RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2016 ED Bighorn. Test drove it yesterday and really liked the truck, especially the ride quality. Came here to see what’s up and am pretty shocked at the level of problems found here. My question, is anyone happy with their ED? After reading through this forum, it seems that they’re rife with problems. Should I shop for another truck instead?
Buy mine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2016 ED Bighorn. Test drove it yesterday and really liked the truck, especially the ride quality. Came here to see what’s up and am pretty shocked at the level of problems found here. My question, is anyone happy with their ED? After reading through this forum, it seems that they’re rife with problems. Should I shop for another truck instead?
This forum has a ton of good info, but tends also be where everyone with a problem goes to bitch. Not a lot of positives being posted here. That said, I have a 2015 Outdoorsman with just under 70,000 miles and I love it. It’s GDE tuned, has a 200 pound front bumper, 500 pound bed box, and slightly oversized tires. Still averaging 26 mpg highway and 23 city. Plenty of power for my needs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,
Find a company in Canada and at least do the EGR delete which will also keep the butterflies open inside the intake and turn off hill start in settings on your radio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought a 2016 Laramie with 62k miles and I love it. First time owning a FCA truck and I'm impressed with the attention to detail and overall design. I believe most forums like this consist of owners who join because they have a problem(s) with their vehicle and are looking for a solution. Therefore, the majority opinion of forum members is likely to be skewed negative when compared to the broader population of all EcoDiesel owners. Check out this YouTube video. It's a couple of years old and was made before the recall, but it gives a good overall review of what you are getting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought a 2016 Laramie with 62k miles and I love it. First time owning a FCA truck and I'm impressed with the attention to detail and overall design. I believe most forums like this consist of owners who join because they have a problem(s) with their vehicle and are looking for a solution. Therefore, the majority opinion of forum members is likely to be skewed negative when compared to the broader population of all EcoDiesel owners. Check out this YouTube video. It's a couple of years old and was made before the recall, but it gives a good overall review of what you are getting.
I really enjoyed my my ED it is one of the best vehicles I've ever own, yes there needs to be a section for all about the good in our vehicles of course, but with that stupid recall I know that it is hard. We need to look back and see that not many of these problems came out until the AEM recall was issued and done, there was not wrong with our systems until California hunted it out, first the AEM recall was rushed to get down and on the vehicles. I heard that vehicles in California that had a simple tune down for five years and they were passing California emissions testing, further more we all bought our vehicles knowing that it had 240 HP and 420 ft lbs of torque, now they say that that didn't change with the AEM preformed I our vehicles but they never tested the AEM recall on the performance of the recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really enjoyed my my ED it is one of the best vehicles I've ever own, yes there needs to be a section for all about the good in our vehicles of course, but with that stupid recall I know that it is hard. We need to look back and see that not many of these problems came out until the AEM recall was issued and done, there was not wrong with our systems until California hunted it out, first the AEM recall was rushed to get down and on the vehicles. I heard that vehicles in California that had a simple tune down for five years and they were passing California emissions testing, further more we all bought our vehicles knowing that it had 240 HP and 420 ft lbs of torque, now they say that that didn't change with the AEM preformed I our vehicles but they never tested the AEM recall on the performance of the recall.
Sorry about the fat finger text.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 Laramie EcoDiesel. I love it. 168,000 miles. They are a litle more expensive to maintain, but the mileage really helps make up for some of that. I've hauled hockey gear all over the United States for our youth hockey team. I had to replace a water pump at 168,000. I had the AEM update applied when it came out. And will have the EGR cooler replaced under a recall when the parts are available. Make sure you find a good dealership or independent mechanic for maintenance. That is very important. I found a dealer I trust and use them. More expensive, but they are more familiar with the vehicle. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
If anyone is looking to buy a 2017 in the Northeast that is GDE hot tuned, I know a dealer that has one now. (Big Horn)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought a brand new 2016 ED. At 47K the engine went when I was out of town. The replacement engine died at 60K, on Christmas Eve. I am at 81K miles now. My back camera died, covered under warranty. A sensor on my engine went bad, cost $800 out of pocket to replace. I would not recommend buying the truck. If you do buy it, I would HIGHLY recommend some kind of warranty. Supposedly, in 2020, FCA came out with a new engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All,
It all depends on who you talk to. By and large most Ecodiesel owners love their trucks and have little to no issues. Personally, the AEM was not a good experience for me in that it created a lag on acceleration when cold. I have subsequently gotten the "fix" for this issue and it's better than it was, but could be better. Will likely be picking up a Sprint Boost Sprint Booster: The Ultimate in Throttle Response - Sprint Booster USA to clear it up completely (I hope).

I've learned you have to look at all the post on this forum (including mine) about this problem and some owners have had other issues and put them in perspective. First, what does someone do when they have a particular problem with any vehicle? We "google it", which is how I found this website. When we find an "ear" online with other people experiencing the same issues, we start spouting off and before long it seems like everyone with an Ecodiesel has a problem with their truck, and wants everyone to know how bad a truck it is and telling everyone that they 1) shouldn't buy one, or 2) unload the one they have.

Isn't this the natural progression though when you think about it? Who contributes to a forum to praise everything they love about their truck and encourages anyone they know of in the truck buying market to buy the same vehicle they love? If we're being honest, we'd have to admit not many.

After 1.5 years and 36k miles, other than the acceleration issue almost remedied, eplacing some lost coolant and a few minor recall items indicative of nearly half of all vehicles made (so it would seem), I actually do love my truck. At this point my only concern is the coolant leak which for only a handful of owners has led to catastrophic fire. FCA has issued a service bulletin that promises to have a fix for the coolant leak/intake manifold problem come mid April 2020. If I don't have a fire and it is a good fix, I'll have every reason to keep loving my truck.

Long story short, do your research: get a CarFax, ask to see all work that ha been performed by the dealer or other shops, have a certified ASE mechanic you trust go over the truck with a fine tooth comb. If it all checks out and you love the truck, buy it and don't look back!

Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did have a 2016 Laramie quad 4x2, with 86k, loved it, traded up for a 2020 eco crew w/suspension and rear barn door tail gate... my 16 I did like the interior a tad bit better than the 20, but the 20 is getting the advertised economy... the new tranny and 392 rear end is awesome, and the old body styling, you know it's a Dodge, it's distinctive...you can find my ole 2016 in checotah okla for about $22k...and she is and was a good truck... white w/a leer topper

61 - 72 of 72 Posts