RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
The GDE tune does make this 3.0L a beast. I had my tune for months before I really got into it like my old Hemi's.
I'm very strongly considering the GDE tune. I drive short commute distances and have struggled with soot buildup. Near constant regens in winter, nasty regen smell, having to drive extra miles to go through the regen cycle etc.. I am not concerned about increased HP, (but won't complain if I get it.) I'm also waiting to get my truck back after a new engine is installed under warranty. (see posting under engine failure thread if you want to know more.) So my options are either install GDE and EDGE CTS (or similar products.) Or just sell the thing and go back to shitty mileage gas burner.

My question for all of the many GDE fans out there is simple, but I'm sure the answer is not. "How can the GDE Tune, without exhaust delete: increase HP, increase MPG and increase TQ?? and/or, "How can this tune deliver all pros and no cons?" Doesn't something have to give in order for all of the pros of this tune to take affect? Is it durability since the engine is asked to perform closer to engineering thresholds? Of is the factory tune somehow "stupid-engineered?" It seems like that if the FCA engineers could, they would perform a tune that delivered all pros and no cons too.

Thanks for any thoughts and answers!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I've found no cons to the GDE tune, only pros. The factory tune sacrifices power and mpg in the name of tight emissions requirements and a quieter smoother running diesel engine.

GDE boasts that their tune is 'moderate' when it comes to power and is well within the capabilities of the 3.0L and transmission. They didn't go seeking gobs of power, but a cleaner more efficient engine. Power increases were a by-product.

I went with the GDE tune to clean up the internals for longevity, turning off the EGR and changing the injector timing for less soot. Power, less turbo lag, and increased MPG were just a bonus. Not to mention the regen msg, turbo brake, and high idle features.

I checked my oil at 3k and 8k, both times the dipstick looked clear, like a gasser. My wife's ED looks like black ink in no time flat. Intake running clean as well.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The one con that I found has to do with cruise control. Sometimes, the truck will just slow down a couple of miles per hour. It's almost guaranteed to slow down a couple of MPH if I mash the gas pedal to pass somebody and then let it drop back into cruise. I called Keith with my concern and he said that that's the way it's programmed in order get optimum fuel mileage. It should eventually go back up to where it was set, but it rarely does. Only once in my experience.

This is not a fatal flaw, but it sure is annoying when I have my cruise set just barely quicker than the guy I'm fixin' to pass. And then after I pass him, I let off the pedal and forget about it. Then the guy passes me almost immediately. And when I check my speed on the GPS, sho 'nuff I'm going 2 MPH slower than I was before. Because the tune had detected that I was using more fuel than I should and slowed accordingly. It's annoying and really aggravates the OCD in me. But, whatchagonnado?

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
The one con that I found has to do with cruise control. Sometimes, the truck will just slow down a couple of miles per hour. It's almost guaranteed to slow down a couple of MPH if I mash the gas pedal to pass somebody and then let it drop back into cruise. I called Keith with my concern and he said that that's the way it's programmed in order get optimum fuel mileage. It should eventually go back up to where it was set, but it rarely does. Only once in my experience.

This is not a fatal flaw, but it sure is annoying when I have my cruise set just barely quicker than the guy I'm fixin' to pass. And then after I pass him, I let off the pedal and forget about it. Then the guy passes me almost immediately. And when I check my speed on the GPS, sho 'nuff I'm going 2 MPH slower than I was before. Because the tune had detected that I was using more fuel than I should and slowed accordingly. It's annoying and really aggravates the OCD in me. But, whatchagonnado?
You must have some type of fluke in the program. While I'll give you the cruise tune is relaxed as far as maintaining the exact speed as you come to a hill the speed may drop a couple mph until it recovers, this keeps the truck from instantly downshifting. As far as giving the vehicle gas and then letting off, I have had no issues with the cruise returning to the previously set speed.

Reactions: Kennesaw!16

·
Registered
42 Posts
That might be worth playing with, thanks! I thought the GDE tune would address more of this than it did. Don't know if I'll take the plunge yet on one of these but I might in a few weeks.

Since there are so many options for them, obviously I am not the only person who thinks it is an issue. That was the aspect of the stock truck that I hated the most in daily driving.
THIS. The throttle response is so bad on my truck it ruins the driving experience. When I'm at a red light, I watch for the opposing light to turn yellow and start pushing the accelerator then. By the time that light finishes turning red and mine is green, I'm moving. It's getting annoying. How much was this improved when you tuned? Any thoughts on how to make it even more responsive? I have an '05 5.9 cummins and you lay your big toe on the throttle and the wheels are turning.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I've noticed this since installing the tune, just chalked it up to programming to delay downshifting to the point it might not be necessary, such as slight uphill grades. If it were more sensitive (as you would prefer) it would downshift at every slight grade and mileage would suffer, instead of allowing the torque of this engine do its job to maintain a relatively close speed in a tall gear. I'll take the occasional slight decrease in speed over more frequent downshifts.

Reactions: DrivingZiggy

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
Not a fluke. I called GDE and Keith told me that was in the programming. For better fuel mileage.
I'm referring to the truck returning to the set speed after speeding up. I have never had an issue with it returning to the speed I set it at after applying more fuel manually while cruise is engaged and then backing off. As stated before, I welcome the relaxed response as it keeps the truck from constantly down and up shifting.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've noticed this since installing the tune, just chalked it up to programming to delay downshifting to the point it might not be necessary, such as slight uphill grades. If it were more sensitive (as you would prefer) it would downshift at every slight grade and mileage would suffer, instead of allowing the torque of this engine do its job to maintain a relatively close speed in a tall gear. I'll take the occasional slight decrease in speed over more frequent downshifts.
Not exactly what I'm saying. When I set the cruise on, say 65. When I go up a highway overpass it drops to 63. And it stays at 63. Forever. When I set it on 65 and then mash on it just enough to pass somebody, after I pass them it will slow to 63. Now, I'm using my GPS for speed when I set it. And the indicator in the dash will say 65 even when it is at 63. But if I hit the + button, it will immediately indicate 63 and then begin climbing.

I do, indeed like that it will not downshift frequently. I like how it accelerates when I hit "resume." But I don't like how it will not "hold" the speed I set.

I'm referring to the truck returning to the set speed after speeding up. I have never had an issue with it returning to the speed I set it at after applying more fuel manually while cruise is engaged and then backing off. As stated before, I welcome the relaxed response as it keeps the truck from constantly down and up shifting.
I think I covered this above. Mine is not acting like that. I, too, like the relaxed response. I just want it to hold/return to the speed I set.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not exactly what I'm saying. When I set the cruise on, say 65. When I go up a highway overpass it drops to 63. And it stays at 63. Forever. When I set it on 65 and then mash on it just enough to pass somebody, after I pass them it will slow to 63. Now, I'm using my GPS for speed when I set it. And the indicator in the dash will say 65 even when it is at 63. But if I hit the + button, it will immediately indicate 63 and then begin climbing.

I do, indeed like that it will not downshift frequently. I like how it accelerates when I hit "resume." But I don't like how it will not "hold" the speed I set.

I think I covered this above. Mine is not acting like that. I, too, like the relaxed response. I just want it to hold/return to the speed I set.
It could be a newfound overestimation of torque coupled with already sluggish PID controls in the cruise control. That's a complaint I have as well with the vehicles I work on. Cruise always seems lazy.

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts

Not to keep beating a dead horse but i have not had the issue you describe above and it is what I was referring to in my last post. If I have the cruise set at 65 and approach a hill and the speed drops to say 62-63 once the system "catches up" the speed will return to the set 65 or whatever I have it set at. Same when giving it more fuel to pass, once I let off of the petal it will return to the set cruise speed not a lower speed as you describe.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just tuned my new 2017 RAM. The truck feels like different truck... much more power. Fast idle helps to warm up A LOT. It is not really cold outside but usually it took forever to get it warm. The other good thing is DEF crap is not going to bother me again.

I was surprised to find that GDE is just 50 miles away from me. I drove there and they took care of removing ecu, updating it and putting it back. It all took about 30 minutes, or even less.

Now my next move is getting rid of DPF and Cat....Flo~Pro 863NB pipes are on their way. I would leave this crap on truck but I do have a lot of short/cold runs just under 10 miles. This will eventually be a problem.

So I will get delete tune after and keep DPF and Cat for later needs.

GDE, thanks a lot!!!! Very good job!!!!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Just tuned my new 2017 RAM. The truck feels like different truck... much more power. Fast idle helps to warm up A LOT. It is not really cold outside but usually it took forever to get it warm. The other good thing is DEF crap is not going to bother me again.

I was surprised to find that GDE is just 50 miles away from me. I drove there and they took care of removing ecu, updating it and putting it back. It all took about 30 minutes, or even less.

Now my next move is getting rid of DPF and Cat....Flo~Pro 863NB pipes are on their way. I would leave this crap on truck but I do have a lot of short/cold runs just under 10 miles. This will eventually be a problem.

So I will get delete tune after and keep DPF and Cat for later needs.

GDE, thanks a lot!!!! Very good job!!!!
To each their own however the rest of us drive hundred thousand miles have a good warm-ups don't worry about DEF DPF etc. etc.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts