RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably going to start servicing the drive train on my old man's 2018 Cummins. It is a 3500 SRW 4x4 with the Aisin transmission. Hoping someone has done some of these and can lend some info.

The front/rear dif's seem pretty straight forward, but do they have drain plugs?

On the transfer case. I see the manual recommends BW44-44 transfer case fluid, but I thought i could use ATF+4? If so does the Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic ATF in the redish jug work for that?

Lastly the transmission. What have yall used? I was hoping to be able to use the same Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic I have used in everything for the last 20+ years, but not sure it will work.

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
The front and rears do no have drain plugs but have reusable gaskets. The quick way, which I started doing is to drive around in 4x4 to warm up the oil, loosen all the cover bolts and remove a few at the bottom and sides. Then crack the covers but don't remove. Once they drain, just wipe it up and button them all back up. Make sure you remove the fill plugs first and check the debris on the magnets. Choose a decent 75w90 front and rear.

Maxlife will be fine for the transfer case. It has no fancy clutches, any quality atf will work. I use a thicker, 7.7cst group 4 based atf in mine. Works fine.

Some say you cannot use anything but the antiquated mobil 3309 for the aisin. Thats not totally true. Won't get into it but I have maxlife low viscosity in mine. Using an atp b463 filter. Guess what? Works perfectly fine unloaded and loaded.

The b463 is a fraction of the price of the denso made oem filter. I have heard nothing but positive things about atp as apparently they have been around for quite some time.

Make sure the maxlife is compatible with 3309. Not sure if all their flavors are though.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian, ill have to look into what 3309/maxlife low viscosity are, not familiar with them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think maxlife made a dex 3 variant, which is about that 7+cst and the dex 6 low viscosity.

The low viscosity stuff meets 3309 and asrc for mopar.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Make sure to double check on the gaskets on the differentials, some just have silicone and as such will need to be removed, polished / buffed clean and new silicone applied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
Here is some snap shots of the maxlife. Covers a wide range of applications. As you can see, 3309, 3324 (lower viscosity, WS) and as68rc, which is renamed ASRC.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So according to valvoline, I can use it in transfer case and transmission. I have two jugs of it left over, one from our old duramax/allison and the other from my ecodiesel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts