RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just talked with my dealer and they said the same thing, they were getting 3-4 a month. They ended up putting a parts order, in my name, in with the parts department. They said that seems to be working occasionally rather than waiting for the recall allotment. She said it might be 2 weeks using that method. They would call me when 'my' part came in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Damn. Sorry about your truck Nitro. My dealerships have 35 on backorder at one location and the other said they hadn't received any in 3 months (STX).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dont have to worry about my part any more. Been waiting about 2 months.
Sorry, Nitro. I hope this doesn't turn you off to the Ecodiesel, but I understand if it does.

I check my coolant level often in hopes to avoid this from happening, but there's not much you can do when the EGR cooler fails while on a long trip. I had my EGR cooler replaced once, but I'm on the list to get the new updated part. I hope it comes quickly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ya, pretty bummed about the whole deal. Really liked that truck. Last weekend we got 30+ mpg. It pulled my camper pretty good too. Always watched the coolant lvl and it was good before we left. No codes just lost throttle and started to down shift. Then shut down. Once we got to a stop smoke started coming out of the hood. Gave us enough time to get important things out.

This does make it hard to get another eco. I'll prob be looking at going back to the cummins. I would try the 2020, but that's is a lot of money for this ol fireman.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This does make it hard to get another eco. I'll prob be looking at going back to the cummins. I would try the 2020, but that's is a lot of money for this ol fireman.
My 2020 should be delivered by the end of next week. If so, I will be driving that until the EGR cooler comes in.

You can't go wrong with a Cummins. Either way, if you're interested in ordering a Cummins or EcoDiesel, my dealer in Utah will sell you a truck for under invoice. My 2020 EcoDiesel was about about $12,000 off MSRP.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry to see this as we also take many long trips pulling a trailer and I’ve been adding a little coolant here and there and haven’t had the EGR replaced. I’m not going to stop camping to worry about this truck, but I have to say it must be a huge hassle to be on the road with a camper and no tow vehicle.
Can you tell me if the fire did any damage to your camper and did you have time to pull the propane tanks? Will FCA cover the truck replacement or do we have enough fire history to predict the outcome for owners?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
did you have time to pull the propane tanks?
If you look at the first photo, you can see the propane tank off to the side. It looks like he got it removed.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
103 Posts
Biodiesel, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that choice. You may remember my old buddy Steve went 212k on the stock ECM with no problems towing until health retired him & he sold the truck.
V
I wouldn’t run a 14–19 without a tune. If I had powertrain warranty remaining and no leaker I would wait on a warranty EGR cooler to “better protect” powertrain warranty. If I had power train warranty remaining and a leaker I would do an EGR delete kit and just put the plastic cover back over the engine. No powertrain warranty remaining hands down an EGR cooler delete kit. Cheaper, permanent, no unnecessary drag on the cooling system. Just my thoughts.
Vern,
I have a tuned 2014 with 90k miles. I got the GDE tune after the AEM was done with my extended warranty running to 145k. I believe my EGR may be leaking but I’m adding only a cup or so of coolant per month. I’m confused on what to do. I pull a 6,000 camper often and don’t want to get stuck with a failure while “ on the road”. Who installs the EGR delete kits?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Vern,
I believe my EGR may be leaking but I’m adding only a cup or so of coolant per month.
Something is leaking .....
I have a 2016 with 85,000km on it and I have never added anything .... and that means "anything" to my truck other than DEF. If you are adding a cup of coolant per month, you have what I would call a leak worth looking for.

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
It may be elsewhere certainly inspect hose connections thermostat & water pump weep hole. But you very well may have an EGR cooler leak just starting. Normally they don't get bad fast. If your truck has never had the EGR cooler replaced under warranty as a 2014 you should be first in line so to speak. If its not warranty covered you can buy an EGR delete kit online and have a local shop do the delete.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had my EGR cooler replaced yesterday! Last week I went in for an oil change and tire rotation and let them know I had received my recall on the cooler and they told me it could be several months before they would be able to get at it. I was also told they were doing only one a month and I was number seven on the list. I got a call 2 days later and they said my parts would be in on Friday (same week). I asked him about the "wait" and his reply was: I dont know whats going on? Go figure!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been waiting on the EGR recall because I've already gotten it replaced once under warranty, plus I am tuned with no replacement stock ECU. Funny enough my dealer told me they have the parts in stock and ready to go... looks like I'll be biting the bullet soon on the recall and the new compliant GDE plus trans tune. Just hope the dealer doesn't screw anything up...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was able to schedule an appt with My local Dealer in Fort Myers and they completed the warranty EGR replacement July 18th 2020

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thought I replied by cell, obviously not. Dealer called today, EGR parts will be here late next week, and appointment for the following week

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
looks like I'll be biting the bullet soon on the recall and the new compliant GDE plus trans tune.
I ordered the GDE compliant tune yesterday. I want the tune ready to go once the EGR cooler is replaced.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Dealers are making excuses because they don’t have enough mechanics.
I don't think dealers are making excuses. The problem is a lack of parts.

On a different note, it is true that many dealers have a limited number of diesel mechanics. My dealer is one of two Ram dealerships in a large city (Albuquerque). Even though my dealer is large, they only have one tech who works on the EcoDiesel.

Reactions: MillSpeed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to see this as we also take many long trips pulling a trailer and I’ve been adding a little coolant here and there and haven’t had the EGR replaced. I’m not going to stop camping to worry about this truck, but I have to say it must be a huge hassle to be on the road with a camper and no tow vehicle.
Can you tell me if the fire did any damage to your camper and did you have time to pull the propane tanks? Will FCA cover the truck replacement or do we have enough fire history to predict the outcome for owners?
Yes I got the tanks off. I did forget about the 5 gallon tank of gas in the bed with my new generator. The fire never got past the drivers compartment. The wind was blowing the smoke and heat away from the camper. So no damage to it. I was able to unhook, but couldn't do anything else with it. Once the air bags and tires blew the hitch went way up in the air. My insurance should have investigated the truck today. I should know something Thursday. They were very interested in the recall. I expect FCA will tell me to take a flying leap. I have a couple nice videos of the fire.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts