RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But we will probably end up with one.

About me: I'm a professional truck driver, 18-wheeler. Although I used to be COMPLETELY independent, I am now "leased to" an oilfield company here in south Louisiiana. My wife presently drives a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn for the same company and has over 120,000 miles on it. So at a minimum of 60K per year on her truck, it looks like it will make economic sense for us to get the diesel--if the claimed mpg turns out to be true. She's presently getting 19-20 with the Hemi/6-speed automatic.

And can you guys come up with a different abbreviation? Being old, fat, and out of shape I cringe when I see "ED!"

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and we did drive one. Our dealer received one, but it was pretty maxed out. Longhorn Laramie 4X4 for $53,000. Beings that we paid $25,000 for our present truck brand new, we couldn't eeeeeeeeeeeeven justify that kind of price. With the amount of miles we put on a truck it will be pretty well worthless in no time, so we're gonna go with a minimum of options. The Big Horn is sufficient, but the wife may like to upgrade to Navigation. Other than that, we'll see.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ED.. LOL ya i get it.. dont have it (whew)

So, $53 is asking you should be able to get what your looking for at under $38k. Get the nav.... its nice..

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wife likes to get on the manufacturer's site, and she says that she's been able to get everything she wants--including air ride--down to about $32K.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
That's what I paid for a 4 x 4 version. You could get "fancy" and come in at that with a two-wheel drive one.

She is getting way better fuel mileage with her Hemi than most all others I ever knew, know or heard about. She must have a secret. The Ecodiesel (ED) will do better.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost all of her miles are highway, that helps! We picked up 1 mpg immediately upon switching to synthetic oil. But then we lost that when we got new tires; I don't know if that's because of the extra tread or if the new tires just have more rolling resistance than the originals.

We're looking at the Eco Diesel with air ride for sure. Will probably "invest" in the electric steps just to keep the drag down even more. In case you haven't figured it out, fuel mileage is VERY important to us in our line of work.

But we are the only ones in the oilfield who think this way (it seems like). Everybody else wants more horsepower, more noise, more smoke. I prefer to treat my business as a business so that I can have more money for the things that I enjoy in life. That's why I'm here! I'll be looking for every possible tip to get the best fuel mileage and reliability.

I appreciate you guys!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Good choice on the air ride in that case, that will get you 1.5mpg's + also the wheel to wheel side steps are supposed to bump you another .5mpg so ram says....

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Be certain you are getting the 3.55 rear-end gear ratio if fuel mileage is your forte.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good choice on the air ride in that case, that will get you 1.5mpg's + also the wheel to wheel side steps are supposed to bump you another .5mpg so ram says....
Do you think the electric step might do even better? I know they are about $1200 and the wheel to wheel should be much cheaper than that.

Be certain you are getting the 3.55 rear-end gear ratio if fuel mileage is your forte.
That's the plan!

You know, it's hard to find people who approach this as a business. I tried to get information over on the RamForumz, but couldn't get anything useful. When I would ask if the exhaust modifications helped the mpg, the universal response would be, "I don't know; I can't keep my foot out of it 'cause it sounds so good!!!" And they even have a fuel mileage subforum!

By the way Mal, the first several times I read your name, I read it as "Capt. Animal."

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I think the wheel to wheel will get u a bit better, looks wise go for the electric mpg wise go foor side to side...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've seen people start to use 3D in their posts to avoid the ED!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the side to side will get u a bit better, looks wise go for the electric mpg wise go foor side to side...
Thanks! I'm gonna read that as "wheel to wheel."

I've seen people start to use 3D in their posts to avoid the ED!
Inorite? Even when we don't have a problem, I find that as I age every little thing upsets me. Especially health-wise. I mean, every little pain, "On no! It's cancer!" Or some such other nonsense. I sure liked it better when I was young and invincible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts