RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Wednesday, my 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel through a check engine light upon start up. On Saturday morning, I took the truck to the dealer in order to have the code read and was advise that the truck was not leaving the dealer with me and I'd have to find an alternate vehicle in the interim. Originally the dealer thought that the CAT needed to be replaced, since they've done at least 6 in the past couple of months, but the code that my truck threw was a DPS related code. According to the dealer, Chrysler has yet to approve anything to be replaced or fixed and has stated that this it the first time that they are seeing this code. Can anyone shed some light if this is an accurate statement as I need my truck for towing purposes and at this time my truck is collecting dust while the technicians at the dealer and Chrysler attempt t come up with some type of resolution to the code? Also, my truck has only 9,800 miles on it and besides a required software update for the DEF injection system has been somewhat problem free. I just hope that this isn't a sign of what to expect in the coming years of owning this vehicle.

·
Administrator
8,718 Posts
welcomesigntb3.gif to the forum. Sounds like a problem with the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). I hope they figure it out soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 8681 to the forum. Sounds like a problem with the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). I hope they figure it out soon.
According to the dealer they think something is wrong with the whole system. The issue has now been elevated to the Senior Technical Advisers with Chrysler for resolution. It's extremely frustrating not knowing what is wrong and not getting any answers. I'm hoping that someone on this forum may have had the same type of issue as the temperature from the exhaust tips is 400 degrees, which is in line with manufacturers guidelines.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. Take solace that you have a warranty and temper that with the expectations of inconvenience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received a lackluster of an update from the dealer late this afternoon, that they still have no idea what's wrong with the truck nor do they (or Chrysler for that matter) know how to fix it. It's becoming increasing frustrating that I can't even get an answer what's exactly wrong or how long I'll be with out it. I guess for now I'm stuck driving this [email protected] Dodge Avenger rental car, while I count the days to 30 to claim lemon law!

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
If they really say "they still have no idea what's wrong with the truck nor do they (or Chrysler for that matter) know how to fix it", then I would politely suggest to them "that is forfeiture". "So, let's not waste time, give me a new truck or buy back." In other words, a gentle wake up call...

Reactions: DJ-Gregg

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
And be gentle, there is no advantage to yelling or being mean. They are not going to do anything along the lines of a buy back until you are near the 30 day mark. Sorry for the inconvenience but things happen, that's why we have warranty coverage in the first place. Hang in there and keep us posted, BTW until they figure out what is wrong do you really want daily updates? I wouldn't but I also wouldn't want to be left in the dark. Good Luck

Reactions: Mcsap

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Sir it's strange about your cat because it's a 2015 and I haven't noticed any 2015 cats being replaced that I'm aware of I've had a couple of issues with my exhaust system please keep us posted on the results and parts that will be changed for your issues and if they will let you know the codes please post them because this is a great way to learn about our own issues and what the fix is.Thank You!!! And good luck

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Yeah, those codes would be helpful.

Hard to believe there's no figuring out what is wrong. You drove it to the dealer and, other than a silly light on the dash, it must have run fine. Hate to propose it, since I have little respect for the computer controls but maybe it's just the light that's wrong?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Do you have the exact code ? That would help.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Yeah, those codes would be helpful.

Hard to believe there's no figuring out what is wrong. You drove it to the dealer and, other than a silly light on the dash, it must have run fine. Hate to propose it, since I have little respect for the computer controls but maybe it's just the light that's wrong?
Thanks for that one Cap. It never occurred to me that false positives could be possible.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately, the dealer won't give me the exact code, although I've requested it on several occasions. I called Chrysler a few minutes ago and although they had my contact information and that the truck is currently at the correct dealer, they said they didn't have the exact code information and it must be submitted to a "case manager". Has anyone else had this type of run around? I'm starting to get the feeling that they know what's wrong but don't want to tell me because it was a huge safety issue or the cost for them is significant and are trying to figure out what to do. Any guidance or is insight on this situation would be appreciated. As an FYI, the subject title of the post is what the service writer said to me was the issue, which is probably BS to begin with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Well I still don't have the code even though I've asked several times including to Chrysler Star Service where I opened a case on this situation, due to frustration. The dealer has since removed the entire exhaust system to check for blockages, but found nothing. They reset the code, drove the truck for 2 miles and the code came back. They have since requested approval from Chrysler to replace the entire ECM to see if that fixes the code. According to the dealer this is the first time that this code has appeared, which is why neither the dealer nor Chrysler know how to fix it. This is a nightmare that a truck with 9,800 miles could have this type of issue already. I'm hoping that I don't regret this purchase!

·
Registered
496 Posts
So. .. they know what code it is, but won't tell you? Maybe you need to go in personand be a little more insistent.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts