RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I drove from San Diego out to Lake Havasu. Before I left, I checked my coolant level (always before a long drive since it sometimes "disappears") and everything was fine. It was in the low 100's out in the desert and up to 106 on Sunday. Before driving home yesterday, my coolant was low. Super low. Like 1" above the bottom. I filled it up with 2L before leaving town and it was normal still this morning when I'm back home and left for work.
Another thing, my coolant temp usually sits about 203*. Out in the heat, the temp went up a bit and was 210*-212* just cruising around town. On the way home, going up the grade from the desert to the mountains of san diego, the temp climbed to 224*. I backed off and slowed to a crawl until I crested and everything went back to normal. I've read on here to keep temps when towing under 230*, but I wasn't towing anything unless you call 1 nagging wife, 1 screaming and puking kid, 1 golden retriever trying to be in my lap, and 1 newborn (the only quiet one), towing.

So I guess my question is: is the coolant loss in the heat and the elevated temps normal? I did not keep much of an eye on the oil temp although I did notice they were up to about 240* maybe when I started to back off the throttle coming up the grade.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My coolant temps. empty driving around town are close to 210.
If you are noticing a change in your temps. It may be a good idea to make sure the shudders are working correctly. and or a plastic bag or other debris has gotten in there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The EGR cooler is a common culprit for hidden leaks. lots of info to be found searching on this site. Im not sure how good this engine is for purging air if coolant gets low. may be worth while to have someone use a vacuum system on it to be sure it is full.
I have no problem being corrected if someone knows better.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Hi oluck96 , as long as your bottle is above the seem , there will not be air in the system

when your coolant level reaches +/- one inch from the bottom of the bottle , it will stay there ,
BUT , it will keep going down in the entire cooling system , no good for the water pump , overheating and head gaskets , etc...
read the warning from Vern on this subject , in here : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/49297-ram-ed-cooling-systems.html
when the EGr cooler develops a leak , the exhaust gases section can pump pressure into the cooling system ,
when you get more than the normal 15PSI , the bottle cap will go up , and coolant will go out by the hose that connect at the bottom
of the bottle , that hose that looks like wire loom ends at mid height of your Rad on passenger side , you would notice coolant
smell in the engine bay , to see if that is happening to you , some guys have duct taped a empty water bottle to the end of the
dead end hose , to see if coolant got out of the bottle by the bottom hose .
I have installed a Mayo jar Under the truck for that purpose , pictures in here : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/diy-how-section/56513-degas-bottle-lower-tube-extension.html
that Pink / purple bottle ( depending on coolant temperature ) is the first thing you see when opening the Hood , it is not
a coincidence that it is in plain view , it is an important thing to monitor on our engines . you are adding a lot of coolant ,
If you are still Under warranty , you should have the dealer pressure test your cooling system with the engine warm , A LOT of EGR cooler failures
out there , failing in different ways , if your coolant goes down your exhaust , it will kill your $2300 US DPF , if it only blows out the degas bottle
you will smell coolant , and have to fill all the time . if not Under warranty , there are kits out there to remove the EGR cooler , ( needing a tune for ECU ) but that is another
story depending on where you live and if you have mandatory emission testing.

·
Registered
13,189 Posts
You are getting god advice. Now go find out where that coolant is going.

Nou have no temperature problem. You have a coolant loss problem. Find it and fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts