RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,
I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2016 ED Bighorn. Test drove it yesterday and really liked the truck, especially the ride quality. Came here to see what’s up and am pretty shocked at the level of problems found here. My question, is anyone happy with their ED? After reading through this forum, it seems that they’re rife with problems. Should I shop for another truck instead?
If you want to be continually be maintaining your vehicle, worrying about the next “limp mode”, it’s the perfect vehicle. I’m waiting on the legal system to be ridding myself of this headache. Before purchasing, look at how difficult it is to service the ecodiesel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can honestly say that had I discovered this forum before I bought my truck I would not have bought it.
It's good that you looked online before purchasing to get some owners' experiences.
For me, this is the best truck I've ever owned. Nearly 4yrs of ownership and 140k trouble free miles later I still get a smile on my face when I start up my truck.
I hope whichever decision you make is the right one for you and you're just as happy as I am in your new vehicle.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
it seems like most of the problems are from the exhaust system then? Some people are claiming that the AEM “upgrade” was fine while others say it’s BS. Some say get an aftermarket tune. You’re saying disable the EGR system altogether? Do you live in a place that doesn’t check emissions? Just trying to figure out all these acronyms! 😂
Florida has no emissions testing. NONE.

Read around more. The problems are from the emissions systems. The exhaust is just part of the mess.

One way to check to see if there is some kind of tune is to use the cruise control. if it works down to say 15 mph, it has some kind of tune.

·
Registered
718 Posts
This forum is a very small percentage of Eco owners and not all have problems. There are many satisfied owners, who don't come on just to cheer about how good their truck is. No matter what vehicle you're buying the forums are all gloom and doom, I wouldn't own any of the vehicles I do if I had listened to the pessimists on line. My 2015 has 120,00 miles with just routine service.
I went to a 6.7L Cummins forum. The crickets were playing violins.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Why not a F150 with the 3.5 EB and Max Tow? You can then comfortably tow over 10,000 pounds, there's no cylinder deactivation, and with the 10 speed you'll average OK mpg's while not towing/hauling..
That is a possibility, though I have never been an F150 fan. Ford has been good to me over the years though, technically better than Dodge/Ram has been, funny enough.
The ED is my sixth Dodge/Ram pickup, so there is a trend. The ED is now lemon #2 from Ram. And #3 is a Toyota.
I am going to try and avoid buying new if plausible, hopefully get a good deal that way.
It really comes down to what is available. I will at least look at the F150s, see what they have to offer.
Thanks for the suggestion Justin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I can honestly say that had I discovered this forum before I bought my truck I would not have bought it.
It's good that you looked online before purchasing to get some owners' experiences.
For me, this is the best truck I've ever owned. Nearly 4yrs of ownership and 140k trouble free miles later I still get a smile on my face when I start up my truck.
I hope whichever decision you make is the right one for you and you're just as happy as I am in your new vehicle.
Have you done all the aftermarket emissions mods or is your truck stock?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Typical of ED ownership ...Motor On :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,
I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2016 ED Bighorn. Test drove it yesterday and really liked the truck, especially the ride quality. Came here to see what’s up and am pretty shocked at the level of problems found here. My question, is anyone happy with their ED? After reading through this forum, it seems that they’re rife with problems. Should I shop for another truck instead?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi All,
Some people love them and some have had success, but there is no getting around the fact that they intentionally screwed customers with fraudulent software AND, when the "fix" that they were required to do basically ruined a large number of trucks they left all those customers hanging. And, of course, there's that other little issue that people's trucks are catching on fire (and they still don't have a fix). Top notch!

The only time I was able to get a customer service person with the authority to actually do something was AFTER arbitration and AFTER I sent a letter to corporate general counsel telling them I expected them to do something or they could expect to see me in federal court (then I got a call back in a hurry).

Quality is poor and customer service doesn't exist. But who knows YOU might get one that isn't a compete POS. But if you do get a turd, you were warned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2018 Ram ED. I'm not happy with the recall about the EGR system, the service man at the dealer said no big thing and parts should be available in April sometime, but when I go to YouTube and check it out several of these trucks burned in 3 minutes. My wife will not let the grandkids in it until fixed whenever that is. so I love the truck rides great 22,000 miles and still great but the recall bothers me a little. I tow it behind my Motorhome when I travel. I joined this forum to see if I could find out more info and not liking the truck that much, I might start looking for a different one. Anyway I don't know if this helps but good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi All,
Myself as an 2016 ED owner would go for the 5.7 Hemi. My ED gets 22-23 mpg around town. I was given a 2018 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi as a loaner had it a couple of days it got 19 -20 mpg i was impressed. Had I known that it would have been Hemi for me. My ED is currently using antifreeze through the EGR, dealer said keep an eye on it and the parts for the recall should be available come April. Nice truck but not worth the baggage that comes along with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a 2018 Ram ED. I'm not happy with the recall about the EGR system, the service man at the dealer said no big thing and parts should be available in April sometime, but when I go to YouTube and check it out several of these trucks burned in 3 minutes. My wife will not let the grandkids in it until fixed whenever that is. so I love the truck rides great 22,000 miles and still great but the recall bothers me a little. I tow it behind my Motorhome when I travel. I joined this forum to see if I could find out more info and not liking the truck that much, I might start looking for a different one. Anyway I don't know if this helps but good luck.
Dealers are still selling used Ram Ecodiesels for top dollar but I bet they wouldn’t offer you shit for one on a trade in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
No problems at all with my '16 Laramie Longhorn with 150K miles on it. I've used it for long hauls towing trailers and going to my local Walmart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,
I got my 2016 Bighorn ED in February 2017. I have almost 40k on it and 0 problems. I have the GDE light tune on it and I get 26-27mpg in city and 31+ on hwy @60-65mph. I love my truck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dealers are still selling used Ram Ecodiesels for top dollar but I bet they wouldn’t offer you shit for one on a trade in.
Auh...Nobody gives you sh$# for trade in. Thats how it works. They have to make their 3- $5000.00 or its not worth it. Do you work for free ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I like my 2015 Eco Laramie. View my other posts to see the repair history. Just returned from a 140 mile trip to VT and back. Got 24mpg going and 25mpg coming back. My range on a standard 26 gallon tank is over 500 miles, that is a great benefit. My mechanic got the hemi but forgot to order the 2nd fuel tank. He does local driving so his range is well under 300 miles! Always stock tuned which in this forum seems a bit rare. It was higher before the FCA tune, but not by much, and I do have $3000 in my pocket from the settlement. Have 36K miles on it. I do warm it up for 5 or 10 minutes on cold days below 30F by the way the diesel sips fuel when idling. Would definitely buy another one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
It’s been the best truck I’ve ever owned I have 50,000 miles on it now. I did do a delete on it to make it run better, more power, better gas mileage. I would love to buy a new one in a few years. I know a bunch of people that have over 150,000 miles on them and absolutely love them. There’s a little percentage of people that have issues but nobody I ever run into. It’s like anything only the shit comes to the surface nobody talks about all the good stuff. go for it man and enjoy

41 - 60 of 72 Posts