RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has any info about ED engine failures on tuned versus non-tuned trucks? I believe I have read that some GDE tuned engines have failed, but don't know what portion that failure rate is compared to the overall failure rate. Should we have a poll thread to ask? It might be nice to see if there is a correlation of the GDE tune lessening the chance of engine failures.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I agree with that and would add, the GDE gives you a chance to avoid numerous emissions related issues and gives the engine a chance to breathe a little instead of inhaling its own waste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
The GDE tune would not prevent an engine failure such as a spun bearing or rod bolts that were improperly torqued (obviously). As Bobcat67 mentioned, the GDE tune will most likely eliminate the emission issues and associated headaches that comes along with that. For example, my ED has been in the shop for 7-1/2 weeks. Code P0299 and P026D. Both of those codes GDE said that their tune will take care of. However, I decided, after talking to the dealer owner, to let my repairs run their course before installing a GDE tune. So far, they have replaced the MAF, Boost Sensor, EGR, all injectors and rails and now the intake manifold. The lead tech said that he was surprised that it even ran at all considering the amount of soot in the intake and that the swirl valves were stuck (my truck has 90,000 miles on it). So, essentially, I am getting a lot of the parts new that may have failed down the road. I believe that if a GDE tune is done early on that all of those issues would be non-existent. It seems that catastrophic engine failures happen early in the life of the engine which makes sense since the mechanical parts like to play nice with each other.

Now, I do have something to say about GDE that will probably tick people off here. I have called them a few times (3?) and talked about their tune. They answer the questions, but they don't seem to be the friendliest people around. Maybe I exceeded my limit of one phone call to ask a question, I don't know. I do know that if I spend $850 that I want to know what I am getting before I plunk my money down. My truck has new injectors. Does that mean the injector codes have changed? I dunno. I sent them an email a day ago and have not hear back. I hate to order a tune only to find out that because of the new injectors the truck won't run.

·
Administrator
8,212 Posts
Now, I do have something to say about GDE that will probably tick people off here. I have called them a few times (3?) and talked about their tune. They answer the questions, but they don't seem to be the friendliest people around. Maybe I exceeded my limit of one phone call to ask a question, I don't know. I do know that if I spend $850 that I want to know what I am getting before I plunk my money down. My truck has new injectors. Does that mean the injector codes have changed? I dunno. I sent them an email a day ago and have not hear back. I hate to order a tune only to find out that because of the new injectors the truck won't run.
It takes much more than that to tick me off. :) I will say I find the GDE staff to be friendly, considerate and willing to offer help and advise. Not sure why your results were not as good.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I've called GDE quite a few times as I go back and forth on deciding. I've had a few times where it seems they're in a hurry to get off the phone, but overall I've found them to be very helpful and willing to answer my questions.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Code P0299 and P026D. Both of those codes GDE said that their tune will take care of.

Thanks for posting above...this is good to know and would explain why (knock on wood) I have only had 1 CEL/bad sensor at 119k paid for under 8/120 (whew). EGR is like riding in the car as a kid w/ the old man's cigar lit and windows up. Don't have cancer yet put still unpleasant and unnecessary...

Called GDE many, many times and always helpful and insightful. Considered Trans tune however won't interface w/ my Apple.

Usually great mechanics and software engineers are not necessarily people oriented by nature...my $0.02

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies, The only reason I asked this question was I thought that maybe with the EGR turned off, less soot would be in the oil. With less soot in the oil, maybe the bearings might live longer, assuming that the assembly tolerances were good from the factory. Also, does GDE have a tuning strategy to not lug the engine at lower RPMs like the supposed newer 2017-onward factory tune does? If so, that feature might help prolong engine bearing life.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thanks for your replies, The only reason I asked this question was I thought that maybe with the EGR turned off, less soot would be in the oil. With less soot in the oil, maybe the bearings might live longer, assuming that the assembly tolerances were good from the factory. Also, does GDE have a turning strategy to not lug the engine at lower RPMs like the supposed newer 2017-onward factory tune does? If so, that feature might help prolong engine bearing life.
IDK however less soot and cleaner oil has to be good in a modern EPA meeting diesel.. Seems to me their tune does something to the oil pump beyond OEM tune increasing Oil PSI.

It's my understanding this increased psi prevents the affects that lugging could bring by pushing oil to the lower end of the engine. For example...in the Winter here when outside temp is below 60F or so I noticed the PSI staying 40+ until the Oil temp is above 125F. Is that GFE v. OEM tune IDK. Your info regarding codes I had assumed and that alone is worth it...overall makes a better driving experience IMO.

·
Administrator
8,212 Posts
Thanks for your replies, The only reason I asked this question was I thought that maybe with the EGR turned off, less soot would be in the oil. With less soot in the oil, maybe the bearings might live longer, assuming that the assembly tolerances were good from the factory. Also, does GDE have a turning strategy to not lug the engine at lower RPMs like the supposed newer 2017-onward factory tune does? If so, that feature might help prolong engine bearing life.
I agree with possibly extending the life of a non-defective engine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am curious about what the benefit is in delaying the regen cycle until the DPF is 80% full.
Is it possible to get a stock tune if I only want to eliminate the EGR?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
IDK however less soot and cleaner oil has to be good in a modern EPA meeting diesel.. Seems to me their tune does something to the oil pump beyond OEM tune increasing Oil PSI.

It's my understanding this increased psi prevents the affects that lugging could bring by pushing oil to the lower end of the engine. For example...in the Winter here when outside temp is below 60F or so I noticed the PSI staying 40+ until the Oil temp is above 125F. Is that GFE v. OEM tune IDK. Your info regarding codes I had assumed and that alone is worth it...overall makes a better driving experience IMO.
The oil pump on these trucks is a positve displacement mechanical pump. The gde tune does absolutely nothing to change the actual oil pressure. Unless you install an actual oil pressure gauge the reading on the screen is just an algorithm basied off temp and rpm. The gde tune well do nothing to eliminate bottom end issues but it well reduce emissions related issues that the epa demands fca get repaired. It also does nothing to eliminate low rpm high load conditions that has been claimed to cause bottom end failures.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I am curious about what the benefit is in delaying the regen cycle until the DPF is 80% full.
Is it possible to get a stock tune if I only want to eliminate the EGR?
there are a few benefits.
1. less fuel used to regen. once in 500mi is better than every 65 to 90 mi.
2. less chance of fuel dilution due to less time doing post injection to light up the dpf regen.
3. less extreme heat cycles of your dpf injector, scr, and all the associated sensors
4. im guessing you get a more effective burn off since you are getting the dpf hot and keeping it hot for longer.

im completely guessing on number 4. GDE might have better insight. i know the first three are definites.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
In my honest opinion with experience from the 2.8l side, the GDE tune could also prevent wear on the engine from soot contamination in the oil. My 2.8 engine had approximately 70,000 on it when I bought it. by 90,000, I was replacing all the rocker/lifter assemblies.

·
Registered
178 Posts
there are a few benefits.
1. less fuel used to regen. once in 500mi is better than every 65 to 90 mi.
2. less chance of fuel dilution due to less time doing post injection to light up the dpf regen.
3. less extreme heat cycles of your dpf injector, scr, and all the associated sensors
4. im guessing you get a more effective burn off since you are getting the dpf hot and keeping it hot for longer.

im completely guessing on number 4. GDE might have better insight. i know the first three are definites.
about reason 1, wouldn't the regen process be shorter or longer depending on the level of the DPF? I don't think running a regen cycle longer less frequently saves any fuel.
I didn't know DPF injection cycle introduced fuel into the crankcase, that is a problem.

·
Administrator
8,212 Posts
about reason 1, wouldn't the regen process be shorter or longer depending on the level of the DPF? I don't think running a regen cycle longer less frequently saves any fuel.
I didn't know DPF injection cycle introduced fuel into the crankcase, that is a problem.
I would say regeneration 10X less will not only save fuel but extend the life of the DPF. Not to mention less fuel dilution. The extra time it takes to regen at 80% compared to 65% is minimal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would say regeneration 10X less will not only save fuel but extend the life of the DPF. Not to mention less fuel dilution. The time it takes to regen at 80% compared to 65% is minimal.
Is it possible to delete the DPF system altogether? After the warranty period expires is there any reason to keep it?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Fuel for regeneration is injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke of the engine. Minimal amounts of fuel probably get by the rings allowing oil dilution.

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Contact GDE and ask them directly about your reliability ideas. Thousands of us have GDE and near all flat out would not run without it. GDE told us about one engine that had trouble. They also talked about possible circumstances that led to it. That is ONE, like in 1. Now there may be two as somehow a forum member spoke on that issue without dealing with GDE. Point is few GDE users have had engine trouble and if so the trouble was NOT related to GDE.

I feel my engine would not be operating today without GDE dealing with the EGR and sensor issues. Nuts to power and torque from tuning. I want reliability and ease of operation. That's why I went with GDE.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
GDE doesn’t do anything for poor oil delivery in the engine or fix whatever parts manufacturing defect that exists and causes premature failure.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts