RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cross posting this from another forum, hoping for some advice from you guys here...

I had some time over the weekend to sneak under the hood of my truck to finally take care of removing the insulating foam pads. As others mentioned before, the passenger side was a breeze and only took a few minutes to do. The driver's side however, seems to have some sort of magical grip on the motor and refuses to come out.

I've searched and searched to learn how others seem to accomplish this task and learned that some disconnected the intercooler hose at that weird Henn clip, and others have somehow managed to remove the piece intact without disconnecting any plumbing. Removing the nut that holds the pipe in place gives me a tiny amount of wiggle room, but it does not seem like it provides enough movement to get at the foam.

People who were successful at this say "it takes a fair amount of force to remove"; my question is how much force is a fair amount? I did not want to start yanking and pulling at the foam only to damage whatever is underneath or around it as there are lots of little wire harnesses and plugs in the engine bay. Are there any tips or tricks that I'm missing that I could try before taking a razor and cutting into the foam?

·
Administrator
8,264 Posts
Remove the hose type clamp and lift the intercooler tube slightly. Pull the foam strait up and work it loose.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Just leave it on then.

The engine compartment looks clean and open with it on. Then, if you choose at some time to put everything back, it's already there.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I did what 97hmcs said. It took a bit of up pressure and wiggling but it will come off eventually.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I loosened one of the hose clamps and gave it a wiggle.... I figured it I could get off, but I was super concerned that I would not be able to get it back on, lol. I'll give it another look after work.

I know removing the foam yields virtually no change in temps or benefit in efficiency, but I would like to have the piece of mind and ability to monitor what's going on under there. Incidentally, the passenger side foam already looks like it's starting to blister and separate from the heat (I have a 2018 with just about 16000 miles, GDE tuned from 1100 miles).

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I read lots of people removed it. Mine has 75,500 miles on it and I haven't gotten around to pulling it out and probably wont till I have to dig it out to work on something.... lets hope I just don't have to mess wit it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Removed mine while I was changing out the intercooler pipes just because I was there. Nothing to really gain other being able to visually see the valve cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts