RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
You leave out the best part?

After loading you picked up a couple passengers and took off. 80 mph down the interstate for 100 miles and then 40 more miles over a two lane pot-holed road. You needed them to help you unload at the job site. Right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You leave out the best part?

After loading you picked up a couple passengers and took off. 80 mph down the interstate for 100 miles and then 40 more miles over a two lane pot-holed road. You needed them to help you unload at the job site. Right?
You must've missed post #13 where I gave more info.. to quote myself, "I safely made it home approx. 4 miles and it did just fine driving. I was scared of the tires rubbing so I drove slow at around 25mph the whole way."
P.s. I was the only person in the truck during this trip.
Thanks for your feedback though!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just another brick in my wall of conviction that these trucks prefer to work hard and not suffer through life as grocery getters. Glad you and the truck are OK.

(However, I think I would have made a couple of trips, even with supplemental air bags on the baby.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for sharing. This is very informative for a new guy to towing/hauling myself. Good to know about GAWR.
Definitely an eye opener. According to the RAM website, the max payload for my truck is at 1,150 lbs.
I was almost at 3x that weight! Glad nothing happened. Won't be doing that again.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm surprised the tires held that up... to be honest. all the weight sits on the bumpstops which sits on the axle tube and it's the distance from the bump stop to the center of the wheel and strength of the axle tube that controls the longevity. the wheel bearings certainly didn't appreciate your miss-interpretation of the capacities lol. "can be done though".... good to know. the weight just destroys the bearing with the amount of heat you generate, same for the tires which flex insanely with that weight.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Rams can do much more than they "should". My last Ram, a 2005 , I had an extra rear leaf added. I used it to transport marine diesel motors. A 700hp Volvo with a marine gear weighed 3500 lbs. I had Rancho 9000 shocks cranked to 9 and crappy Goodyear HP tires (much worse than SRA's). I was stupid, but the Ram never complained! 1 rear tire blow out in a bad thunder storm, was about the only bad experience. I also hauled up to 16,000 lbs on a 5th wheel car hauler, towed weight. 276,000 hard miles, including towing logs out of the woods, I can tell you, Rams are tougher than a bag of hammers! Then there was all the trips to the drag strips, spraying a 100 shot of nitrous! Nothing ever broke! New owner told me that he finally had to replace a front wheel bearing at 285,000 miles!

·
Super Moderator
2,955 Posts
Friday night my daughter called they loaded 2,900 pounds of tile on a small trailer and it came apart. Dad to the rescue.

DF4743D4-5F65-409C-9106-961ADC18CCEC.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
21 - 30 of 30 Posts