RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here’s a recent mod I did to supply constant power to the 12v power ports (i.e. cigarette lighters) in my 2015 RAM 1500.

Other trucks should be the same but you’ll have to verify. I was only interested in having the power ports having power full time. If you have other ports you want powered, you could do something similar for them.

I assume no liability, responsibility, etc. for things that go wrong if you chose to do this. If you plug in a device that doesn’t shut off when fully charged, you can drain your battery. I’m supplying you information on what I did since I’ve seen a lot of people asking about this but no documentation.

First, you need a micro fuse splitter. See photo.
20170313_120112.jpg

To supply constant power to the 12v power port in the center console move the fuse at position F91 (to F90) towards the windshield (Red circle). This is the only fuse that has a dual fuse socket. Moving it towards the windshield will power the center console full time (no mods needed).

close up fuse move.jpg

To power the dash 12v port you need to make a jumper. You will use the fuse splitter to provide the power. These splitters allow you to keep the fuse in the original socket (for the console port) and allow you to tap into the 12v power and then jump it to the dash power port. You move the fuse from the original location to the splitter to provide for circuit protection (as it was before) and then take the 12v and supply it to the output on the original fuse. Pictures below.

Remember that fuses have an input and output. Power is supplied to one side of the fuse (normally when the key is on; which we are bypassing with the jumper). The output side of the fuse goes to the accessory and when there’s a short, etc. the fuse blows. The fuse protection is critical and the splitter allows you to maintain that protection. When you remove the fuse from the 12v power port, you will run the jumper to the output side of where the fuse was.
I chose to file off a bit of the “male” plug otherwise it won’t fit into the fuse socket. You could alternatively break apart one of the micro fuses and use one of those but I like being able to crimp the wire. Pictures show the before and after filing of the plug.

Before

20170313_120331.jpg

After

20170313_133348.jpg

Basically, you are going to take power from F90 (Red Circle) and add it to fuse F93; called cigarette lighter in the fuse box (Orange Circle). Both fuses are 20A so you can use those in the splitter (both sides). I chose to use a 15A fuse for the cigarette lighter rather than 20A.

Inked20170313_143244_LI.jpg

Inked20170313_144459_LI.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
751 Posts
I have a Q. Where do the two red wires go, or is that just a short jumper that goes from 91 to 90? I'm guessing the jumper didn't make it all the way in the second pic.
Where did you get the splitter?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Q. Where do the two red wires go, or is that just a short jumper that goes from 91 to 90? I'm guessing the jumper didn't make it all the way in the second pic.
There's really just one red wire. I should take a picture a bit further back. The red wire is the hot wire from the fuse splitter that goes into the orange socket.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thank you for sharing!

Next time I'm under the hood I will move the fuse over to supply full time power to my console plug.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
U can get the splitter on Amazon. Called "Add a Fuse". Make sure u get the correct size, there are a few different sizes of "spade fuses". Can't remember what it's called, but there's mini, micro, micro low profile ect.

Reactions: Patroller8D

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
U can get the splitter on Amazon. Called "Add a Fuse". Make sure u get the correct size, there are a few different sizes of "spade fuses". Can't remember what it's called, but there's mini, micro, micro low profile ect.
That's correct. I got mine off of ebay. I'm not sure why vehicles use 3 different sizes but these are typically called Micro fuses.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and the fuse splitter is just move up in the 90/91 fuse location so there is nothing to do really to turn on that port full time. If you didn't have the splitter, you'd just move the fuse up.

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
So happy to move that fuse and see that it works. Thanks again and again and again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just moved my fuse and slid it into the slot closest to the windshield, but it didn't seem to have any impact on the powering of the 12v outlet in my console. Does the truck need to be started after doing this in order for it to then provide continuous power afterwards or something? Just my luck...I'll probably have the only 2015 Longhorn that this trick DOESN'T work on!!!! :-(

Thanks for any helpful hints you may have on this!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just moved my fuse and slid it into the slot closest to the windshield, but it didn't seem to have any impact on the powering of the 12v outlet in my console. Does the truck need to be started after doing this in order for it to then provide continuous power afterwards or something? Just my luck...I'll probably have the only 2015 Longhorn that this trick DOESN'T work on!!!! :-(

Thanks for any helpful hints you may have on this!!
It should work. Can you post a picture? I'd make sure the fuse is good too :)

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Again not totally sure but moving fuse from 91 to 90 will give you 12 volts without the key ON ,
BUT only in the plug that you access from the rear seats , try that and see if it works back there
I guess that is the reason to install that splitter and bring constant 12 volts to exact location you want .

great project , Thanks McIntyre , I ordered the splitter :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again not totally sure but moving fuse from 91 to 90 will give you 12 volts without the key ON ,
BUT only in the plug that you access from the rear seats , try that and see if it works back there
I guess that is the reason to install that splitter and bring constant 12 volts to exact location you want .

great project , Thanks McIntyre , I ordered the splitter :)
That is correct. Moving the fuse gives you power behind the console (or in it in my case) NOT the plug in the dash / front. You have to use the splitter and make the jumper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OH..... alright. I misunderstood I suppose. I was thinking that by moving the fuse it would only allow power to the 12v outlet in the FRONT console - not the rear plug. My bad. Sorry for the confusion, I understand now. Not sure I'm going to pursue the splitter option, but it's cool to know that it exists for those who DO choose to explore that. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts