RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me if there has been discussion on this and I apologize for my ignorance but what's the difference between the 14-16 and the 17-18 ECMs that the earlier ones didn't meet EPA standards but the new ones do? Couldn't they have just loaded the 17-18 ECM firmware into the older trucks or are there enough differences that it wouldn't work? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The EPA stopped FCA from selling any trucks in 2017 because they claimed that they did not meet EPA standards. FCA had to reprogram the ECM's and have them recertified before selling any trucks and as a result virtually no Eco Diesel trucks were sold in 2017.

We are getting our reflashed to the 2017 specs.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I, on the other hand, am often accused of being smart. I'm so smart they call me Alec.

I think there were a few other tweaks necessary on the pre-17s so the EPA required fix was not as easy as just reprogramming the ECM.

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
After the re-flash ... probably little to no difference. All they are basically doing is making the '14-16's like the '17's and '18's.

Now there may be a slight equipment difference. Just really do not know. Actually, there's lots we don't know but one thing is true, you question is smart.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Just seemed like it should have been easier, but I guess when you get lawyers and the government involved, nothing is easy.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks guys. Just seemed like it should have been easier, but I guess when you get lawyers and the government involved, nothing is easy.
Well, they have to be paid as well and to be paid they have to do something and to do something they have to take time and effort.

I've been a farmer (until 22), student, and now a professor. I've been accused of being dumb, smart, a jackwagon, and several other problems. However, ain't never been accused of being a lawyer.

In the end, it all costs the consumer. Everything is paid for by the consumer. The purchase price of the truck? The consumer. The DOJ and EPA personnel? The taxpayers (consumers). The FCA payouts? The consumer. They just spread it around like soft butter. People buying Dodge Durangos should be pissed that part of their vehicle payment is going back to some small group of customers, EPA coffers, and lawyers (on both sides). Oh, wait I bought a Durango too so that means I paid myself.

It's a small world after all. Such a small world after all. Altogether now, let us sign a song of unity under the golden sun of peace and prosperity in the shape of a hammer and sickle.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
918 Posts
The EPA stopped FCA from selling any trucks in 2017 because they claimed that they did not meet EPA standards. FCA had to reprogram the ECM's and have them recertified before selling any trucks and as a result virtually no Eco Diesel trucks were sold in 2017.

We are getting our reflashed to the 2017 specs.
And that is why I got my 2017 for $30k OTD!

I heard they had a mountain of 2017's to get rid of last year. The initial "throw me a bone" price was $28.9k, impressive.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Please forgive me if there has been discussion on this and I apologize for my ignorance but what's the difference between the 14-16 and the 17-18 ECMs that the earlier ones didn't meet EPA standards but the new ones do? Couldn't they have just loaded the 17-18 ECM firmware into the older trucks or are there enough differences that it wouldn't work? Just curious.
Hi: JohnnyMac... Maxwell Smart was smart as a whip... but he still had to take off his shoe to make a call, and that smarts!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
714 Posts
OK, I think lawyers and the government may be almost an oxymoron? Seems like when lawyers can't pick our pockets fast enough, they run for office.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts