RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done it multiple times in drive as I'm so used to a manual you can shift with the engine off. If you shut off in drive you can't get the key out or shift to park. I have had to restart the truck each time to get the key out. Must turn off in park. Bummer.

Another thing to not do is forget to have your foot on the brake when starting or shifting in gear. Not sure how I did it but I got the darn thing in drive with my foot off the brake inside the garage. Smacked it into the front of the garage. Saw no damage but seemed to hit firmly. Don't tell my wife.

This darn automatic transmission and that turning gear selector has frustrated my normal driving patterns.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another learning experience with this transmission today. Tried to push the truck a foot or so. Just put it in neutral and push, right?

Wrong.

You cannot get the darn thing in neutral without starting the engine.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Another learning experience with this transmission today. Tried to push the truck a foot or so. Just put it in neutral and push, right?

Wrong.

You cannot get the darn thing in neutral without starting the engine.
There's a manual release on the parking prawl. It's a lever under a bottom dash panel.

Reactions: mitchmaclean

·
Registered
241 Posts
You don't have to restart it you just have to turn it to the auxiliary power position (at least on mine). I have done it numerous times also. I have the bigger screen in the middle of the dash and when I do this it states that it is auto correcting the shift selector (or something like that). I do know what you mean coming from a manual also. I just about have it down now.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I'm heading back out to see. That "manual release" would be nice to find as I have often pushed my truck a little bit back and forth to do things in the garage.

As for using the accessory position, I tried. No go. Even sat in the truck, as I think there might be something with seat pressure, pushed on that darn brake and tried to move the shift knob

No. I had to start the engine. At that point mamma didn't make "no" dummy. I drove the thing the foot I wanted rather than shut it off in neutral and push. Of course, if I had shut it off in neutral I wonder if the thing would have made a conscious decision to really get into me and go into park automatically?

All seriousness aside, I am longing for my old truck back because of this transmission thing. Going to have to get over it as the new buyer in Kentucky just contacted me to tell me how much he loved my Cummins.

Learning to hate that guy.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

"This is how you do it". That's not a song but the facts. Amazing how much you can learn if you actually read the owners manual. Wish I had done that before buying.

You can push it. No amount of keys, turning the knob, pushing on the brake etc. will work. A screwdriver and scratching the dash panel above the parking brake works. Take that panel off (bummer), trip a release with the screwdriver you used to pop the panel, then pull the cord and lever out. Now you can push the truck.

Reverse the procedure and you get back into its automatic park position. No need for a key.

Also, if you try to turn off the engine in neutral, it does that same auto-correct and puts you back into park. Then you need to fuss around with the brake, starter etc. to get the key out. No more editorial comment. Time to ride an old Harley and get back to some driving sanity.

·
Registered
592 Posts
So you can start the truck with it in gear? Auto or Stick? 2WD... 4WD... HI or LOW LOCK? I could see this being a big plus while you're offroad.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't think you can start it in gear. Never tried. That lever was to get it OUT of gear so it can be pushed or towed without running the engine. Otherwise, unless the engine is on, you cannot get the truck OUT of gear.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I love everything about my truck so far, but the one thing I HATE is that rotary gear selector! Give me a big ol shift lever anyday. I also dread the day where that transmission shift actuator blows and my truck is stuck in gear.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts

"This is how you do it". That's not a song but the facts. Amazing how much you can learn if you actually read the owners manual. Wish I had done that before buying.

You can push it. No amount of keys, turning the knob, pushing on the brake etc. will work. A screwdriver and scratching the dash panel above the parking brake works. Take that panel off (bummer), trip a release with the screwdriver you used to pop the panel, then pull the cord and lever out. Now you can push the truck.

Reverse the procedure and you get back into its automatic park position. No need for a key.

Also, if you try to turn off the engine in neutral, it does that same auto-correct and puts you back into park. Then you need to fuss around with the brake, starter etc. to get the key out. No more editorial comment. Time to ride an old Harley and get back to some driving sanity.
Hope that 'old' harley is old enough to have the shift lever at the side of the gas tank!:)

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have many like that. Grew up riding foot clutch and hand shift with ignition advance/retard on one lever and throttle on the other.

I have some English bikes that shift with the right root and brake left. Indians clutch left but reverse the normal Harley/world pattern for the pedal and the shifter is on the right side of the tank.

Now or really trick I have a 1937 BMW that has a shifter lever for the right hand on the right side of the transmission behind were you sit. It is where most kick starters are located. The kick starter is on the left side. With throttle also on the right you are forced to take your hand off the throttle, reach back and hopefully find a gear, then get back on the throttle Levers pivot at the END of the bars so they actually swing out away from the bike at that point.

In a panic we go to what we are used to. When I approach a stop light I slam my left foot into the floor of this Eco. and reach for the floor shifter to downshift. On motorcycles, with all the varied control possibilities, I just crash.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Never had to do restart to switch to start to get out of drive into park, bet I do it 25% of the time I shut engine off. Maybe because my tranny is German made not the clone used now. Other then that I love the little knob on the dash, it doesn't take up console space. Trucks only hiccup was caused by me dumping water in fuel tank. Starts easy, great fuel economy, lots of power, and after 20,000 miles I still love it. Only thing close to it would be another E Class MB diesel.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Capt- In my youth I had an Indian 45 flat head ex-Army courier motorcycle that had the bass-ackwards clutch you describe as well as hand shift on the right (3 gears and lots of neutrals LOL) throttle on the left hand grip and spake advance on the right. I was told the left hand throttle allowed mostly right handed soldiers to fire their handguns while riding the bike.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crashed a beautiful 1936 "upside down" Indian 4. Used to riding Harley Davidson. Ignition on left grip, throttle on right, clutch on left foot where you push in to activate, shifter on left of tank and throttle on right. The Indian had it like you said - throttle on left, ignition on right, shifter on right clutch on left foot but let up to engage ( or rock back). I lost it hit a curb and spent over a grand to fix the paint damage I did. AT the time I had an Indian 30-50 and still did stupid cause I rarely rode that bike.

Run my current BSA single into a jagger bush hitting the right shifter thinking it was a brake. My S8 Sunbeam and Triumphs, Royal Enfields, AJS etc all were "backwards" and I just do not pattern learning well. Standardization is nice, unless it's a flat track racer going left.

Still think the dial shifter is junk.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
My first bike was a '41 Indian 80 incher, but the throttle was on the right side and he suicide clutch was exactly that.... I then had two 1950s Triumph 30-50s and a BSA, followed by too many Hondas to count. After I discovered airplanes I pretty much lost interest in bikes, though a V-Max is still on my shopping list.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dtyree...

Welcome- 1st post.

There are old posts around where many speak of doing knob turning. some get radio, fans, and whatever other thing is down there near that silly shifter knob. You are not the only one to mess up.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Almost put the truck in r while trying to lower the radio volume. Knob moved but I put it back into d super fast. Trans didn't have time to shift. Scary thing is, it allowed it while I was moving.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
No disrespect meant towards anyone here, but I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's an electronic shifter knob vs. the old linkage style shifter. It is the wave of the future, whether it's in the form of a button or a knob. I can count on one hand the amount of times I needed my automatic tranny in "N" while the engine was off. Yes, I have turned up the radio volume or fan speed, thinking it was the shifter knob. I even twisted the shifter knob thinking I had the fan knob while driving. The knob ended up on "R" & the dash dinged & said something about safety override to "N" - no harm done. That could have been bad, but thankfully, an engineer thought about me making dumb mistakes:cool:

Anomoly,
I find the V-Max a fascinating & highly sophisticated machine. It's too sport-bike-style for me, but I respect it. While my Victory was in the shop getting reprogrammed, they gave me a Star Stratoliner to ride. That 1900 air cooled v-twin has serious grunt. I decided that if they couldn't fix my Victory, I was going to trade for the Star. I liked it THAT much! I had several HD fans ask me about my Harley, only to be duped that it was in fact a Star motorcycle & not a HD.

·
Administrator
8,836 Posts
Almost put the truck in r while trying to lower the radio volume. Knob moved but I put it back into d super fast. Trans didn't have time to shift. Scary thing is, it allowed it while I was moving.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
The knob will move, but it won't shift. Still scary though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts