RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some undercarriage damage to the transmission lines, right around the area of the oil drain plug. I cut the damaged sections of tubing out and replaced with appropriate rubber hose. However, one of the connections is leaking a small amount.

I purchased a new lines from Ram, thinking it wouldn't be so bad to change. After I took a look at how it snaked up between the engine and steering rack, I figured this was going to be a long and painful DIY. Does anyone know the best approach to get this completed?

Here is a link to the lines for reference. They run from the tranny to the radiator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know this is late but just this weekend I replaced mine. They are a pain in the butt. I took off the front cross member by the lower control arms. I also marked each clip and clamp on the pair of lines and ran them one at a time to reinstall. The one line is way harder than the other because it has more bends on the cooler end. Make sure you re clamp them and use all brackets.

I was in my situation because I bought a truck with a replacement engine. That dealer didn't bother to use the bracket under the engine and it allowed my lines to rub through on the front dif.

Its rough but can be done diy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Itsavrod yes this was a total pain in the butt. I borrowed a family members garage with a lift that evening. I also changed tranny pan/filter that same evening. I ended up having to loosen the front axle in order to snake it all through. Some of the bolts on the axle were such a pain to get to.
So it looks like by separating the two lines you were able to get them in without disassembling as much as I did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts