RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
The one con that I found has to do with cruise control. Sometimes, the truck will just slow down a couple of miles per hour. It's almost guaranteed to slow down a couple of MPH if I mash the gas pedal to pass somebody and then let it drop back into cruise. I called Keith with my concern and he said that that's the way it's programmed in order get optimum fuel mileage. It should eventually go back up to where it was set, but it rarely does. Only once in my experience.

This is not a fatal flaw, but it sure is annoying when I have my cruise set just barely quicker than the guy I'm fixin' to pass. And then after I pass him, I let off the pedal and forget about it. Then the guy passes me almost immediately. And when I check my speed on the GPS, sho 'nuff I'm going 2 MPH slower than I was before. Because the tune had detected that I was using more fuel than I should and slowed accordingly. It's annoying and really aggravates the OCD in me. But, whatchagonnado?
Xs 2 I really hate the cruise control with the GDE

·
Registered
101 Posts
Xs 2 I really hate the cruise control with the GDE
Being on a different tune for a while now I'd rather have the problem you guys have in this aspect. Not from a fuel efficiency standpoint but from a shifting standpoint. My truck constantly searches 7-8 now but with GDE it would at least hold 8 longer. It usually stayed in 8 all the time at highway speeds down to 55 mph. I now lock 8 out unless I'm going at least 65-70 just to prevent the searching.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
To each their own however the rest of us drive hundred thousand miles have a good warm-ups don't worry about DEF DPF etc. etc.
Dave...believe me, your warm-ups are night and day compared to a GDE tune with the high idle feature. I've seen both in our winters and this is an area that I think RAM missed. If I got a tune, one of the main reason would be the high idle feature.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,546 Posts
Been happy with GDE. One think I do not like is the DPF regenerates starting at 90%. With the stock tune I would easily complete a regen on my way home from work 20 miles of 65 mph driving with a few stop signs/lights. Just finished my second regen with the tune and I went the long way home and it still did not finish by time I got home.

Other than that I still like it and I like how the cruise control works although I do not usually use it.

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
Been happy with GDE. One think I do not like is the DPF regenerates starting at 90%. With the stock tune I would easily complete a regen on my way home from work 20 miles of 65 mph driving with a few stop signs/lights. Just finished my second regen with the tune and I went the long way home and it still did not finish by time I got home.

Other than that I still like it and I like how the cruise control works although I do not usually use it.
I think you may have some other issue going on if the regen is starting at 90%. The GDE tune starts a regen at 80% and I've never seen it last more than 10 miles even when not on the highway.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm very strongly considering the GDE tune. I drive short commute distances and have struggled with soot buildup. Near constant regens in winter, nasty regen smell, having to drive extra miles to go through the regen cycle etc.. I am not concerned about increased HP, (but won't complain if I get it.) I'm also waiting to get my truck back after a new engine is installed under warranty. (see posting under engine failure thread if you want to know more.) So my options are either install GDE and EDGE CTS (or similar products.) Or just sell the thing and go back to shitty mileage gas burner.

My question for all of the many GDE fans out there is simple, but I'm sure the answer is not. "How can the GDE Tune, without exhaust delete: increase HP, increase MPG and increase TQ?? and/or, "How can this tune deliver all pros and no cons?" Doesn't something have to give in order for all of the pros of this tune to take affect? Is it durability since the engine is asked to perform closer to engineering thresholds? Of is the factory tune somehow "stupid-engineered?" It seems like that if the FCA engineers could, they would perform a tune that delivered all pros and no cons too.

Thanks for any thoughts and answers!
I don't think I saw where anyone answered your question about why FCA wouldn't do what GDE does regarding the benefits of a differently tuned truck. It's called the EPA, and shutting off the EGR increases emissions as does disabling the DEF injection, as NOx is produced. These tunes, as a result, are called off road. The arguments for the tune relate to the fact that a truck that has it arguably uses less fuel attributable to fewer, more efficient regens as well as most converts reporting modest mileage increases. I do wonder why, however, those arguments haven't been objectively quantified, so it appears it either is difficult to do so, and/or the EPA isn't interested. The environmental damage bar is set by the EPA, and the pollution components involved in those calculations also set by them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Don NOT test drive an EcoDiesel with the GDE Hot Tune! It will most likely cost you about $750 because you will have to have one. Installed mine today and was happy to discover that it feels very similar to driving the Hemi that I just traded in. Throttle response was very noticeably improved. Passing at highway speeds is very quick. Can't wait to pull my 4500lb boat.

Installation was very easy at my skill level (mostly just oil changes). This is one of those items that you just won't regret having. It only hurts when you pay the bill.
But it's a good kind of hurt, the enjoyable kind.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
If fca finds out the truck has aftermarket tuning yes it well cause a warranty denial. Luckily most dealership techs are clueless for what to look for with aftermarket tuning so unless there is hardware changes it should be fine. My warranty got denied but the delete gave it away and yes the service department said they dont care in advance so dont trust there word.

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
The local service Mgr is my cousin. He says if it’s a full delete it will especially if the exhaust is replaced etc ie where they can’t not see it. If it’s just a tune it CAN if A Ram knows about it and B they have reason to believe it could play a part in the failure. As far as his service department they don’t want to know about it and will only look for it if Ram instructs them to. All of which is pretty much common sense really.

Reactions: utahredrock

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think I saw where anyone answered your question about why FCA wouldn't do what GDE does regarding the benefits of a differently tuned truck. It's called the EPA, and shutting off the EGR increases emissions as does disabling the DEF injection, as NOx is produced. These tunes, as a result, are called off road. The arguments for the tune relate to the fact that a truck that has it arguably uses less fuel attributable to fewer, more efficient regens as well as most converts reporting modest mileage increases. I do wonder why, however, those arguments haven't been objectively quantified, so it appears it either is difficult to do so, and/or the EPA isn't interested. The environmental damage bar is set by the EPA, and the pollution components involved in those calculations also set by them.
From the way I understand emissions systems this is partially true. Emissions laws cover both the required features/functionality (EGR, DPF, CAT, etc) and they regulate the end emissions. The EGR is 1990's technology, and was the best way they had to manage NOx emissions back then. Now days we have DEF that is far superior at managing NOx.

From what I understand our NOx emissions can be effectively managed by DEF alone at the expense of using more DEF. The only real reason we still need an EGR valve is because it's mandated to be on the engine and operational by the EPA. The real benefit to our post DEF engines is that it allows a portion of NOx emissions to be managed with the EGR and therefore allows the consumer to use less DEF.

I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts