RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I dug the jetski's out of my shop today... and pulled them the 18mi home. The path I took, starts with twisty, hilly roads... then 55 mph highway. (with some hills) and then it ends in a couple more miles of twisty, hilly back roads. SO... I wasn't expecting any miracles on the MPG's.

The trail er I was pulling, is my double jetski trailer, with a front cargo box. The larger ski is about 720 Lbs dry... the small ski is about 500 Lbs dry... the trailer is 350 Lbs. Then... figure 150 Lbs fuel/oil... and another 150 Lbs for the bucket, and gear inside. Giving a total of around 1800 to 1900 Lbs. It's a light weight trailer... but has a lot of drag.

Before rolling out, I reset a trip computer, and put it into "Tow" mode.

As I rolled out... it didn't feel any different. As in... I couldn't feel the trailer behind me. Once I got onto the main streets... it was the same. If I pushed the throttle half way down... it would accelerate with authority. As I was driving in tow mode... I noticed that the computer tries to keep the engine around 2000 RPM. And in the first section of hills... it would down shift when going down hill, and I was pushing the brakes. At that point... it would jump up to 3000 RPM, and really drag the speed down. Also... as I would expect a diesel to do.... when going up hill.... the tach would ljust hold 2000 RPM's, and I would just maintain speed.

Once I was on the highway section... I needed to pass a slow, old lady blocking the left lane. I squeezed the throttle to about 3/4... and it just went !!! It didn't downshift... and I didn't feel the extra weight. FYI... on the highway section, I was showing right at 21 mpg !!

Once on the final leg... the road gets very hilly, and twisty. (back farm roads) But, after I got home.... I was very surprised that I returned 19 mpg for the trip.

In a few more weeks... (after I get a few more miles on the truck, and the weather warms up) I will drag my boat out, and update this post. It's around 5500 Lbs, and will be a better test.

As a final FYI... I don't think the tow mode needs to be pushed with a light trailer. (but I will test that too) AND... never once, did the truck feel like it was struggling.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Good to hear. Peak torque on this engine is at 2,000rpm. I'm guessing that's what the calibrators were shooting for best towing performance. Nice information.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting. Don't know anything about that "tow-haul" mode. Guess I have it but no clue which button to press. Going to have to get out the instruction manual. What's it supposed to do?

Sure liked the way you described things. I felt right there. Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The tow haul mode keeps the transmission in higher rpms in order to maximize the torque while towing. Otherwise your truck might struggle with heavy loads when it down shifts too early at a low rpm. It should be activated by the push of a button and illuminated on the dash. My button is in the center dash under the climate control settings. There is a section on its use in the manual.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
254 Posts
The truck will perform well with your boat as well. I put a 4k lbs dump trailer behind mine last weekend and the results we the same as you described above. Pulled it effortlessly. I am curious to see how it will pull my 7800lb (dry) toy hauler now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts