RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum it was still a great participant in the discussion type first post. GDE has unique first hand experience & involvement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Doesn't GDE tune Sacrafice Emissions control for performance

Wow that graph was impressive, an increase of 50hp and about 3 seconds off the 0-60mph time!

Back in the 60's and 70's before a race, we used to increase engine performance by removing or modifying the emissions controls our our stock motors.

Remember how VW got in a lot of trouble with their diesel tune? They were able to get great mileage as well.

With all due respect, isn't that just what the GDE ECM flash is doing? Has anyone performed a before/after emissions test?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow that graph was impressive, an increase of 50hp and about 3 seconds off the 0-60mph time!

Back in the 60's and 70's before a race, we used to increase engine performance by removing or modifying the emissions controls our our stock motors.

Remember how VW got in a lot of trouble with their diesel tune? They were able to get great mileage as well.

With all due respect, isn't that just what the GDE ECM flash is doing? Has anyone performed a before/after emissions test?
Its for off road use only.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm thinking there was a discussion on this a while back and the general thought was that increased Nox was the concern due to elimination of EGR. Other emissions may actually get better due to the efficiency that GDE adds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For HP, we are at the bearing speed limit on the turbo based on the Garrettt specs. We can certainly amp it up quite a bit more if you are willing to except reduced turbo life and excessive EGT. The trade off for HP and a $3500 turbo is just not worth it for most owners. Our goal is to maximize the potential of the engine for efficiency and performance without sacrificing longevity. We expect the GDE tuned trucks to be on the road long after the stock engines have choked themselves to death due soot accumulation and internal engine wear from dirty engine oil.
Does the gde kit help with regen, and does the turbo breaking wear down the turbo or motor faster? I'm interested in the gde and pedal commander but not sure if I need both and I really like the idea of the Jake break but only if it's not going to destroy it any quicker

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm curious to know if those that REALLY notice a big difference are in trucks that are having issues...not issues as in blown motors, but really laggy peddle, etc. That's stuff I didn't have when my truck was brand new, but it has continued to get worse over time. Just curious...:cool:
Yes, I’m starting to think so.
I have one that had constant issues since I bought back in January. ‘18 with 88k. Since tune have noticed improvements. Still playin it by ear, only about a month in. Hot shot diesel extreme in the mail for the next tank.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts