RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find a way to see what gear I'm in. I have the evic and the 8.4a. Am I missing something ?

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Other than learning what rpm and speed fits into each gear, I have no clue. Good question.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. It'd be nice to have a screen that shows which gear is engaged.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I have found that if you use the up or down gear buttons, one can figure out what gear you were in. The annoying thing about using those buttons is that you have to go the way up to cancel the gear change and go back to automatic shifting.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So, I feel better now at least I have company unlike my starting issue. Just makes sense for it to be there with all the other info available.

·
Registered
396 Posts
the way I do it, and there may be a better way, is hit the gear select down button once then hit the gear up button all the way to 8th. now as the truck shifts up or down it will show what gear you are in on the left and on the right it will show the highest gear you want to allow. in this example it would be 8th. you have to do this each time you start the truck but I do find my self doing it anytime I'm going more than 20-30 miles.

·
Registered
738 Posts
the way I do it, and there may be a better way, is hit the gear select down button once then hit the gear up button all the way to 8th. now as the truck shifts up or down it will show what gear you are in on the left and on the right it will show the highest gear you want to allow. in this example it would be 8th. you have to do this each time you start the truck but I do find my self doing it anytime I'm going more than 20-30 miles.
That's exactly how I use it as well

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, on the left and right I'll try it and look for it. I haven't tried the manuals shift buttons yet. Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, I have found that if you use the up or down gear buttons, one can figure out what gear you were in. The annoying thing about using those buttons is that you have to go the way up to cancel the gear change and go back to automatic shifting.
If you hold the UP button for a couple of seconds it reverts back to automatic shifting. Overall, I think this is a very nice feature of this automatic in that you can select the top gear you want to be in and at the same time know the actual gear you are in. Great transmission ZF and Ram!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I noticed oon the way up north today of you are using the shift buttons it shows in your evic what gear you are in, except for 8th it just comes up "D"

·
Registered
396 Posts
If I manually select 8th as the highest heat allowed mine will show a smaller gray 8 (gear I'm in) and to the right of that a white 8 (highest gear allowed)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hers what I did I hit the - gear button while driving and right beside the PRND5 8 you can select it to 8 and leave it alone and it will continue to show what gear your in. To get the 8 up hit the plus gear button till it shows top gear you want to achieve. Not sure everyone has gear buttons on the steering wheel like mine. I got it to do what I was looking for. Thought I would share.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts