RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for DPF delete kit suggestions. Anyone had good results from a particular brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts
Couple outfits in Canada that I've looked at, pricing looks good. T&S Speed and <blackhazeworkshop.com. I'll probably wait until my DPF acts up. I believe the stock DPF is designed for 150,000- 200,000 miles, maybe more. Also, if you get the GDE offroad tune and delete the DPF, can't see why you couldn't either gut out the DPF or just cut off and put a straight pipe in.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The FloPro kit would work, but hard to beat custom stainless. I'll go stainless if I ever delete.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you have the GDE Hot Tune I thought there isn't any benefits to delet the DPF system unless you have a problem with the DPF or DEF system. Plus isn't most all of that stuff related to it covered under the extended AEM warranty. Do you forfeit the AEM warranty by removing it ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Hot Tune gets your EGR turned off but you're still using the DPF and regening, and using the SCR and DEF (though this may be able to be shut off now?)

Going Offroad Tune doesn't get you any peformance benefits above the Hot Tune, but you get the benefit of removing the emissions junk that historically on diesels have been problematic.

It reads like most ppl are waiting to do the AEM update, take the money, and then tune/delete anyhow so the warranty that comes with the update is moot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have the GDE Hot Tune I thought there isn't any benefits to delet the DPF system unless you have a problem with the DPF or DEF system. Plus isn't most all of that stuff related to it covered under the extended AEM warranty. Do you forfeit the AEM warranty by removing it ?
The DPF is garbage. It creates unnecessary back pressure, and robs horsepower from an already choked engine. The difference I saw after the delete is substantial. Also, didn’t do just the Hot Tune. Gotta do the off-road tune if you want to electronically delete the DPF.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Hot Tune gets your EGR turned off but you're still using the DPF and regening, and using the SCR and DEF (though this may be able to be shut off now?)

Going Offroad Tune doesn't get you any peformance benefits above the Hot Tune, but you get the benefit of removing the emissions junk that historically on diesels have been problematic.

It reads like most ppl are waiting to do the AEM update, take the money, and then tune/delete anyhow so the warranty that comes with the update is moot.
The performance difference is there after deleting the SCR and DPF. The backpressure is gone.

·
Administrator
8,475 Posts
The DPF is garbage. It creates unnecessary back pressure, and robs horsepower from an already choked engine. The difference I saw after the delete is substantial. Also, didn’t do just the Hot Tune. Gotta do the off-road tune if you want to electronically delete the DPF.

According to GDE "the exhaust system is not the limiting factor on the Ram application, rather it is the turbocharger."

·
Administrator
8,475 Posts
Great to hear. Guess my truck is a fluke then. Cheers!

GDE did testing and the results are available on their website. Sometimes when we put effort and expense into things like this we want to believe it was worth it. Cheers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GDE did testing and the results are available on their website. Sometimes when we put effort and expense into things like this we want to believe it was worth it. Cheers.
It’s all a cohesive machine. I have a lot of other things done to the truck. Trans tune, oil cooler, CAI, off-road tune, Flo-Pro piping, shutter delete, and probably stuff I forgot. So, I guess I believe it’s worth it. Now, quit ****ing trolling.

·
Administrator
8,475 Posts
It’s all a cohesive machine. I have a lot of other things done to the truck. Trans tune, oil cooler, CAI, off-road tune, Flo-Pro piping, shutter delete, and probably stuff I forgot. So, I guess I believe it’s worth it. Now, quit ****ing trolling.

My comments aren't meant to be mean spirited. I read crazy claims all the time and sometimes I get the urge to set the record straight.

Gotta love the "put a K&N filter in and gained 2-3 MPG.
Removed the CAC silencer and eliminated turbo lag.
One of my favorites is the cold air intake.... My Ram came with a cold air intake. It pulls the air from outside the engine bay. The aftermarket CAI's pull the air in from under the hood. Go figure!

Please let's not resort to name calling. I'm obviously not trolling.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It is called confirmation bias. It is real and we are all susceptible.

·
Administrator
8,475 Posts
As spoken by a well respected member by the name of Anomaly: "Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"

·
Registered
126 Posts
According to GDE "the exhaust system is not the limiting factor on the Ram application, rather it is the turbocharger."
GDE testing aside, there is no denying that the Cat, DPF, and SCR cause the exhaust turbine increased backpressure. Like any turbine, the lower the backpressure, the greater the efficiency. This fact is well established. Whether any performance gains are considerable or measurable is open to debate. Greater efficiency across the turbo with reduced backpressure is not.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm sure that there is some miniscule improvement in boost development in certain rpm ranges. However it's likely way too small to make a measureable difference... Especially with an @$$ Dyno.

Typically a noisier vehicle will seem faster. CAI kits are a joke. They typically hurt performance and just remove dollars from your wallet. Ram, ford, gm etc.. all have stock CAI drawn from the wheel well... Not from an engine compartment heated by the radiator, intercooler, trans cooler and AC condenser.

That shiz is just facts.. sorry.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts