RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don NOT test drive an EcoDiesel with the GDE Hot Tune! It will most likely cost you about $750 because you will have to have one. Installed mine today and was happy to discover that it feels very similar to driving the Hemi that I just traded in. Throttle response was very noticeably improved. Passing at highway speeds is very quick. Can't wait to pull my 4500lb boat.

Installation was very easy at my skill level (mostly just oil changes). This is one of those items that you just won't regret having. It only hurts when you pay the bill.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,784 Posts
You really felt a change?

Man I went through that a while ago and reported near the opposite. Never remembered putting a stopwatch on for acceleration testing pre and post GDE. Didn't even think of that as I literally and still feel near no change. Do like the EGR, fuel mileage and turbo brake feature while towing. GDE is good stuff. You must have really gotten the "HOT" model.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts

Man I went through that a while ago and reported near the opposite. Never remembered putting a stopwatch on for acceleration testing pre and post GDE. Didn't even think of that as I literally and still feel near no change. Do like the EGR, fuel mileage and turbo brake feature while towing. GDE is good stuff. You must have really gotten the "HOT" model.
I'm curious to know if those that REALLY notice a big difference are in trucks that are having issues...not issues as in blown motors, but really laggy peddle, etc. That's stuff I didn't have when my truck was brand new, but it has continued to get worse over time. Just curious...:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Capt -
Yes I REALLY can! Like yourself I did not put a stop watch on for acceration testing prior to the GDE installation. My seat of the pants dyno tells me the differences are real on my truck. If I have any regrets Its that prior to the GDE ECM I was very content to drive in a very relaxed manner because the truck just wasn't suited to driving aggressively at all.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I'm curious to know if those that REALLY notice a big difference are in trucks that are having issues...not issues as in blown motors, but really laggy peddle, etc. That's stuff I didn't have when my truck was brand new, but it has continued to get worse over time. Just curious...:cool:
Hershey, I have noticed that with every car that I have ever owned. They just keep getting slower and doggier a the miles add up, even my Corvette turned into a turd. Do you think that it may have something to do with getting used to the car and then wanting more power....nah, couldn't be that.:cool:

Reactions: Diesel78 and JohnC

·
Registered
61 Posts
You are going to love it when you hook up that boat!! I ran mine less than 400 miles before hot tuning, but did pull my 4K boat. I have 3.92 gears so the stock tune seemed acceptable, but not impressive by any means. Post tune much more responsive, it is fun pulling out in the passing lane with the boat behind me!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The GDE tune does make this 3.0L a beast. I had my tune for months before I really got into it like my old Hemi's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have to agree with Capt. If there was a TQ/HP increase it as pretty minimal. Of all the "tuned" cars I've had, it is by far the least noticeable. I wasn't sure mine had been tuned until I checked the turbo brake and the lower cruise control limit. I don't really feel much of an increase below 2k rpm. It feels like maybe a 5-10% improvement at peak.

If it does actually knock a second off the 0-60, I'd be surprised. Maybe with a super aggressive launch but with a normal street launch, it maybe feels like about 1/2-3/4 second improvement and more at the top end.

Having said I still appreciate all the other aspects of the tune; less regen, soot, mpg, etc. The engine braking was far more noticeable than the acceleration improvement. I'd still buy the tune but not for the limited HP/TQ improvement it provides.

Just for the heck of it, I may run my truck against my friends. Our trucks are very similar even down to color. :D His has more accessories but I have the GDE tune and not much else. Take that back, I added a hydraulic rod for the tailgage. That was my 2nd mod. :)

I wanted the GDE tune even before I bought the truck. I had heard so many good things about it. I'd like to see GDE tune slightly hotter than the hot tune. I do appreciate that they keep pretty close to stock boost levels from what I can tell. So they might be quite limited in what they can do and keep the longevity. I appreciate that of course.

·
Vendor
1,468 Posts
For HP, we are at the bearing speed limit on the turbo based on the Garrettt specs. We can certainly amp it up quite a bit more if you are willing to except reduced turbo life and excessive EGT. The trade off for HP and a $3500 turbo is just not worth it for most owners. Our goal is to maximize the potential of the engine for efficiency and performance without sacrificing longevity. We expect the GDE tuned trucks to be on the road long after the stock engines have choked themselves to death due soot accumulation and internal engine wear from dirty engine oil.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Come from an aeronautical engineering background, I can't say I disagree with that approach as I mentioned upstream. Just surprising how little headroom (so to speak) there was left. For me it is still a worthwhile mod. I also appreciate that it isn't blowing coal everywhere I go when hard on the gas.

I realize from a marketing standpoint, a lot of people are going to be looking at the HP/TQ improvements. If I were going solely by that, I would have gone with another tune and understood that I was seriously trading off longevity (if that mattered).

On the plus side, my truck was in the dealer and they never noticed it was tuned when they drove it. No really significant HP improvements means they are less likely to look into things. So maybe "hot tune" is a misnomer for it. Maybe more like "gentleman's tune" or "stealth tune" would be more appropriate. ;) Just kidding.

Is there anything that can be done to make the throttle a bit more responsive off idle? I think I read on here that someone once likened it to a long rubber band connected to the throttle. With the GDE tune that has been reduced but can that be reduced any more?

I am not looking for very abrupt throttle response like some cars are tuned from the factory to make you think they are faster than they are. It still seems to not be quite as linear as I would like. Is that just the limitations with what there is to work with?

I think at some point I'll consider the turbo upgrade. First I want to see if the truck holds well enough to invest in it. I had the Hemi before a lot of things to like about the truck but the 3D must makes it such a better all around truck for most of my usage. With the GDE tune, it is closer to what it should have been from the factory.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Come from an aeronautical engineering background, I can't say I disagree with that approach as I mentioned upstream. Just surprising how little headroom (so to speak) there was left. For me it is still a worthwhile mod. I also appreciate that it isn't blowing coal everywhere I go when hard on the gas.

I realize from a marketing standpoint, a lot of people are going to be looking at the HP/TQ improvements. If I were going solely by that, I would have gone with another tune and understood that I was seriously trading off longevity (if that mattered).

On the plus side, my truck was in the dealer and they never noticed it was tuned when they drove it. No really significant HP improvements means they are less likely to look into things. So maybe "hot tune" is a misnomer for it. Maybe more like "gentleman's tune" or "stealth tune" would be more appropriate. ;) Just kidding.

Is there anything that can be done to make the throttle a bit more responsive off idle? I think I read on here that someone once likened it to a long rubber band connected to the throttle. With the GDE tune that has been reduced but can that be reduced any more?

I am not looking for very abrupt throttle response like some cars are tuned from the factory to make you think they are faster than they are. It still seems to not be quite as linear as I would like. Is that just the limitations with what there is to work with?

I think at some point I'll consider the turbo upgrade. First I want to see if the truck holds well enough to invest in it. I had the Hemi before a lot of things to like about the truck but the 3D must makes it such a better all around truck for most of my usage. With the GDE tune, it is closer to what it should have been from the factory.
I think you are looking for a throttle sensitivity booster like these: Rollin Smoke Diesel. Throttle Sensitivity Booster

·
Registered
72 Posts
That might be worth playing with, thanks! I thought the GDE tune would address more of this than it did. Don't know if I'll take the plunge yet on one of these but I might in a few weeks.

Since there are so many options for them, obviously I am not the only person who thinks it is an issue. That was the aspect of the stock truck that I hated the most in daily driving.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just had the GDE tune installed last week, have never had an issue with the truck (yet ?). No blown motor or bla bla bla. It's night and day difference from stock, besides not pumping the sludge back into the motor, increased acceleration, increased mpg by 2+ just a much more enjoyable running truck.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I don't feel a thing from the tune. The only noticeable change is that a 3500 miles, my oil is crystal clear and my MPG is about 2 MPG better in mixed driving (23.5 vs 21.5).
Sounds like it's working just the way it's supposed to work:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also did not feel a big boost in power but the lack of regens and the engine braking downhill are a real plus! Slightly better acceleration off the line from a stop or a rolling stop but after 5,000+ miles I'm used to it now and it's normal... :(

The money was worth it just for the regen cycles for me. My truck was doing regens every 50-75 miles driving in town and had gone into limp mode once at ~2,500 miles for a full filter. I haven't seen an active regen message since installing the GDE ecu.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts

ref your comment about how little excess capacity there is on the turbo, I would consider that good design by FCA. No sense in buying hardware with more capability than you are going to use. I would think that philosophy would be rampant in the your industry or the airplanes wouldn't fly!;)

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
For HP, we are at the bearing speed limit on the turbo based on the Garrettt specs. We can certainly amp it up quite a bit more if you are willing to except reduced turbo life and excessive EGT. The trade off for HP and a $3500 turbo is just not worth it for most owners. Our goal is to maximize the potential of the engine for efficiency and performance without sacrificing longevity. We expect the GDE tuned trucks to be on the road long after the stock engines have choked themselves to death due soot accumulation and internal engine wear from dirty engine oil.
Do you guys have a projection on engine life with your tune? AS I understand your tune I conclude that how you use your vehicle (shortrips, lots of stops and starts and heavy acceleration vs easy acceleration and country driving of 5o miles per startup) has way less effect on the longevity of the engine and regens etc compared to the FCA tune. Do I have that correct?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts