RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time towing/hauling anything major. A load of bricks weighing ~ 3,000 lbs. Suspension made some weird noises when lowering the pallet on the bed.
345634.jpg

·
Registered
648 Posts
I guess if you made it where you're going and nothing is broken at the moment, then it's alright, but you're roughly 1000 lbs above max payload for a Ram 1/2 ton. Pretty sure that's not with your configuration either. Be safe

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What part of half-ton truck did you misinterpret to mean ton and a half?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yes. Candy Ass springs in the rear for the 'great ride' sacrifice. Much like the soft leaf springs in the 00 - 05 'soccer mom' Excursions. Most on here will suggest air bags...they would be right.

For me it is the Timbren 8K overload (passive) springs on this truck. My 7.3 does the heavy/dirty work...my 3.0 is the off road 'huntin' Queen'.

Suggest to understand the payload in the rear VS. pulling capacity...wish I took a picture of the "1 yard" of river rock in my F150...same look...

·
Super Moderator
3,775 Posts
The rear GAWR is 3900 lbs, without anything in the bed most of these trucks already have at least 2000 lbs on them. Putting 3000 lbs in the bed, your rear axle is overloaded by more than 1000 lbs. I wouldn't make it a habit of loading that much in the bed or your axle is not going to like you for very long.

·
Super Moderator
2,955 Posts
Raffid Thanks for showing us. Nobody is hating. Many of us have overloaded our trucks to some point. It actually looks pretty good considering. The air suspension must be working well as my coil springs would be a lot more compressed sans aftermarket air bags. The front looks a little elevated but not hateful considering. Quite sure you feel it driving though. Surprised you didn't have them set or push that pallet all the way to the cab. Much safer to drive, for handling stability, stopping, and dividing the weight between the axles instead of overloading the drive axle. That much weight on the drive axle puts you at risk. Last with that kind of weight the 275/55/20 XL load capacity tires that come on the new 5th gens handles the load better as do 265/60/20 E loads.

You could post it in the "Show your rig towing.." thread in the same Tow Haul section.

·
Registered
84 Posts
First time towing/hauling anything major. A load of bricks weighing ~ 3,000 lbs. Suspension made some weird noises when lowering the pallet on the bed.
View attachment 79592
My door sticker says 1640# CCC. With your weight, and whatever else was in the truck, you are near 100% overloaded. I concur with the two trip recommendation for future loads.
CanyonMan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments! It was a spur of the moment type thing and I confused "payload" with "towing capacity" (I'm clearly new to the towing/hauling world). I safely made it home approx. 4 miles and it did just fine driving. I was scared of the tires rubbing so I drove slow at around 25mph the whole way. I'll add some pictures of before and after for comparison. P.s. I don't have air suspension equipped.

·
Super Moderator
2,955 Posts
If that thing is not hard on the bump stops you may not actually have 3,000 pounds of brick. Did they give you any type of weight slip or is it just what someone told you?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If that thing is not hard on the bump stops you may not actually have 3,000 pounds of brick. Did they give you any type of weight slip or is it just what someone told you?
2,930 lbs according to the tag. Not sure if the pallet itself was included in that weight or not.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would with that amount of weight. Definitely a two tripper, put all the way to the front of the bed.

Good part is it was a short trip and you went slow. ( as long as there was no major hills! )

Back in the 80's I towed a mini excavator with my 1/2 ton Chevy about 15 miles ea. way and up a grade. Probably around 12k lbs. Tranny got pretty hot. ( young and stupid ) Within a year I had to rebuild the Tranny with only 40k miles on the truck. Clutches didn't like that weight!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back in the 80's I towed a mini excavator with my 1/2 ton Chevy about 15 miles ea. way and up a grade. Probably around 12k lbs. Tranny got pretty hot. ( young and stupid ) Within a year I had to rebuild the Tranny with only 40k miles on the truck. Clutches didn't like that weight!
That doesn't sound too fun! Definitely don't want to have to rebuild anything on my truck for a long time (hopefully).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts