RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read and believe. I would not have done it but by accident.

Been working on the boat and took it out today for a test of the motors I serviced. All was fine. Caught some nice fish on the test run, docked, brought my truck over to unload and met the dockmaster driving up on the travel lift. I wanted him to be sure of my intentions to have the boat fueled. It holds about $900 worth of fuel and I want no misunderstanding. Got out of the truck, told him to fill it tonight or tomorrow morning, got back into the running truck and turned the "key" thing to start the engine.

Did not hear or realize the engine was still running. On my old Cummins I would have a serious grinding as the starter rammed into the moving flywheel. Did it more often than I want to say.

Nothing.:eek:

That's what happened. Nothing. Must be some kind of electronic lockout to the starter. Ram saved my day.

FYI. Had to stop at a fuel stop to get gasoline to fill multiple boat fuel filters on replacement. Diesel was right there but I only had close to 300 or so miles on the truck. Fueled anyhow and it took 12.1 gallons for 24 mpg. The lie-o-meter read 24.1 mpg. Fuel gauge was above 1/2 so it's pretty accurate also. All that running was around the house with lots and lots of demo idling, testing and traffic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Enjoying your posts old fellow...LOL

Jim
Wow if capt animal really is getting 24 mpg and with quick trips and such that will make me really pleased.i can't wait for my truck to come it went into inspection today so maybe one more month it should be here!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Captain, envious of your posts and your truck... NOT ENVIOUS of the fuel bill for the boat !! LOL....

Keep the posts coming on the fuel economy. 24.1 combined is really good..... and I don't want to start a war of words about the 5.9 or Duramax, I had both, but suffice to say, this little ram V6 will work for me pal... and I would expect that as there were times I left the Duramax or Cummins sit in the driveway because of fuel cost.... with the Ram, you can drive it anywhere, commute in the thing, and it gets as good economy as any mid size SUV...... so I expect to drive it more !!

Marsman

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am jealous about the fishing. the first day of fishing season here is the first of april, I can usually float around in a boat the first weekend, We have had a tough winter so I went out to the lake this past weekend to check things out, there is still 2+ feet of ice on it. :confused:
my 2012 hemi won't try to start if it is running either ( not that I ever made that mistake) :eek:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Capt....

That's because your new truck has a "Tip start" system. Basically... everything about the truck is computer controlled. (Even the horn) So... when you ask it to do something... like start the engine... the key isn't a direct wire anymore... and the computer knew that it was already running. Oh... and if you try to do a quick double honk, to get someone's attention.... it won't happen because of the computer.

Anyway... the tip start is kind of cool. Next time you get in the truck... just turn the key to start for a second, and let go. The computer will continue to crank the engine, and make it start. Even if the glow plugs need to run.

Boats are a good time. I grew up in SoCal, and water was a part of life. Now in Pitt... it KILLS ME to have my toys wrapped up for the winter. I only hold 55 galons in my boat... so my fill-ups are only $190. (LOL) Oh... and at full throttle, I can get a whopping 1.89 mpg !!!

(I wish my truck would show up)

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must mean "Tipsy" Start! Sometimes I wonder.

Ironically I tried to double tap the horn at a friend and it did not work correctly. Wondered and then forgot about it until now.

200 gallons. At the marina it's $4.95 a gallon. That's just one reason my boats have all been called "10 Percent More".

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

200 gallons. At the marina it's $4.95 a gallon. That's just one reason my boats have all been called "10 Percent More".

I try not to buy at the marinas. I trailer most of the time... so I just fill up at the auto pumps, and I can get it at $3.50. (Should go down this summer) We've had a line of water toys under the name "Scurvy Dog". My girls think it's funny since we have a "Pirate Ship". :) (Sporting a jolly roger on both sides)

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That SeaDoo is interesting. Boated and fished all over the Allegheny River for decades. Used to belong to the Golden Triangle Water Ski Club and kept a boat(another 10%More) at Outboard Haven in Oakmont.

I have a trailer for my boat but only used it once. Think the boat on the trailer would be over the 1500's load limit but certainly dooable. Stupid to haul 40 five-gallon cans of fuel and hand-fuel this boat. Can you imagine the logistics of cans, travel, buying, filling then lifting and pouring it all in? Then you would have to deal with the debilitating affects of ethanol in your fuel on the water. DISASTER beyond even my levels of stupidity.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had 325 miles filled up and it took 13.1 for 24.8 in combined driving. I reset the fuel calculator aka lieometer on Monday and it is saying 25.1 driving to and from work and taking the boy to baseball. I could not be more pleased.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a post checking fuel mileage. Add to it. Your information seems to fit right in with other early reports.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would suggest that some people start to use Fuelly.com to track your mileage. They have apps for phones that make it super simple to enter the info while at the pump and it gives you all kinds of useful information and trends.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Discovered today that I reached for the gear shifter while getting ready to start the car. Just wondering if I thought I was turning the shifter knob and ended up turning that key fob thing. They both turn in the same direction to start or go and are right next to each other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts