RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my truck a few months and already put 6k miles on it. I got rid of the crap stock tires and went with Nitto Dura Grappler highway tires, which are 10 ply, and weight about 55lbs each compared to I believe around 41 stock. Even before doing this, when I am in Aero Mode, my truck rides like total crap. The highways here in Kansas are definitely not the greatest. So I have a few questions for guys with air ride:

1 - does Aero Mode really make a noticeable difference as far as mpg? If it doesn't, I wanna turn it off to improve ride quality.

2 - do you feel your truck rides better or worse with air ride? I have had non-air ride, with and without lift, with and without Bilstein, with and without 10 ply tires, and I feel like they're all crap when you put on 10 ply.

I do like the features of air ride, but I require 10 ply, period. I am out in the country a lot driving on very sharp rock. The Dura Grapplers were a great choice for me since I drive highway 90% of the time, they have great treat for that, not too terrible of a ride for 10 ply, still get great mpg, but can go off road when I need to with confidence I'm not gonna get a flat. I've had these in some pretty nasty stuff already too, and never got stuck. They're not near as good as my Dick Cepek Fun Country II I had on my last truck, but they're much better all around.

Let me know what your thoughts and experience are on this stuff. I plan on keeping my truck til it dies, but man this ride really does suck...

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
How much air are you running in the E range tires?

Your riding around in probably the best riding 1/2 ton pickup on the market (its at a minimum the most plush/softest ride).

·
Registered
473 Posts
What do you mean about the ride being bad?

Is it that their isn't enough give? Is it to soft? Are you bottoming out a lot?
Is the ride really good in non aero then goes crazy different in aero?

Are you running 80psi in the new tires?

I don't have air ride in my ram (had enough air ride joy in the denali's for a lifetime). But when riding in other ram's that have it I couldn't tell the difference between the modes in regard to ride difference.
Others will prolly chime in with their thoughts on the ride difference.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Your riding around in probably the best riding 1/2 ton pickup on the market (its at a minimum the most plush/softest ride).
Totally agree with MAS. As others asked, what are you running for pressure in the 10 ply tires? Get your axles each weighed and use a load / range chart for the 10 ply tires. If most of your driving is unloaded, you'll be surprised how far down you can air the 10 plies.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Running my 275/65/20 BFG KO2 at 40psi. Rides soft and still getting 27mpg on crappy CA roads. Just did some off road up to independence lake, (snow mud streams)they did great.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I can't perceptibly tell when my truck goes into aero mode. Honestly in 2.5 yrs of ownership I have never once been able to tell you if the truck is in aero mode or not without looking at the info screen or noting my speed. Can't even tell when it's going up/down much less a ride difference once in the new position.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I turned off AeroMode on mine because it absolutely makes the truck ride stiffer! I
Can you tell a mpg difference? Totally agree about Aero Mode on mine. I just drive so much highway I need all the mpg I can get.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run 45psi all around. I called Nitto and got the recommended psi for my tires and my truck exactly, and they said 54psi cold, no load. I did that and it rode like there was no suspension. When I had my Dick Cepeks, I ran like 43psi in them and they wore extremely well, but did eventually get very flat, noisy, and were killing my mpg.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can you tell a mpg difference? Totally agree about Aero Mode on mine. I just drive so much highway I need all the mpg I can get.

I really couldn't tell a difference. There are so many variables with terrain, traffic and headwinds that I couldn't tell. I REALLY could tell that I improved 3-5 mpg with the GDE I installed!!!!
Not to get off track but that was the best money spent! completely changed the way the truck performs!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Have had my truck a few months and already put 6k miles on it. I got rid of the crap stock tires and went with Nitto Dura Grappler highway tires, which are 10 ply, and weight about 55lbs each compared to I believe around 41 stock. Even before doing this, when I am in Aero Mode, my truck rides like total crap. The highways here in Kansas are definitely not the greatest. So I have a few questions for guys with air ride:

1 - does Aero Mode really make a noticeable difference as far as mpg? If it doesn't, I wanna turn it off to improve ride quality.

2 - do you feel your truck rides better or worse with air ride? I have had non-air ride, with and without lift, with and without Bilstein, with and without 10 ply tires, and I feel like they're all crap when you put on 10 ply.

I do like the features of air ride, but I require 10 ply, period. I am out in the country a lot driving on very sharp rock. The Dura Grapplers were a great choice for me since I drive highway 90% of the time, they have great treat for that, not too terrible of a ride for 10 ply, still get great mpg, but can go off road when I need to with confidence I'm not gonna get a flat. I've had these in some pretty nasty stuff already too, and never got stuck. They're not near as good as my Dick Cepek Fun Country II I had on my last truck, but they're much better all around.

Let me know what your thoughts and experience are on this stuff. I plan on keeping my truck til it dies, but man this ride really does suck...
It sounds like it may come down to personal preference?

Going from the "crappy" stock tires (I thought they were ok until about 30k, then they got a little sketchy in snow/ice) to E range tires, the tires alone made a rather large difference in ride quality. Driving the same roads as I did with the stock tires, those same bumps are much more noticeable now than they were with the stock 20" tire. I have both 17" and 20" wheel/tires and the ride is a little better on the 17" tires, both sets are run at 45 psi.

When I was still running stock tires on the 20", swapping to the 17's for winter conditions was a big change in ride quality. With aero mode, what was once a "thump" on stock tires became a "BANG". Now, it's "BANG" all year round. While they were not a consideration, I got a steal on a set of Michelin AT2's for the 20's and once those are done, will be replaced with the LTX M/S that I originally wanted for a more compliant ride during the summer months.

If you want a real treat, drop it down into park/entry and hit a speed bump at 5 mph.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can account maybe .5-.75mpg to Aero? And I don't find it to effect my ride quality noticeably enough to complain. There's a setting in the suspension menu to turn it off I believe. And tow/haul mode also disables it. Along with having a 7 blade trailer plug in or it sensing electric trailer brakes regardless of tow/haul mode being on.

I put LT275/65/20 cooper Stt pro's on mine after about 36k and I knew I was losing some give in the tires and picking up a lot of weight but it's not that bad. I think the coil springs probably ride better than the air but I love the features of the air 110%. I have no regrets, and cooper recommended 45psi opposed to factory 39 for the P rated tire and it's a comfortable ride, fair MPG, told me I can air down to about 15 for offroad use.

I'd really look twice at your Tire pressure and beyond that acknowledge that regardless of air or coil suspension in either Ram pickup; you are still in a truck. It's not going to ride like a Mercedes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It drops the front end about an inch, so yes ride quality does get impacted. However, all of our highways in the metromess are under construction, so ride quality sucks anyway. Because of stop and go traffic, I'm not always in Aero mode, and I cannot tell from the ride. In fact, I feel no difference between the two. It's still the best riding truck I've ever owned.

If you installed those tires, I'm betting your ride quality suffered tremendously. Also, i'm betting your MPG took a rather large hit as well. The only way to offset the ride quality is to improve your suspension, which you can't do, because it's factory air. So it sounds like you might have bought a truck with a package you didn't need or want since you have to have those tires.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have springs, but do notice a difference with LT LR-E tires (Not 10 plies, because I know of no Bias Ply tires on the market. 3 of 4 seems to be the norm when reading the tire). I run around 40 to 42 in the tires myself. I also have 18s for my normal tires and kept the 20s for my winters, and those are P rated.

·
Registered
938 Posts
DOn't get this one. Every Truck guy that's been in my air ride truck has ranted about how great the ride is. I'm running Michelin truck tires.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'd really look twice at your Tire pressure and beyond that acknowledge that regardless of air or coil suspension in either Ram pickup; you are still in a truck. It's not going to ride like a Mercedes.
My father in law says my Ram rides better than both his Mercedes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts