RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
May we assume that your needs have changed for towing or payload capacity since you bought the ED?
Nope. I bought a lemon. The ED doesn't tow as well as I like, but the mileage was too good to pass up. I drive a lot more than I tow, so it was a trade off I willingly accepted. 77 days out of service later, and I am just over it.
I have had two Cummins in the past, and would prefer to go back that route. I don't care for gas motors, they all have problematic cylinder deactivation issues that cause issues down the road...and the fuel mileage sucks. Cummins mileage is at least acceptable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I out 114,000 on mine. No major issues and loved it. Now I had the EGR tuned off along with the DEF system.

Read around and see what you can find out about doing the same to the one you might buy. It really does minimize some potential areas having issues to some.
it seems like most of the problems are from the exhaust system then? Some people are claiming that the AEM “upgrade” was fine while others say it’s BS. Some say get an aftermarket tune. You’re saying disable the EGR system altogether? Do you live in a place that doesn’t check emissions? Just trying to figure out all these acronyms! 😂

·
Registered
320 Posts
My 2014 runs great. It's fully deleted now though so I'm in a different boat than many. I have a 6" lift with 35" tires. I have bilstein 5100s adjusted for towing, and just added timbergrove airbags and its rock solid with 8k behind me. I get 19-23mpg average in the winter and 22-27+ mpg in the summer depending on the trip, except when towing, which is around 13-18mpg depending on which trailer I have behind me. I rent camp trailers and deliver them. During the busy season I'm towing 5-7 days a week.

My truck had a coolant leak in the turbo housing that appeared to be a heat fracture ( dealer assumed it was heat/stress caused) about 30k miles ago, which was about 10k miles after I bought it. The previous owner didn't tune, or maintain pretty much anything other than oil changes. Ram Dealer replaced turbo and associated pipes/gaskets (also had an exhaust leak by turbo). They also replaced my intake manifold and egr because the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree when they flashed the AEMs update. They found almost a half inch of sludge in the intake and the swirl valves and egr valve had seized.

The technician, who I know personally because he worked with him at this dealer about 13 yrs ago, pulled me aside and showed me the intake manifold they took off and said "I'm not supposed to say anything, so this is 100% off the record, but if you want this truck to last like a diesel is supposed to, you might want to look into some deletes." He then showed me his 2015 fully deleted ecodiesel with 180k on it. Showed me his oil and it wasn't black. He had the gde hot tune with the off-road option. That Convinced me enough to follow his route and delete my truck.

I've had no issues since deleting other than a small coolant leak on my water pump bypass tube that took me 10 minutes to fix. Runs strong. Hoping to top Vern some day in miles. :) (I can dream, right?)

Sorry, that was way longer than expected...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
They aren't bad trucks, but their fuel mileage is no better than a 2500 with a Cummins. And I don't think the price difference is enough to justify not getting a 2500...but that's just me.
I am considering an F250, the Nissan and a ram 2500 to replace my Ecodiesel.
Careful on the XD. The 5.0 is ok,but nissan from what I have read is short on technicians to support it. I would suggest the gas version, and this year you get a 9 spd. Also, with a diesel, the payload is horrible.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
873 Posts
I bought my 2017 Tradesman Eco brand new April of 2018 for $30,000 out the door price. There are some great deals if one is inclined to snoop around and travel.

I tuned at 5,000 miles and haven't looked back. At over 34,000 miles, no issues or coolant use, knock on wood.

After almost two years, it is obvious what turning off the EGR does for this engine, or should I say, does not do when tuned, turn your oil jet black. We've done a lot of towing, 20,000 miles of nice hot engine, my last fall's oil report was very clean.

I would be hesitant buying a used Ecodiesel that HASN'T been tuned. Untuned equals a gunked up engine from all the photos I've seen in regards to the plastic intake manifold and the swirl valves that get stuck. It depends so much on how the previous owner used the truck.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Careful on the XD. The 5.0 is ok,but nissan from what I have read is short on technicians to support it. I would suggest the gas version, and this year you get a 9 spd. Also, with a diesel, the payload is horrible.
I am with you there. Kind of like FCA doesn't have a lot of diesel technicians, which has bit me in the butt with the ED. And Nissan may not be around a whole lot longer anyway.

I don't think the XD Cummins really has any benefit over an F250 or Ram 2500. Same fuel mileage, less capacity, less capability. The one I drove wasn't bad to drive, but the Ram's interior was much better. And I wouldn't buy an XD with the gas motor. I would just go with an F150 or Ram 1500 at that point.

Most likely I am going to end up with a 2015 or so Ram 2500 Cummins, or a similar year F250 Powestroke. I can't stand the GM trucks, and I don't find the Tundra seats even remotely comfortable. Toyota's and I do not agree, apparently.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nope. I bought a lemon. The ED doesn't tow as well as I like, but the mileage was too good to pass up. I drive a lot more than I tow, so it was a trade off I willingly accepted. 77 days out of service later, and I am just over it.
I have had two Cummins in the past, and would prefer to go back that route. I don't care for gas motors, they all have problematic cylinder deactivation issues that cause issues down the road...and the fuel mileage sucks. Cummins mileage is at least acceptable.
Why not a F150 with the 3.5 EB and Max Tow? You can then comfortably tow over 10,000 pounds, there's no cylinder deactivation, and with the 10 speed you'll average OK mpg's while not towing/hauling..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought my 2017 crew cab, 4x4 Bighorn ED new in Jan of 2018. Here's what I got:

-My truck came pre-tuned with the garbage force fed EPA tune right from the sales floor. Unlike 14-16 owners, I did't get a choice ad didn't realize that until late last year.

-The thing is COLD BLOODED. Yes, I get the "bla, bla, bla...all diesels are" stuff but I can tell you that also using 2 different F250 diesels and a Chevy HD diesel...that little 3.0L is extremely temperamental in the cold and takes a very long time to get up to operating temps. It easily takes 2/3 of my 22mi commute to get the operating temp at/above 200F in the winter. You can forget about having much heat before that point. Mine has heated seats/steering wheel and it is very helpful.

-When cold, the truck is a dog...and by "cold" I mean start up and go. Summer, winter, doesn't matter. I've actually considered taking a video of mine attempting to pull out in traffic when cold, it's downright dangerous and I've literally had to re-think how I drive. If I don't have a massive car gap in traffic, I don't pull out, I'll get hit. I've lost count at the times my passengers have noted how much it bogs when cold. People can claim this is false all they like...so here's a video of a '16 ED owner telling TFL about it's post EPA tun lag...and letting them drive it for themselves:

-Some of us do not get anywhere near the MPG other's see. Typically, winter MPG averages out at high 18, low 19 mpg. Summer is 20-21 tops. For some reason, my truck despises cruising at 75 on the highway, will get a lousy 20 or so mpg when doing this. Driving up to the 65mph mark? It will get near 30 but living in a state where the limit is 70, driving along at 65 isn't a wise move, especially in traffic.

-There's the open ended EGR recall issue, I can't wait to see what stupid idea FCA comes up with to fix that mess, all their other solutions thus far have been brilliant.

-Many happy ED owners have removed and/or tuned the things. Having a $52K truck with 75K miles left on the warranty, I will not attempt such a thing. Now, the EPA has made tuning them even more difficult. people keep mentioning GDE...that I'm aware of, they dead in the water now. You shouldn't have to remove a ton of equipment and re tune a vehicle to get it to perform how FCA initially claimed it would bone stock.

-My truck blew it's motor last Fri at 27K miles. I've had all routine maint done at the purchasing dealership, I've never towed a thing with it, I have no mods on it. I was cruising down the road at just under 60 when it happened out of nowhere and with no warning.

In other words...taking the "would I recommend this to a friend or family" test...there's no way in hell I'd ever recommend ANYONE get one of these lemons,ever.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry to hear all the problems you have had with your truck,
if it was mine I'd be quite upset also.
One of the things that got my attention was the long warmup, did you using the winter cover.
As far as the bog i have never noticed much, but I can't get after mine hard pulling out on to a road from a stop or it will just smoke the rear tires for a bit then the traction control starts cutting back the throttle and throwing the brakes on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry to hear all the problems you have had with your truck,
if it was mine I'd be quite upset also.
One of the things that got my attention was the long warmup, did you using the winter cover.
As far as the bog i have never noticed much, but I can't get after mine hard pulling out on to a road from a stop or it will just smoke the rear tires for a bit then the traction control starts cutting back the throttle and throwing the brakes on.
Yes, I've used the OEM grille cover ever since I bought it (as well as a block heater). On the rare occasion that I don't use it, if the outside temp is at or below freezing, over the time of my 30 min commute (75% of which is highway speeds), the thing won't even reach a 200F operating temp.

Honestly, I can deal with the MPG, I can even deal with it being super cold blooded...it's the insane lagging that is something I consider dangerous. With my truck, it is just awful and always has been. At first, talking to 14-16 owners, few expressed the same things I was seeing...riiight up until that AEM flash...then:

I'm not the only one with this issue, not by a long shot. I tried talking to the dealership over the years but am always met with "Yeah....that turbo lag will get you". Sadly, this isn't turbo lag, it's complete lack of throttle response. Perhaps I should film it...if I ever get it back in one piece.

It's my opinion that rather than buy back a product that can't properly make emission standards, FCA released a "fix" that has pulled the balls right off the truck. This infuriates me to no end.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes, I've used the OEM grille cover ever since I bought it (as well as a block heater). On the rare occasion that I don't use it, if the outside temp is at or below freezing, over the time of my 30 min commute (75% of which is highway speeds), the thing won't even reach a 200F operating temp.

Honestly, I can deal with the MPG, I can even deal with it being super cold blooded...it's the insane lagging that is something I consider dangerous. With my truck, it is just awful and always has been. At first, talking to 14-16 owners, few expressed the same things I was seeing...riiight up until that AEM flash...then:

I'm not the only one with this issue, not by a long shot. I tried talking to the dealership over the years but am always met with "Yeah....that turbo lag will get you". Sadly, this isn't turbo lag, it's complete lack of throttle response. Perhaps I should film it...if I ever get it back in one piece.

It's my opinion that rather than buy back a product that can't properly make emission standards, FCA released a "fix" that has pulled the balls right off the truck. This infuriates me to no end.
All of your issues would have been solved from tuning it. If you were so worried about your warranty you could have kept a spare stock ECU.

My truck warmed up very fast due to the high idle built into the tune. Zero lag and much better performance. Clean oil and I drove it hard, didn't baby it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I bought my 2017 crew cab, 4x4 Bighorn ED new in Jan of 2018. Here's what I got:

-My truck came pre-tuned with the garbage force fed EPA tune right from the sales floor. Unlike 14-16 owners, I did't get a choice ad didn't realize that until late last year.

-The thing is COLD BLOODED. Yes, I get the "bla, bla, bla...all diesels are" stuff but I can tell you that also using 2 different F250 diesels and a Chevy HD diesel...that little 3.0L is extremely temperamental in the cold and takes a very long time to get up to operating temps. It easily takes 2/3 of my 22mi commute to get the operating temp at/above 200F in the winter. You can forget about having much heat before that point. Mine has heated seats/steering wheel and it is very helpful.

-When cold, the truck is a dog...and by "cold" I mean start up and go. Summer, winter, doesn't matter. I've actually considered taking a video of mine attempting to pull out in traffic when cold, it's downright dangerous and I've literally had to re-think how I drive. If I don't have a massive car gap in traffic, I don't pull out, I'll get hit. I've lost count at the times my passengers have noted how much it bogs when cold. People can claim this is false all they like...so here's a video of a '16 ED owner telling TFL about it's post EPA tun lag...and letting them drive it for themselves:

-Some of us do not get anywhere near the MPG other's see. Typically, winter MPG averages out at high 18, low 19 mpg. Summer is 20-21 tops. For some reason, my truck despises cruising at 75 on the highway, will get a lousy 20 or so mpg when doing this. Driving up to the 65mph mark? It will get near 30 but living in a state where the limit is 70, driving along at 65 isn't a wise move, especially in traffic.

-There's the open ended EGR recall issue, I can't wait to see what stupid idea FCA comes up with to fix that mess, all their other solutions thus far have been brilliant.

-Many happy ED owners have removed and/or tuned the things. Having a $52K truck with 75K miles left on the warranty, I will not attempt such a thing. Now, the EPA has made tuning them even more difficult. people keep mentioning GDE...that I'm aware of, they dead in the water now. You shouldn't have to remove a ton of equipment and re tune a vehicle to get it to perform how FCA initially claimed it would bone stock.

-My truck blew it's motor last Fri at 27K miles. I've had all routine maint done at the purchasing dealership, I've never towed a thing with it, I have no mods on it. I was cruising down the road at just under 60 when it happened out of nowhere and with no warning.

In other words...taking the "would I recommend this to a friend or family" test...there's no way in hell I'd ever recommend ANYONE get one of these lemons,ever.
I haven't had all these problems. I warm up my truck even during the summer at least a couple minutes and use the block heater below 40F at night for at least 30 minutes but generally 2 hours. Ol' farmer in me. I also drive like grandpa and the locals are finally getting the hint that I just don't give a . However, I agree with you on MPG. I don't get these MPG numbers everyone else tosses up but I get it that is all corporate BS. I drive to work mostly (12.5 miles) and its so cold here during the winter. However, I tow a 5k RV trailer a few times a year (~2k miles or so) and I get about 10 MPG. Sometimes I crack 11 MPG. I really gramp it up when towing. If I drive on a 55 MPH highway and keep it under 60 MPH ... I get up to 27 MPG with my butt in the seat and the family sitting around milking me for all I'm worth. My long term average is 20 MPG including all towing and cold/hot weather situations. Full up _ me over the coals. By the way, I bought the truck used at 71k miles about a week after it got a new engine. Should have walked away right then and there. A 6.0L Ford is more reliable.

Edit: By the way, screw tunes. If I have to buy a $1k tune to fix FCA/EPA/DOJ/EcoNut-jobs/CARB errors ... they can just go __ themselves.

However, in my estimation ... FCA can go _ itself. I just test drove a Titan XD and have been reading up on it. Wish I had waited 2 more years and saved up the money I spent on this truck. There are two 2019s sitting on the local dealership lot and Nissan is knocking $7750 off both and the dealership is kicking in another $2900. You want it? I'll deliver it to you as your personal driver and I'll wash and wax in upon arrival for free. Just buy me a plane ticket home. I test drove it last weekend. Nice truck. More truck than SUV whereas the RAM is more SUV than truck but less SUV than a SUV. That make sense? You can hear the Cummins more and the transmission shifts more "harshly" than the RAM tranny. Might be the transmission waan't fully warmed up. I will give RAM engineers one thing, they are pretty good and transmission tuning. Web-bros say the average fuel mileage is about 16 mpg overall numbers on Fuelly. My guess would be 12 MPG winter, 8-9 MPG towing, 18-20 Highway. It would be a hit but the MPG advantage of the Eco-dump just isn't worth working out an escape plan with my family in case the EGR decides to try and kill us.

Anyway, for $45k (I bet you could get them down another $2k) you can have a Titan XD. Remember ... I'll deliver it to you for the price of a plane ticket.

·
Registered
98 Posts
All of your issues would have been solved from tuning it. If you were so worried about your warranty you could have kept a spare stock ECU.

My truck warmed up very fast due to the high idle built into the tune. Zero lag and much better performance. Clean oil and I drove it hard, didn't baby it.
I get what you're saying...but you should really listen to yourself say it.

Spend a good amount of $$ (especially if you want a stock ECM to have to swap before dealership visits), just to make thing not run like trash and/or blow and engine.This isn't acceptable, in any way. If a person wants to buy another ECM and risk voiding the warranty for performance gains, I have no beef with that. Telling someone they should pay that $$ and take a risk just so the thing won't be a complete trash-bag is a sad reality.

This isn't some 1995 2500 ram that I bought for $8500 and want to see what I can do with it, it was a brand new and very expensive daily driver. You shouldn't have to tune a vehicle to make it not grenade.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I get what you're saying...but you should really listen to yourself say it.

Spend a good amount of $$ (especially if you want a stock ECM to have to swap before dealership visits), just to make thing not run like trash and/or blow and engine.This isn't acceptable, in any way. If a person wants to buy another ECM and risk voiding the warranty for performance gains, I have no beef with that. Telling someone they should pay that $$ and take a risk just so the thing won't be a complete trash-bag is a sad reality.

This isn't some 1995 2500 ram that I bought for $8500 and want to see what I can do with it, it was a brand new and very expensive daily driver. You shouldn't have to tune a vehicle to make it not grenade.
I'm not saying it's a good scenario, my point is a lot of people are very upside down value wise with their ED's and it's a good option to at least like/keep your truck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've had better... namely a 2006 CCSB Duramax. But for what I use it for 80% of the time, it works pretty good. I say that after I got a GDE ECM. Before tune, I was thinking of deleting. Now if I can just find an ECM for my JGC...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,
I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2016 ED Bighorn. Test drove it yesterday and really liked the truck, especially the ride quality. Came here to see what’s up and am pretty shocked at the level of problems found here. My question, is anyone happy with their ED? After reading through this forum, it seems that they’re rife with problems. Should I shop for another truck instead?
Hello... I was in the same situation last week but I decided to walk away from the deal after finding this forum and reading about all the problems.. I think about the Hemi but really want the diesel lol.. I drive for a living and see over a 100 of these on the local roads and highways, never heard anyone complaining about them if I stopped to chat with an owner at the local Home Depot... they seem to sell quickly at the Chrysler dealers too... Hard to believe it’s such an issue. If I buy, I will opt for the gold plan warranty, another 5yr/100,000kms almost bumper to bumper. I know a lot of guys talk about getting the tune and getting rid of def altogether but here in Canada, this shop wants $3500.... seems kinda crazy to spend $35,000 on a truck, then add taxes, extra warranty at another $5000, then extra for the Tune.. then there’s the interest lol.., if I were buying a used 2014 with high mileage and $15,000 cheaper, I’d skip warranty altogether and just go for the $3500 tune, this way, no problems from the day I got the truck👍👍

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hello... I was in the same situation last week but I decided to walk away from the deal after finding this forum and reading about all the problems.. I think about the Hemi but really want the diesel lol.. I drive for a living and see over a 100 of these on the local roads and highways, never heard anyone complaining about them if I stopped to chat with an owner at the local Home Depot... they seem to sell quickly at the Chrysler dealers too... Hard to believe it’s such an issue. If I buy, I will opt for the gold plan warranty, another 5yr/100,000kms almost bumper to bumper. I know a lot of guys talk about getting the tune and getting rid of def altogether but here in Canada, this shop wants $3500.... seems kinda crazy to spend $35,000 on a truck, then add taxes, extra warranty at another $5000, then extra for the Tune.. then there’s the interest lol.., if I were buying a used 2014 with high mileage and $15,000 cheaper, I’d skip warranty altogether and just go for the $3500 tune, this way, no problems from the day I got the truck👍👍
This forum is a very small percentage of Eco owners and not all have problems. There are many satisfied owners, who don't come on just to cheer about how good their truck is. No matter what vehicle you're buying the forums are all gloom and doom, I wouldn't own any of the vehicles I do if I had listened to the pessimists on line. My 2015 has 120,00 miles with just routine service.

·
Registered
719 Posts
This forum is a very small percentage of Eco owners and not all have problems. There are many satisfied owners, who don't come on just to cheer about how good their truck is. No matter what vehicle you're buying the forums are all gloom and doom, I wouldn't own any of the vehicles I do if I had listened to the pessimists on line. My 2015 has 120,00 miles with just routine service.
This ^^^^^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think I'm in the same boat. After reading about all the problems (even just in this forum post) I don't think I'm going to buy the truck. Even, while in the meantime, the dealership has dropped the price to $25k out the door. Since it has 60k miles and there's no warranty, I don't feel comfortable taking a chance on the vehicle. It seems like, if I did buy the vehicle I would have to spend at least $800 on a tune/delete to get the truck up to speed, so to speak. I also don't currently have a way to check if the truck already has a tune or what the condition of the EGR or intake manifold is like.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts