RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According my service advisor, the plant that makes the EGR coolers were shutdown for 3 months. Because they were shutdown, FCA put a restriction on them. My dealer is getting one per week shipped to them. I have to be put on a waiting list to get one. Based on where I am in line, my dealer said it could take up to 9 months before I would get my EGR cooler replaced!

So, I called dealer #2. Dealer #2 is in a very rural area. They said they could probably get one in the next 2 - 3 weeks! If that is true, it appears that FCA is limiting how many EGR coolers are being sent out, but rural areas might have less demand!

And if you're really lucky, your dealer stocked up on EGR coolers before the restriction was put in place. Anyway, if you are desperate for an EGR Cooler, it might be beneficial to call multiple dealers.

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
I don’t get some of this. About a month into this COVID stuff my dealer called and texted me trying to get some work. Not one word about the inability to get the coolers. I waited until the beginning of May and finally said ok. Took it In and was done the end of the day.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don’t get some of this. About a month into this COVID stuff my dealer called and texted me trying to get some work. Not one word about the inability to get the coolers. I waited until the beginning of May and finally said ok. Took it In and was done the end of the day.
Maybe you have one of those "rare" dealers who had some fore-site and stocked up on some ?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you have one of those "rare" dealers who had some fore-site and stocked up on some ?
He also said that he had his EGR cooler replaced at the beginning of May, which was still pretty early in the game. I'm sure that nobody predicted a 3 month plant shutdown, either. I'm guessing that by June, someone discovered that the demand for EGR coolers far exceeded the limited supply, hence the restriction.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
I wouldn’t run a 14–19 without a tune. If I had powertrain warranty remaining and no leaker I would wait on a warranty EGR cooler to “better protect” powertrain warranty. If I had power train warranty remaining and a leaker I would do an EGR delete kit and just put the plastic cover back over the engine. No powertrain warranty remaining hands down an EGR cooler delete kit. Cheaper, permanent, no unnecessary drag on the cooling system. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn’t run a 14–19 without a tune. If I had powertrain warranty remaining and no leaker I would wait on a warranty EGR cooler to “better protect” powertrain warranty. If I had power train warranty remaining and a leaker I would do an EGR delete kit and just put the plastic cover back over the engine. No powertrain warranty remaining hands down an EGR cooler delete kit. Cheaper, permanent, no unnecessary drag on the cooling system. Just my thoughts.
For now, I'm going to install the GDE compliant tune. That's probably not the decision you would recommend, but I'm hoping it's a good compromise between improving engine longevity and still staying legal. I talked to a guy about a month ago who just turned 185,000 miles on his stock EcoDiesel. I'm hoping with the GDE compliant tune, I can push the engine over 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All is well with my new cooler. Had it installed back in April
I should have had mine done back in April/May, but at that time, I was planning to sell/trade it. When we purchased our 2020 EcoDiesel last week, I decided to keep the 2015. It's been a good truck and I couldn't bring myself to sell/trade it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
When my service dealer told me I had to wait to be called, I just took my truck in and left it with them anyway. They said it would be a while and I said ... "no problem, I'll drive my Sierra while I wait". Within the week I had a call that it was ready with all recalls done.

If it's "there", and a cooler comes in they'll do whatever is sitting in the yeard before waiting to call someone in.....

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
Biodiesel, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that choice. You may remember my old buddy Steve went 212k on the stock ECM with no problems towing until health retired him & he sold the truck.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Biodiesel, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that choice. You may remember my old buddy Steve went 212k on the stock ECM with no problems towing until health retired him & he sold the truck.
I had forgotten that, but thanks for the reminder. 212K is pretty impressive for a stock engine.

According to GDE, there's a 75% soot reduction in cylinder, so I think I'm making a good decision. He also said there should be a tune ready by next summer for the 2020+ trucks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have been #3 on the list at my dealer since early April. I am now still at #3 in late July.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been #3 on the list at my dealer since early April. I am now still at #3 in late July.

You may want to call other dealers for a better outcome. You're service department should be putting in orders. And if they aren't getting orders, they should be calling FCA and asking why they haven't received any. The purpose for the restriction is to keep a few select dealers from hoarding EGR coolers while others are in need. Some people have EGR cooler failures RIGHT NOW. Others, like myself, have already had the EGR cooler replaced once. This will be my second time, and mine isn't leaking. But I really don't want to wait for a leak, either. That's another reason why I wasn't super motivated to get the EGR cooler replaced back in April when the part was released. I figured there were people who were in dire need of getting their trucks repaired.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Not so lucky here in Silicon Valley, as they are quoting me 6-8 months! The said that there are many ahead of me.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not so lucky here in Silicon Valley, as they are quoting me 6-8 months! The said that there are many ahead of me.
That's pretty much what my dealer told me, too. If you don't mind driving to a more rural area, you may try contacting a few other service departments for a quicker turnaround.

Reactions: Anomaly

·
Registered
12 Posts
Talked to my service advisor today. I am #18 on the list and they are only getting 2 replacement EGR's per month!
Puts me 36 weeks out? Glad I am tuned I will say..

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Talked to my service advisor today. I am #18 on the list and they are only getting 2 replacement EGR's per month!
Puts me 36 weeks out? Glad I am tuned I will say..
Yeah, I called a third dealership today. They told me they are averaging two per month, but they're supposed to be getting one per week. My 2015 isn't tuned yet. I was hoping to get the new EGR cooler installed before getting the GDE tune.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Really strange that it’s taking some dealerships so long to get parts. When I brought mine in for inspection 3 weeks ago the parts manager said they were on “nationwide” back order so he didn’t know when they’d get in, but he would call me. Got a call yesterday and am sitting at my dealers now while the new unit is being installed...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really strange that it’s taking some dealerships so long to get parts.
It's not taking dealers a long time to get the part (typically 1 - 2 week wait time). The list of people who are waiting in line to be called is where the delay comes in. Bigger metropolitan areas have more EcoDiesels in a concentrated area, therefore the demand is higher than the the supply. The rural areas have less demand, so their turnaround is much quicker.

Reactions: Anomaly
1 - 20 of 59 Posts