RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13 Cherokee the voice recognition was a joke. 14 Grand Cherokee it sucked the same. 16 Eco Diesel it sucks as well. Buddies 18 Ram 2500 sucks as well. My son GMC 2017 awesome. My buddies last 2 Fords all worked well too. How many yrs can Chrysler suck this bad with voice recognition? Do they not use this junk when they test these things? Has the 21's voice command improved?? If not that's 8 yrs of stupidity. Brutal how yr after yr they let this stuff slide when we pay for it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
In my 2015 Ram 1500, the voice recognition works the best of any vehicle I’ve owned. The worst one ever is our 2017 Prius Prime. That car crazy bad voice recognition.

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,461 Posts
Maybe the magic year was '15 because it works well in mine.
Now if your talking about voice to text messaging when autocorrect decides it knows better than you 🤬 When I catch that autocorrect fella it's not gonna be very cordial.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
maybe it's because we put the wrong accent on the wrong syllable. We have an extra U in our speech, and "eh" comes out as "a". :)
Well said my friend.....👏. Sometimes we tend to overlook our regional accent's i'm thinkin' 🤔the engineers have to love the thought of:

New York: Bronx accent
Montreal: Sacre Bleu
Texas: A bit of a 'twang'
Nova Scotia: Mid-Atlantic tone
British Columbia: 'embracing the inner brits' as they've shared w/me
Dragon Diesel: Must be an Ontario thing...😆 just kiddin DD

The list goes on but one thing is certain Uconnect recognised as one of the best its a global platform but nothing is perfect somewhere there is an engineer who is in his/her 20's but looks closer to 50 I wouldn't want their job.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well said my friend.....👏. Sometimes we tend to overlook our regional accent's i'm thinkin' 🤔the engineers have to love the thought of:

New York: Bronx accent
Montreal: Sacre Bleu
Texas: A bit of a 'twang'
Nova Scotia: Mid-Atlantic tone
British Columbia: 'embracing the inner brits' as they've shared w/me
Dragon Diesel: Must be an Ontario thing...😆 just kiddin DD

The list goes on but one thing is certain Uconnect recognised as one of the best its a global platform but nothing is perfect somewhere there is an engineer who is in his/her 20's but looks closer to 50 I wouldn't want their job.
Hi: TexasJoe... I may not remember the sound of your voice... but I'll never forget your face.
When travelling south I don't have an accent till I reach at least Detroit!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I rarely use the true handsfree that came in my 2015 ram. Honestly, I'm guilty of just picking up the phone and dialing. The handsfree setup takes way too long to respond for a vehicle built in the 21st century. And the voice recognition just plain sucks. If I say "call Bob smith" as clearly as possible, the truck will take a honest 5 to 10 seconds to think about what I said, present on the screen to me at least 5 options of names that might sound like bob smith, or sometimes not even close. It says "say the number of the person you would like to call" and if I say a number, it's a 50/50 chance it hears that number correctly, either way it takes several seconds for it to think about what number I want.

Often, I've gone through this whole process, the truck starts calling the wrong person, I've pissed away 30 seconds of my life, and getting more irritable by the moment. I have to pick up my phone to hang up the call since the buttons on the steering wheel or radio won't hang up the call fast enough. As I'm navigating my phone screen to find the right person I want to call, the other person is now calling me back to say "hey, I missed your call, my phone just started ringing but hung up" and I have to explain to them it was a wrong call. Then hang up and call the right person from my handheld.

All the while I'm operating a 6800lb projectile at 70mph somewhere and now not in a great mood over this whole debacle of trying to place a call the "legal" way.

Tell me again how this handsfree technology is supposed to improve safety.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,306 Posts
My 17 has better voice recognition compared to most other things I've used. Just wish that it would have come with Apple play. My biggest issue is that my company disabled the phone book transfer on my work phone. If I want to call anyone from work, I'm supposed to be completely safe and pull over to a stop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts