1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yep, without spending big bucks a drop hitch is the weakest point of the hitch,
most of the drop hitches are only rated for 3500 # trailers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’ve been happy with my weigh safe. I like that it locks on and isnt easy to steal and easily interchangeable

·
Registered
386 Posts
Link to a 8 inch , but there areother sizes from same company , Rated 10,000 pounds.
maybe 10,000 at top groove , 8 inches lower I wonder about the 10,000 pounds rating ...( Aluminum )
Canadian Amazon site too , gotta find american equivalent ...

View attachment 85670 View attachment 85671 View attachment 85672
The hitch rating is for the weakest point of the hitch. So it will most likely be fine for over 10k with no drop but that wouldn't be very smart. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I’m using an Andersen 3405-25.
10,000 / 12,500 pound rating for the 2” / 2 5/16 ball. Easy to adjust and looks great. $199 for the 6” on Amazon. Comes in different sizes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use this beefy bad boy for the horse trailer. Weighs a ton, made with heavy duty steel, and comes with 2 and 2 5/16 balls. Wifey has the same hitch for the Durango.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm using the Weigh Safe 180. I looked at many and liked the way it is built. And, unlike other manufacturers, they sell every part separately in case you damage or lose something.

Weigh Safe 180

·
Registered
900 Posts
^^^^^ Same price on Amazon

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Is there such a thing as a drop hitch that has the attachment points for weight distribution bars? I need a 2 1/2" hitch bar that will drop about 8" and take the trunnion bar head such as a Reese.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Is there such a thing as a drop hitch that has the attachment points for weight distribution bars?
Like you, I have used and seen a lot of hitch types but I've never seen a drop hitch shank so equipped

·
Registered
701 Posts
It doesn't take a trunnion bar, but the Andersen WDH gives 4-8" of rise or drop. Just saying. If interested I bought my Andersen for way less than anywhere else available in Canadian $ which makes it way cheaper in American $. If interested I can give you the supplier to contact.

·
Registered
900 Posts
^^^^ Be aware that the Anderson hitch sway system will not work with a Ram unless you turn off the Ram's anti-sway system. The Anderson site will not tell you that, it's stated in their installation instructions.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
^^^^ Be aware that the Anderson hitch sway system will not work with a Ram unless you turn off the Ram's anti-sway system. The Anderson site will not tell you that, it's stated in their installation instructions.
Tell that to Vern who has hundreds of thousands of miles towing with one.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
Is there such a thing as a drop hitch that has the attachment points for weight distribution bars? I need a 2 1/2" hitch bar that will drop about 8" and take the trunnion bar head such as a Reese.
Are you looking for something like this:
That can be used with any Curt WDH assembly. I'm sure other manufacturers offer something similar.

I think you can use an adapter sleeve to for from 2.5" to 2" but it will probably rattle a bunch more.

It's odd that Anderson hitch would even mention turning off the Ram electronic sway control, maybe Vern and Bounty will chime in with their thoughts.

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's odd that Anderson hitch would even mention turning off the Ram electronic sway control, maybe Vern and Bounty will chime in with their thoughts.
This is from their installation instructions

Using the WD Hitch with late model vehicles that have electronic anti-sway

The Andersen WD Hitch features its own sway controls that are designed to auto-adjust to the load in your trailer
and prevent trailer sway when installed properly. Unfortunately, some newer electronic anti-sway systems can misread the anti-sway efforts of the Andersen WD Hitch and the anti-sway system may actually cause the trailer to sway as the two systems work against each other.

These potential issues typically occur with electronic anti-sway systems that are designed to detect trailer sway and automatically use the vehicle brakes to help control the sway. Please note that this type of anti-sway system is different from electronic traction ontrol, which does not cause this type of problem. If you experience this type of issue, you will need to turn off the electronic anti-sway in your vehicle in order to tow with the Andersen WD Hitch.

This issue is most likely to occur in 2011 and newer truck models from Ford, GMC, Dodge, and Chevy.
Refer to your tow vehicle’s owners manual to determine if you have electronic anti-sway and how to disable it while using the WD
Hitch to tow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts