RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a 2015 Dodge 1500 ecodiesel with 123k miles. I have been researching all the pros and cons of theses VM Motori engines, and the cons have me rethinking buying an ecodiesel. I just got rid of a 3valve Triton, and I don't want another headache engine.

I will be driving it as a daily commuter in the Ozark hills, and hauling some lawn equipment a few days a week.

Anyone's experiences good and bad will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Me personally I'd buy it only if it was tuned, you can know if it has a tune by trying to set cruise control at 15 mph.

Otherwise, 123k miles with no tune me thinks the intake is probably full of soot..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Me personally I'd buy it only if it was tuned, you can know if it has a tune by trying to set cruise control at 15 mph.

Otherwise, 123k miles with no tune me thinks the intake is probably full of soot..
I agree with justind. Tuned or no buy. The AEM flash has been nothing but problems for a lot of guys, not to mention all the soot causes the egr to get stuck OPEN and it overheats the intake, melts them, then boom, the truck blows up in flames and that's it, she's done, $50,000 truck all gone., and don't expect any support from FCA once it catches fire... she'll be melted like a marshmellow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with justind. Tuned or no buy. The AEM flash has been nothing but problems for a lot of guys, not to mention all the soot causes the egr to get stuck OPEN and it overheats the intake, melts them, then boom, the truck blows up in flames and that's it, she's done, $50,000 truck all gone., and don't expect any support from FCA once it catches fire... she'll be melted like a marshmellow.
Between the software emissions issues and the engine failures, It almost makes one wonder IF that wasn't FCA's original intent with the AEM flash to begin with: burn em to the ground and let the customer's insurance deal with it, but it will now be out of our hair.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Between the software emissions issues and the engine failures, It almost makes one wonder IF that wasn't FCA's original intent with the AEM flash to begin with: burn em to the ground and let the customer's insurance deal with it, but it will now be out of our hair.
thank you for saying that, that was my thought exactly! then FCA just plays dumb, hm, it could have been anything that caused the fire.. wipes their hands clean of it. not our problem...

·
Registered
386 Posts
You really think that FCA would want these fires to happen? C'mon. Then a bunch of people die in a bunch of fires and an inquest finds FCA responsible????? Are you guys thinking straight?

·
Registered
942 Posts
If the AEM is overheating the intake by the eve cooler under heavy demand, and a series of fires are deemed to be the end result, I would think that pattern will be noted by the insurance industry.

As I recall that's what Sergio was concerned about and why they risked the emission violation in the first place.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The last fire reported on here was a tuned truck that's had the EGR turned off almost since new so shouldn't have much soot at all in the EGR.

·
Registered
446 Posts
you'll be purchasing a vehicle with the intake/EGR/top half of the engine at the life expectancy.... hard pass. somebody got all the good miles out of it, you'll be purchasing a truck looking for parts and some of them are on back order like the intake manifolds. these are not the diesels of the 80's, these are the diesels with life expectancy.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
So is the price right? I mean cheap allows some room to make changes. You can quite those programming issues with some research and about a grand.

There are great positive sides to the Ecodiesel. The fuel mileage is the stuff of dreams for any pickup. Get rid of the emissions and you just could've a real super package.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts