RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to deactivate the disabled navigation "feature" whilst driving?

Does anyone know how to deactivate the disabled navigation "feature" whilst driving? When the truck is in motion you can't type addresses in. My other car allows me to dismiss a warning that basically says be careful whilst driving. I'm an adult and will make a good choice whilst driving, I won't type out a really complicated address. Sometimes I just need to make a small adjustment to something and it's annoying to have to pull over. There are so many other things that you can do with the UConnect (way more involved that typing in address) without restriction.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well I would agree with you that it sucks but I think you will find that in all new vehicles it locks you out. I'm not sure what year they went to that. You have two options.
1. Use your voice commands. They actually work very well, at least for me. I'm sure you won't like that option so...
2. You can buy a "lock pick" Google search for it. It unlocks all the locked out features and opens up some other cool things like: front camera option, able to watch movies or look at pictures, among other things. This option will set you back some cash.
Good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I would agree with you that it sucks but I think you will find that in all new vehicles it locks you out. I'm not sure what year they went to that. You have two options.
1. Use your voice commands. They actually work very well, at least for me. I'm sure you won't like that option so...
2. You can buy a "lock pick" Google search for it. It unlocks all the locked out features and opens up some other cool things like: front camera option, able to watch movies or look at pictures, among other things. This option will set you back some cash.
Good luck
Yeah a lock pick is about $350, a little too pricey. I did see this, but it requires the nav DVD, which I don't have: Nav Unit In-Motion Limitations Defeated!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Does anyone know how to deactivate the disabled navigation "feature" whilst driving? When the truck is in motion you can't type addresses in. My other car allows me to dismiss a warning that basically says be careful whilst driving. I'm an adult and will make a good choice whilst driving, I won't type out a really complicated address. Sometimes I just need to make a small adjustment to something and it's annoying to have to pull over. There are so many other things that you can do with the UConnect (way more involved that typing in address) without restriction.
The crippled keyboard is an infuriating and stupid restriction without a good alternative. The restriction derives from the hands-free phone laws, but navigation is a different function with the need for real-time input. It is often impractical and dangerous to pull over: bad weather, rural roads without shoulders, controlled access highways, downtowns with limited parking, etc. Course changes may need to be made quickly, and a confused driver is a distracted and dangerous driver. Besides, there is often a passenger who can do the typing. Why not put a warning on the startup screen and let the driver decide when it is prudent to use the keyboard?

I can't get the voice recognition to work cleanly which just adds to the frustration. So, I resort to a portable GPS receiver or phone for navigation. And that's not the only distraction imposed by the lawyers. In the middle of driving a message often pops up, "You are entering an area with unverified map data. Please drive carefully!," which requires me to take my hand off the wheel and press "OK" to dismiss. Crazy! :mad:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Agree with all the above. It would be nice if my wife could enter things when i m driving. The voice commands are somewhat frustrating as you have to ask the RIGHT question.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Agree with all the above. It would be nice if my wife could enter things when i m driving. The voice commands are somewhat frustrating as you have to ask the RIGHT question.
To the truck, right? Because I've found that my wife has the same challenge sometimes when responding to my questions. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agree with all of you...

Seems like they should be able to add some more code (since these are full of electronics and computers now anyway) and at least tie some of the locked out features to the passenger present switch so that your passenger can use some of those features while the driver...drives. As was mentioned.... we are all adults... yes we can make bad decisions but that doesn't mean someone else should be making decisions for us. Provide smart decision options for us that are easy to use and most people will choose a smart decision.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Alas I wish that were the case, unfortunately there is a lot of stupid people out there....as anyone who has watched honey boo boo can attest

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have the same issue with the "You are entering an area with unverified map data. Please drive carefully!” message, even when driving in city. Does anyone know how to disable this distraction or when there will be a fix available?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are the lock picks a one buy/one use kind of thing or could someone buy it and use it then pass it on to someone else? Or is it a device that has to stay attached to the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Are the lock picks a one buy/one use kind of thing or could someone buy it and use it then pass it on to someone else? Or is it a device that has to stay attached to the vehicle?
Stays attached to the system. Possibly the worst product make in history, as this is not a "lock pick" of any sort. It's more like a convertor, or interface, enabling you to override factory functions and use cool new things. love the idea of the front-facing video camera.

But not something you plug in, change codes, then pass along to someone else. If you want to use that new unlocked access, it's got to remain installed in your dash.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That's too bad. I could see the cost being worth it if I could split it with a few other people, but not really worth it for a single vehicle.

·
Registered
391 Posts
they're actually pretty cool if you want to use the features of the factory head unit instead of buying an aftermarket one. I've always had aftermarket head units but am trying to leave this one in since i ordered the 8.4 w/ nav. going to try the lockpick and loc to run my amps. Hopefully i can get a clean signal. if not, that will be a whole lot of wasted money when i have to buy a different head unit.

Look into coastetch and rax jailbreak. those seem to be the 2 decent ones.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the same issue with the "You are entering an area with unverified map data. Please drive carefully!” message, even when driving in city. Does anyone know how to disable this distraction or when there will be a fix available?
That's a map error, somehow there are still developed areas that Garmin has terrible data for. Not sure what the cost is the a Garmin update on our systems, Garmin gives away the map updates now but since it's Ram's system they can charge for new ones.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That's a map error, somehow there are still developed areas that Garmin has terrible data for. Not sure what the cost is the a Garmin update on our systems, Garmin gives away the map updates now but since it's Ram's system they can charge for new ones.
My guess is that the data are available but Ram contracted for a lesser data set. Ram also did not pay for frequent updates; I checked the update site and we are still using 2013 data. When it comes an update will probably be $150.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
how about streaming google maps?
The Uconnect system streams traffic data, so there is no reason it could not also stream the latest maps other than cellular reception, bandwidth and expense. If the system could store the real-time map data for poor reception areas then we would have something.

Map streaming can also be done with another device such as a smart phone although it will not display on the truck's system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts