RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I stopped by a friend's exhaust shop to have him take a look at my truck to see about building an exhaust and to talk about fabbing up some hard pipes for the intercooler. The first thing he said to me was, "you know its the exact same exhaust system that the hemi has on it?". Puzzled I asked if he was sure, after pointing out the dpf to him, but he said yes it was. We looked up the part number on Mopar and sure enough it the same system. Now the question is why is it taking so long to build exhaust for this truck (yes I understand the piping should or would be larger due to being a diesel) and do we really need it? He said just to use a Mufflex muffler delete system if I just wanted to get rid of the oversized stock muffler and keep the rear section for a stock look. Thinking long and hard about this one!

Here is a link to the Mufflex system:
Muffler Delete Very Aggressive - Mufflex Performance Store

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll stay stock. Waste of money and would just worsen sound. I like how quiet this car is. I had a G35 a long time ago, put a full Borla exhaust and K&N CAI -- no HP gain and horrible drone at highway speed. Wasted my money and made it harder to sell.
I fail to see that, i have a 2012 mustang 5.0 with a borla cat back s type and i gained 15 hp and 10 tq. car baselined at 360 rwhp and 340 tq. DId 1-7/8 American racing headers with offroad X pipe and the catback was 3 1/2 inch tubing and 5" muffler tips. Was nothing but pipe from header to muffler and with a 91 octane tune. Picked up 450 RWHP and 430 TQ. I doubt the headers and tune gave me 70 HP, when the headers claimed 32 HP and 20 TQ and the cat back claimed around 16 HP and 10 TQ. I realize this is a diesel but it's simple logic, bigger intake = more power and more exhaust flow = freeing up power. regardless if it's gas or diesel engines.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
But Bladez, the main thing not accounted for in your example is the DPF. That is the choke point on these trucks. As long as the DPF is there, there is no increased outflow.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Bigger intake only matters if the ECU computer calls for more air and makes use of it. Many modern cars can remove the filter and see no difference in power and economy as tr computer self adjusts it's call for air. The engineers design the intake and filter to provide the amount if air required, when the filter is the completely dirty at end of life-- like a leased car that never changed its filter over 3 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts