RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to buy and love idea of small diesel. Do any of you guys have experience with putting a small plow for 1 driveway, residential use? My truck now is a Chevy 1500 HD, they no longer make any 1/2 ton "HD" models. I'm concerned about the dial shifter having only used the column shifter I can I can operate with the plow control in my hand. Also, conconcerned about how stout the front end is. I'm thinking about loading an outdoorsman to my liking as it will also be my daily driver. I think I need antislip diff and would like 17"S as I've gone through 4 sets of studded snows in 12 years and I think it would be cheaper. Also could buy certified used '14 loaded limited 12k miles for $45 and think it has skidplates on 20" s. Not sure if air susp good or bad for me. Thoughts on setup, experience, deal would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I can only give you my take.

Air Ride

Air Ride will throw a signal after a while. Cant raise or lower sometimes.

No big deal, only leave plow on for storms. Take it off afterwards.

Try to clear codes with OBDll scanner or Auto Zone or then Dealer.

P24D1 Power Train? is my newest Code.

Think Switching to Forward to Reverse to Fast in LOW 4WD. Trans kind of leaves you hanging out on the road and only experience this in 4 LOW.

12" of snow plus for our first storm of the season.

Stock Tires 20" Good Years SRA

Havent even put any weight in the bed yet.

No Problems During day or night time.

Only complaint is the steering wheel will and can toast your hands. ;-)
20151122_120004r.jpg
20151122_120024.jpg

·
Registered
737 Posts
For the record with the 1500's they don't recommend a snowplow because of the electric power steering. If you do decide to do it though get a tradesman or outdoorsman without 4 auto.
Never heard that one, but may be fact.

The only issues were the weight of a plow with our limited front end limited carrying capacities.

I kind of got the ok from Dealer and Plow Installer.

Sno Way kind of better built than lighter plows so I was told by Adams Enterprise, McHenry, IL.

I bought mine barely used, yr old model.

Weakest, Pain in the arse with this system vs Western or Meyers is hooking the thing up.

Now this being my 2nd season, getting use to it.

(4-5) Electrical Connectors seem cheap vs Western set ups, but once all hooked up, Plow working flawlessly.

Had an CEL light turn on during last storm. Tried with Torque App to turn off twice on 2 diff days, but wouldnt turn off.

Went to Auto Zone and this manager said couldnt do that for me, against store policy, said fine, walked out.

Next day, light turned off.

Think I glitched computer in truck switching from forward to reverse to fast in 4 Low. Really likes it slow in 4 low before you can get a gear to move again.

Light blinks a lot and just have to be patient with the truck.

vs grabbing a stick and shifting with a clutch. ;-) oh yea and the levers on the floor (who said IH scout? ;-) )

·
Registered
521 Posts
Never heard that one, but may be fact.

The only issues were the weight of a plow with our limited front end limited carrying capacities.

I kind of got the ok from Dealer and Plow Installer.

Sno Way kind of better built than lighter plows so I was told by Adams Enterprise, McHenry, IL.

I bought mine barely used, yr old model.

Weakest, Pain in the arse with this system vs Western or Meyers is hooking the thing up.

Now this being my 2nd season, getting use to it.

(4-5) Electrical Connectors seem cheap vs Western set ups, but once all hooked up, Plow working flawlessly.

Had an CEL light turn on during last storm. Tried with Torque App to turn off twice on 2 diff days, but wouldnt turn off.

Went to Auto Zone and this manager said couldnt do that for me, against store policy, said fine, walked out.

Next day, light turned off.

Think I glitched computer in truck switching from forward to reverse to fast in 4 Low. Really likes it slow in 4 low before you can get a gear to move again.

Light blinks a lot and just have to be patient with the truck.

vs grabbing a stick and shifting with a clutch. ;-) oh yea and the levers on the floor (who said IH scout? ;-) )
That is why the new 2015 f-150's have a snow plow prep package but only for the 5.0 v8 trucks because they still uses a standard hydraulic assist power steering system.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the manual speaks to not recommending a plow on the 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have a 14 tradesman that i plow with commercially i run a snowdogg md 75 on mine plowed last winter with it no problem it takes a little while getting used to the dial shifter

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Wouldn't want to buyba truck that had been used to plow with. Lots of stress on the drivetrain / frame but good luck with it.

Reactions: loveracing1988

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wouldn't want to buyba truck that had been used to plow with. Lots of stress on the drivetrain / frame but good luck with it.
I have a friend that said Meyers would not install their plows in 1500 series... Not sure if that's true, but he seemed pretty sure about it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
western&fisher both make a ht series plow thats approved for the 1500 eco as well as snow doggs md series all of them weigh right around 400 pounds I run the snow dogg md 75 on mine and plow commercially

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you put the Eco info into the fisher plow match program in their website it will mate the truck with is the Homesteader plow. The Hemi is rated for the Ht, Homesteader and the Sd. Only reason I even know is I checked it out for my own curiosity, I don't like a now plowed driveway much more prefer a snowblower one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
P24D1 Power Train? is my newest Code.
Think Switching to Forward to Reverse to Fast in LOW 4WD. Trans kind of leaves you hanging out on the road and only experience this in 4 LOW.
This is my second year of plowing with a 2014 ecodiesel BigHorn, Meyer Homesteader plow setup. I just plow my two driveways and parking area. Nothing else. I just went out to start my truck to move it before the next storm and on comes the CEL. "P24D1" Google search shows this thread, one other with no replies and a technical service bulletin "Flash: 3.0L Powertrain Diagnostic And System Enhancements". The bulletin states this may be one of many codes that pops up incorrectly and the system software needs to be re-flashed to update it. The description for this code is "Particulate Matter Sensor Regeneration Incomplete". Of course it didn't actually try to do a regeneration. I think I would have noticed earlier today.

Nothing else seems to pop up through Google.

I wasn't using 4wd low. I have been running 4wd auto today (just touching up and pushing back a few snow banks to make room), and 4wd hi yesterday for the storm we had.

Anyone have thoughts of why this might be kicking on and what I should do about it? I can clear the code, but the technical bulletin makes it seem like a recall that I should take to the dealership.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The manual definitely says NOT to put a plow on. That was one of my biggest disappointments with this truck.

My biggest concern would be that if there was ANY kind of power train, front end or steering system issues that the dealership would void the warranty due to the plow setup.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts