RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the “Service Electronic Throttle” message a few days ago, vehicle lost all power, no acceleration, just idle speed in drive. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned it off and on a few times. When it restarted it would run on trying to crank, like there was something truly wrong. I carry a code reader with me, so I checked it out and cleared them. This allowed me to get the truck going, but it would still throw the message and kill power every half mile. I found that I could put the trans in neutral, turn off the key, restart, turn back on and keep going. I was trying to get to the dealer, which was in eyeshot. I made it a few miles until it wouldn’t do anything except idle. I finally cleared the codes again, turned it off, back on, and it was like nothing ever happened. I went to the dealership, but they wouldn’t see me due to the number of vehicles they had waiting. I just made 38K miles, so I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty. I got the truck in early June, it spent 5 days at the dealership in July with a throttle problem and check engine light. They updated the ECM, couldn’t find anything else they said.

I came to this site and read everyone’s comments. I got the vehicle at 32K miles, so I checked the air filter. It was pretty dirty, so I changed it today. Then I decided to change the fuel filter, it wasn’t too bad. I went on a test drive and after a few hundred feet, the “Service Throttle” message comes back. I stopped the truck and killed it, restarted, and it went away. The CEL is on now, same codes a few days ago, but the throttle message is gone. The codes are P0651, P0641, P0697, and U1428. The truck seems to run fine and I didn’t have to erase the codes this time.

The more I thought about when this occurred, it seem to be right after I let my foot off the accelerator, before I hit the brame, or right after I hit the brake. It was slowing down both times on idle. There is zero chance I hit both petals at the same time. I saw that cause in searching messages on this issue.

This is very similar to a problem I had once with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, the actual TPS was closing off out of range low and wouldn’t restart. The tech at the Dealership had to relearn the TPS. Finally my question, is it possible to do this reset/relearn on the ecodiesel TPS? Anyone have any ideas? I have an appointment with the dealership on Wednesday. Also, I have not had the EGR cooler recall, been waiting for parts for 6 weeks maybe. I tried to elevate with RamCares, have not heard back. It looks like I might be losing coolant too.

Any info feedback or ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
First IDK however there is a large unit plugged together on the underside of the truck directly under the driver seat that gives many codes and issues if coming apart. It is by the frame, don't recall it's name, and others here know much more than I.

Slide under the truck and ensure all cable modules are together.

Reactions: justind

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First IDK however there is a large unit plugged together on the underside of the truck directly under the driver seat that gives many codes and issues if coming apart. It is by the frame, don't recall it's name, and others here know much more than I.

Slide under the truck and ensure all cable modules are together.
I got under the truck and looked. I see several wiring harness terminations into box looking deals, some inside the frame, some out. Everything looks right, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got the “Service Electronic Throttle” message a few days ago, vehicle lost all power, no acceleration, just idle speed in drive. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned it off and on a few times. When it restarted it would run on trying to crank, like there was something truly wrong. I carry a code reader with me, so I checked it out and cleared them. This allowed me to get the truck going, but it would still throw the message and kill power every half mile. I found that I could put the trans in neutral, turn off the key, restart, turn back on and keep going. I was trying to get to the dealer, which was in eyeshot. I made it a few miles until it wouldn’t do anything except idle. I finally cleared the codes again, turned it off, back on, and it was like nothing ever happened. I went to the dealership, but they wouldn’t see me due to the number of vehicles they had waiting. I just made 38K miles, so I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty. I got the truck in early June, it spent 5 days at the dealership in July with a throttle problem and check engine light. They updated the ECM, couldn’t find anything else they said.

I came to this site and read everyone’s comments. I got the vehicle at 32K miles, so I checked the air filter. It was pretty dirty, so I changed it today. Then I decided to change the fuel filter, it wasn’t too bad. I went on a test drive and after a few hundred feet, the “Service Throttle” message comes back. I stopped the truck and killed it, restarted, and it went away. The CEL is on now, same codes a few days ago, but the throttle message is gone. The codes are P0651, P0641, P0697, and U1428. The truck seems to run fine and I didn’t have to erase the codes this time.

The more I thought about when this occurred, it seem to be right after I let my foot off the accelerator, before I hit the brame, or right after I hit the brake. It was slowing down both times on idle. There is zero chance I hit both petals at the same time. I saw that cause in searching messages on this issue.

This is very similar to a problem I had once with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, the actual TPS was closing off out of range low and wouldn’t restart. The tech at the Dealership had to relearn the TPS. Finally my question, is it possible to do this reset/relearn on the ecodiesel TPS? Anyone have any ideas? I have an appointment with the dealership on Wednesday. Also, I have not had the EGR cooler recall, been waiting for parts for 6 weeks maybe. I tried to elevate with RamCares, have not heard back. It looks like I might be losing coolant too.

Any info feedback or ideas anyone has would be appreciated.
Just had a chance to respond to your PM on this @dak8200!

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
check those 2 connectors first ,
-one under the truck
-the other above your left tibia under the dash .
the one under the truck gives a lot of error codes on the dash , sometimes impossible to re-start engine.
the one under the dash can turn your dash blacked out , comes apart if you kick it by accident .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-one under the truck
the one under the truck gives a lot of error codes on the dash , sometimes impossible to re-start engine.
the one under the dash can turn your dash blacked out , comes apart if you kick it by accident .
View attachment 87212 View attachment 87213
I’ll look at the one under the dash and check for the tie-wrap or add one. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update guys, I took it to the dealership on Wednesday AM. Didn’t hear much from the Service Advisor, so I stopped by on the way home Friday afternoon. Surprise, they said they couldn’t find anything and reprogrammed the controller. Not sure which one. The check engine light was on when I dropped it off with the codes I mentioned earlier. All the tech did was erase the codes and drive the truck about 3 miles. The codes didn‘t come back so he said he couldn’t find anything. The Service Advisor figured I would have the same problem, and he’s right, I did. I drove straight home Friday with no problems. I had to run an errand on Saturday AM. Before I got out of my neighborhood, the message was back. Same problem, Service Throttle, no power, limp mode. I pulled over, shutdown and restarted. The message went away, but the CEL stayed on, so I ran my errand. On Sunday I drove the truck and CEL went off at some point.

As you can imagine, I am pretty frustrated. I checked all of the groups I could find for this message and there seemed to be a standard list of things to check. I took those electrical connectors that were suspect apart and didn’t see much, so I cleaned them with electronic spray and put some dielectric grease around the perimeter of the one below the frame to keep it dry. I also pulled out the MAP sensor to clean it. Since I was there, I pulled out the EGR tube.

These looked terrible, but this truck only has 38K miles. I am shocked.

Post cleaning the EGR tube, I found a small warped spot that’s a bronze color and it’s protruded, like that spot got really hot and deformed.

What are the chances this solves my Service Throttle problem? I test drove the truck about 5 miles and no codes so far, but I couldn’t feel any difference in throttle performance or acceleration.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
It's all very nice that the cluster says " service electronic trotte " , but
unless you pull the code , you cannot get help , not specific enough .
your difuser tube and Map sensor full of soot look normal for a truck not tuned at 38K ,
lucky you the soot looks dry , so , no EGR leaking coolant into the Intake via the EGR cooler so far .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Problem returned, got the "Service Throttle" message and limp mode on the way to work. The only two codes now are U1428 and P0651. I am finding conflicting info on the U1428 code, one says transmission the other fuel temp. Thinking its a short, sensor going out, or a loose wire/ground. Still looking......

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
what product did you use to clean MAP sensor ??
--

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner at first, then CRC Throttle Body Cleaner. It didn't look like new, but the diaphragm at the bottom now has a clear opening.

I've had the U1428 code for a while, before and after cleaning.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
not at all ,
didn't know you had the code even before the cleaning .
half a dozen possibilities in the U1428 second link :
""Excessive air inflow can be caused by a vacuum leak, a dirty sensor or, an exhaust gas recirculation valve
not closing properly. If the problem is not enough fuel, the culprit may be dirty injectors or fuel filters, a weak
fuel pump or a leaky fuel pressure regulator. The lean fuel mix error may be accompanied by rough idling,
engine misfires, hesitation during acceleration and overall poor engine performance. "".

·
Registered
56 Posts
-one under the truck
View attachment 87212 View attachment 87213
Excellent post. Got the service electronic throttle control message while towing a 4900 lb. trailer in East TN/Western NC and had to manually downshift using the button on the steering wheel to coax it along - very poor performance. Stopped at a NAPA and pulled/cleared code. Meanwhile saw your post and photos. The locking lever on the wiring harness near left shin/foot was unlocked, so re-latched it. Ran like a champ after that. Hope it was the harness and not just clearing the code. Anyway-thanks for the suggestion and photos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry for late reply.. you will keep getting the code from the crappy black rubber band style seal on the plenum tube intake side.. in fact many used trucks will be missing the rubber band gasket that goes into the intake in the groove. the gasket is $27 and the old ones swell from the oil and junk in the gases and leak causing low boost condition. high temp properly sized o-ring stuffed into the groove for $1.25 and will fix the limp mode issue.make sure you torq those 10 mm and 8 mm bolts well with some threadlock on em as the heat and vibration will back them out and your EGR will suck air.

·
Registered
56 Posts
sorry for late reply.. you will keep getting the code from the crappy black rubber band style seal on the plenum tube intake side.. in fact many used trucks will be missing the rubber band gasket that goes into the intake in the groove. the gasket is $27 and the old ones swell from the oil and junk in the gases and leak causing low boost condition. high temp properly sized o-ring stuffed into the groove for $1.25 and will fix the limp mode issue.make sure you torq those 10 mm and 8 mm bolts well with some threadlock on em as the heat and vibration will back them out and your EGR will suck air.
Thanks. I definitely did have problems with the intake plenum on a previous occasion, but that was my fault for not tightening all (3 I think) radiator type clamps for the intake sections after cleaning my EGR diffuser tube. The incident I posted previously was after those clamps were tightened, but regardless I may check for the seal. Don't recall looking for or seeing one in previous disassemblies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts