RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my truck in due to the service electronic throttle message that came up two weeks ago. I have a GDE ecm and they sent me an email telling me to return it to them for updating as it may throw a code for underboost. I never got around to doing that unfortunately and thats exactly what code it did throw. I had it towed to the dealer with the GDE and after diagnosing it they came up with a bad PCM. So, they replaced the PCM and flashed the TCM. Someone told me that we do not have a PCM and that the dealer commonly refers to the ECM as the PCM. Is this true?

·
Registered
528 Posts
So my dealer does not know the difference between ECM and PCM? My dealer service Mgr, tech, advisor told me they don't usually update ecm - their updates involve PCM amd BCM, normally.

saskhunter

·
Administrator
8,497 Posts
A PCM is a specialized ECM that combines the function of the ECU (Engine Control Unit) and TCM (Transmission Control Unit). The ECU is meant to handle solely for the engine of the car. It controls things like fuel to air ratio, ignition timing, idle speed, and even with variable valve timing. The TCM is specific to cars with automatic transmission and controls whether to shift-up or down depending on certain conditions like speed, traction, and throttle position.

Since the ecodiesel has a separate TCM located within the transmission, we have a ECM. ECM and ECU are the same.

·
Registered
238 Posts
For future reference I had this over boost issue several times on mine until I got it reprogrammed from gde. Although it does put the truck into limp mode all you need to do is stop and turn it off then clear the code and it's good to go. No towing needed unless you don't have some type of code reader.

PS if you don't have a code reader you need one

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah I think its time for me to get a code reader. Is scanguage the one to get? Just want something simple and that I could store in the truck when not in use.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah I think its time for me to get a code reader. I scanguage the one to get? Just want something simple and that I could store in the truck when not in use.
Can't go wrong with a bluetooth reader and you phone (is you have a smart phone). Scangauge.net has some good ones that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Since they replaced the ECM, you lost your tune. You need a reflash.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already sent it off to GDE the day I got the truck back last wednesday. I just got it back in my hands this afternoon. I really appreciate the fast turnaround time GDE has.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah I think its time for me to get a code reader. Is scanguage the one to get? Just want something simple and that I could store in the truck when not in use.
I got the scangaugeii and really like it. compact so I can hide it. Get one directly from ScanGauge and tell them its for a Ram ecodiesel - they have a special version that has the PIDs already loaded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All of the symptoms described are all signs of a bad pcm. I know because this just happened to me. I experienced all the symptoms described then one day my truck went into limp mode. Couldnt go over 3500 rpms. It threw like 14 different codes. 1300 is the cost of part and labor. So my advice is to go ahead and have your pcm looked at before all goes to shit.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My service manager also refers to what we call an ECM or ECU a PCM. When he changes out my ECM he writes the invoice/receipt as PCM.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
All of the symptoms described are all signs of a bad pcm. I know because this just happened to me. I experienced all the symptoms described then one day my truck went into limp mode. Couldnt go over 3500 rpms. It threw like 14 different codes. 1300 is the cost of part and labor. So my advice is to go ahead and have your pcm looked at before all goes to shit.
14 different codes ,,,, sometimes it is only the big connector under the truck that comes apart or loose ,
could your dealer be a crook , of course a bad ECM would do it too , but since 2015 guess how many
bad ECMs were reported on the site , ?? I'm here often ... (understatement ) , this is not an issue,
never heard of it , sorry Zekeb , you may be dealing with a crook..
there's nothing to look at , it is bolted on the firewall and has 2 big connectors clipped to it ,
the work of the unit goes on inside the ECM .
did you happen to go thru a big puddle of water just before this failure happened ???
I keep an eye on my ECM , it is in a box in the kitchen , with a better one installed on the truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One dealership that I talked to did say that he was skeptical also that while it was not unheard of but very rare for the pcm to go out. So a change of plans it is. I will be going and picking my truck up from the dealership it's at. Save me the 1300, for now anyways.But on the other hand it blows my mind actually that you mentioned it I did hit a big water puddle not to long before it throwing all the codes.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Well Zekeb , I don't know where you live , North or south but if you can ,
if it is warm enough for you , bring a piece of cardboard with you , and paper towels ,
some gloves , the connector is probably dusty and dirty ......
you truck runs , so drive it up on a curb , turn engine OFF , and slide the
cardboard under the truck ,the connector in the photo is right behind the driver side front wheel ,
slide on the clean cardboard and look for the connector , there is a clip that rotates to
keep the connector closed , open it , if wet wipe dry as you can with paper towel ,
put it back together , may take a few start cycles for all the error messages on dash to clear ,
but there should be nothing wrong to other parts of the truck compared to the "before puddle"
behavior .
Of course someone else could do it for you if you don't fancy the idea of rolling under the truck .
Another member had the connector come completely apart as in the image below .
other threads with same problem :
BTW , welcome to the site . :giggle:before dealer visits come here ,
a lot of guys have seen a lot , and we share what we know ,
$1300 right before christmas , so bad , dealer = stealer ....

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
.....But on the other hand it blows my mind actually that you mentioned it I did hit a big water puddle not to long before it throwing all the codes.
these are good trucks when used properly ,
and the possible problems have been reported in the last few years ,
so , with a good description of the trouble , the attention gets sent to the right possibility .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm simply amazed at the comrodary here! Thank you so much. The last couple wks have been as if the world is out to get me. And this just took the icing in the cake man. The wife and I are now sharing her vehicle until we can sort through this mess. And I would absolutely prefer do it myself. I am a maintenance technician I maintenance mostly really big CNC machines for a living. Also small engine repair. But am a jack of all trades. I weld for sport and money when possible I help my wife with her wood crafts and many other creative crafts shes dreamed up for me. I'm not scared to get dirty and no stranger to work. My wife and 4 kids make sure of that. So my truck is a core essential when it comes to making a living and being the family chauffer. So as you would imagine my truck is maintenance and oiled when it is suppose to be. I baby that thing. And has been a darn good truck up untill the symptoms started occurring. A $50,000 should not be causing me this level of stress. That's what my kids are for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a blessing to have found this forum. I really really appreciate not having had to pay for the info you have given me. It's so rare to find that without being asked for your credit card number! I'll frequent this forum no doubt.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I know what you mean , looking on the net for info on fixing the furnace for exemple ,
and they want the credit card to tell you they don't have the knowledge for your particular trouble.
Zekeb if your big connector is apart under there , and replugging does not fix everything ,
read the threads linked , on guy had one of the wires pulled in one of the connector from force
of the water that disconnected it , gonna need good eyes and small tools .
good info in those 2 threads .
Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I called the dealership letting them know I was coming to pick up my truck. And he proceeds to tell me. "You have bigger problems than we thought. Your intake manifold is really really corroded" I'm sitting here a out to shed some tears. Get off the phone I'm racking my brain thinking I could have sworn there was a recall about fire potential in the intake manifold. So I call back and said to him" what about the recall with the Intake manifold?" His reply "yea that may have applied but its melted." I said "yea man fires melt things" he said toy know what your right let me see what I can do we have some higher up here today let me let them have a look and I'll get back to you. I'm just like are you freaking kidding me. Lots of highs nd lows for me today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts