put a note on the service order to not update the ECM and highlighted the note. He asked, "So you have a tune"? lol. Not knowing their stance on aftermarket tuning I simply told him I liked how the truck is running and the current mileage and I don't want that to change.
I have done exactly the same thing and so far they have left it alone. Only difference with me is they didn’t say “so you have a tune”.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.

At least it doesn't sound like its Ram that acts like they owns the truck and does whatever and whenever it wants.

I don't plan on routine servicing at the dealership, so it will only go there if its a breakdown of some kind and I'll try the note on the service ticket, zip tie on the port and watch them through the window... :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts