RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need the tow package? it basically comes with the tow brake and tow mirrors. I'm not towing anything right now other than a single bike trailer.....I do not anticipate getting anything in the future....I might get a 20 foot or less RV toy hauler trailer.....but that's a slim chance.......what do you guys think? I ordered my truck two weeks ago and they aren't even sending me notices of the build yet......I ordered the Limited.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I considered it but then decided against it. I had already what I needed to tow - hitch and connectors are standard. Don't plan on towing anything that big and the tow mirrors makes it look like it has Moose Ears

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can add just the brake controller by itself for $230, at least on some trims. That is what I plan on doing, then add clip on mirrors if I decide to actually get a larger trailer.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Do I need the tow package? it basically comes with the tow brake and tow mirrors. I'm not towing anything right now other than a single bike trailer.....I do not anticipate getting anything in the future....I might get a 20 foot or less RV toy hauler trailer.....but that's a slim chance.......what do you guys think? I ordered my truck two weeks ago and they aren't even sending me notices of the build yet......I ordered the Limited.
You don't want the tow mirrors unless you plan to tow frequently. However, the brake controller is a relatively low cost option that would be valuable if you ever get a bigger trailer. If you are 99% sure you will never tow a trailer with brakes then ignore it. If you have already placed your order, I would not worry about it.

Reactions: epiphysis

·
Registered
231 Posts
The tow package is cheap insurance for a probability of using it in the future. If you ever have to do it you will have to spend way more down the line.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK...so I made a big decision! I am going to see if I can add the tow package to my order. In case I do tow a trailer with two axles......in Ohio, it needs to have proper working brakes......so I decided to change to add the package....not a big deal....but I will feel better about it! and it gives me more options for getting stuff in the future. now to wait for the truck to arrive.......

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
When you sell it, I think it is a big value. My Jeep didn't come with the row package and I had to do a lot of wiring.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I tow a bunch, and I did not get the tow pack. I just got the brake controller. I don't like the factory tow mirrors.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
I just bought the brake controller. All the other stuff, except the mirrors, is already standard.

As for the mirrors, a friend bought an Ecoboost Ford with tow mirrors. They were electric and moved in and out. He smacked one and that cost him $600 to replace. Then the other one froze out. They claimed he damaged it and he decided to just leave it alone. That looked silly with one mirror way out until he smacked that one also. That knocked it in somehow and he just left it alone.

He also got those automatic running boards. Darn things came out, hit me in the shins, knocked me into his truck and messed me up. Now I'm cautious getting near the thing.

I use those clip-on mirrors over my regular ones. On and off when needed. Had them for three trucks in a row now. Well-spent $25.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the problem is that you hear all kinds of opinions.......I decided to go with the tow mirrors and brake......no big deal......I like the idea of being built in and no fussing.....I'm not really a car guy...tho I am very handy.......I just figured I am spending lots of $$ I should get what I think I should get...I appreciate all the input.......I am really afraid to go on about what tonneau cover I might get!!!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just bought the brake controller. All the other stuff, except the mirrors, is already standard.

As for the mirrors, a friend bought an Ecoboost Ford with tow mirrors. They were electric and moved in and out. He smacked one and that cost him $600 to replace. Then the other one froze out. They claimed he damaged it and he decided to just leave it alone. That looked silly with one mirror way out until he smacked that one also. That knocked it in somehow and he just left it alone.

He also got those automatic running boards. Darn things came out, hit me in the shins, knocked me into his truck and messed me up. Now I'm cautious getting near the thing.

I use those clip-on mirrors over my regular ones. On and off when needed. Had them for three trucks in a row now. Well-spent $25.
Captainmal, you and I need to link up for beer and lies. Next time you're heading N, give me a holler. -Scott in Savannah

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
apparently, it didnt matter what I wanted.....the dealer says the truck is too far along the line to change/ add anything. the brake can be added later, according to him........that's fine......it was just a what if thing, not a for sure thing that I will be trailering anything that needed brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the trailer brake controller can be dealer installed. I'm thinking about buying an ED off of the lot that doesn't have the controller.
Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just bought a factory Mopar controller for $205. and plan to install it myself. It should just snap in and plug in... I hope.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am with RangerGress on this one. Get the brake controller and the regular mirrors. Slap on some tow mirrors when you need them.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The tow mirrors are god aweful ugly. (factory ones) imo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts